1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a field for people who want to list their real names

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by joeyconnick, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No wait! I have this totally RADICAL idea: why don't you add the field as suggested... or at least provide a better rationale against it than "I still don't like the idea"?

If you want to stay with the status quo simply because it is the status quo, that's fine, but you should at least be honest and upfront about the fact that that's what's going on. Instead we have you and Dave making out like the change is somehow problematic and then proceeding to find every way under the sun to NOT make the change but to address the issue raised by the change, which is that there's no consistent way for people to indicate what they want to be called, despite the fact that the proposed change is the simplest way to address the issue.

But yeah, people's signature is where that info should go, even though people's signature is where most of the info under the avatar could also go.

The field suggested isn't something superfluous like "Favourite colour" or "Shoe size" or "Tonsils: In/Out?" It wasn't brought up as a suggestion out of the blue just to give the mods something to do. It was something that came up in discussion organically on a relatively popular thread and was picked up on by some others as a nice addition.

I'd be willing to bet that for many people, someone's name is a much more important identifier than their sexual orientation or their age. But I guess the terrible threat of electronic clutter just trumps all that.

Yes, because that's EXACTLY what the suggestion was about. The mods having the ability to edit their status text. Bravo!

2. davo-man

I think most of the info in the column under ur username is relevant as is, apart from Join Date...Personally, I never look at this, while I looka t all the other fields such as Location, Gender, Orientation, Age so that I know who Im talking to, and to a lesser extent Post Count. I would find the field of Name a good idea cos I never remember people's real names, but I can see that the left column is getting a bit cluttered. Personally, I would want the Join Date replaced by Name, but that's just my preference.

I also agree that putting names in sigs is a good idea cos its right there and it doesnt look odd if ppl don't put it there for anonymity reasons. That's the main reason that I was able to learn Morgan's name, cos it was right underneath her posts

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have a radical idea for you too. Why don't you read everything that ALL the mods have posted here? This is being discussed in the mods area too and the unanimous view so far is that we do not need it and do not want it. It has sprung up from one thread and is making a problem of something which has never been a problem here until you made it a problem.

It could also encourage people to include their full names which for some people may not be a good idea for their safety/privacy. As it is we remove peoples last names, email addresses, phone numbers and other identifiable details from threads quite regularly. We tell them what we have done and why, and invariably they agree, thanks us and say they just weren't thinking.

Multiply that not thinking by everyone being encouraged to post their real names in their profiles and some members could be opening themselves to much bigger problems.

EDIT: closed while we have further discussions in the mods area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.