1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acclaimed gay author will not be able to address schools

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mirko, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just came across this news article on cbc.ca. Thought I'll share it with you guys.

Gay author no longer welcome to address N.B. students
    Pressure from parents
    Last Updated: Friday, October 10, 2008 | 3:58 PM AT CBC News

A plan to have an acclaimed gay author speak to students in Charlotte County high schools has been scrapped after a few parents objected.

Alex Sanchez writes books about gay youth and their struggle to find acceptance, but local school principals were not comfortable allowing him to address their students.

Jay Remer, spokesman for the Charlotte County Rainbow Support Group, said Sanchez is a terrific public speaker whose message is about tolerance.

He said Sanchez’s mission is “to help the gay youth in the community to feel less isolated and more part of the community as a whole.”

Remer’s group is one of the sponsors bringing Sanchez, who lives in Florida, to New Brunswick.

"The idea was to try and have an audience of maybe as many as 1,500 students," Remer said.

But Sanchez won’t be able to spread his message in School District 10 because some parents have pressured principals, he said.

Keith Pierce, District 10 superintendent, said he changed his mind about allowing the author to speak in area schools after meeting with school principals.

"A few of them were getting pressure from a few parents, and they just weren’t comfortable going in that direction," Pierce said.

Some principals felt their schools were just “not ready” for the kind of presentation that Sanchez will give, he said.

In 2002, the American Library Association named Sanchez’s book Rainbow Boys to the list of Best Books for Young Adults.

Sanchez is still coming to New Brunswick. He will give a presentation at Wesley United Church in St. Andrews.

2. NuthinButLuv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly why they need the presentation. People just don't make sense.

3. Amy

Amy

correct me if i am wrong, but arent schools supposed to teach tolerance?

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's too bad that so many students lose out because of a few ignorant parents. Even if those parents chose to keep their kids out it would be better than not allowing it at all.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If they're in High School and a few brickhead parents think they're not ready to learn about acceptance yet, they never will be. So they pull him out of high schools and drop him into a church? Asshats.

6. biisme

I love that author. God, I'd love for him to be able to speak at our school. It's such a shame.

7. GuitarGirl1350

ALEX SANCHEZ IS AMAZING and should be able to connect with and educate kids on tolerance. It's just too bad he can't because this world runs backwards.