1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Action, Adventure, and/or Fantasy Book Series Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bruh, Oct 12, 2018.

1. bruh

bruh Guest

Like the title suggests, I'm searching for a new book series to start, and action, adventure, and fantasy are my favorites. However, the problem is that it's hard to come across a fantasy or young adult novel WITHOUT the plot being heavily pushed or driven by romance, which is what I'm looking for. I appreciate that romance on any level, minor to major, humanizes a character(s), but jesus christ, I can only take so much. I've already got the Divergent, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Kane Chronicles, Summomer, and the Hunger Games series.

Thanks in advance

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For some heavy science fiction without the silly romance, you should check out pretty much anything by Isaac Asimov. He delves into human psychology pretty well considering the stories are about robots.
    They are written by a few different Authors but there is a number of books about hyper intelligent AI controlled tanks called Bolos. Also heavily into human psychology despite being about war machines.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Its dark but its not horror like most people associate him with. Parallel worlds and alternate time lines.

For high fantasy and heavy grim dark, you can find collections of short stories from The Black Library that is all based on the Warhammer 40k universe. Also based on the more fantasy setting of just Warhammer, look for books about Gotrek & Felix. Kind of Lord of the Rings, but no love story and the Dwarf is ten times the badass as any of the Dwarves in LOTR, he is missing an eye and has a Mohawk. Good mix of action and humor.

There are two or three Hellboy novels... I don't have them in front of me but they are interesting because like the comics the stories are based on myths and legends from different regions and cultures around the world.

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anything by Robin Hobb. Seriously. Start with the Farseer Trilogy.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    • Anything by Tamora Pierce - I specifically recommend the Song of the Lioness quartet and the Immortals quartet
    • The Johannes Cabal series by Jonathan L. Howard
    • Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and its sequel Shadowscale
    • Shades of Magic trilogy by V. E. Schwab (I cannot possibly recommend this one enough) and her entirely unrelated book Vicious
    • Newsoul trilogy by Jodi Meadows
    • Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo
    • The Raven Boys cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

If you're fine with zombies, I just finished Dread Nation by Justina Ireland, a YA historical sci-fi novel set in an alternate history where the dead starts to rise during the Civil War. It's damn fantastic and romance is not at all the focus.