1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidental Gay Friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ARC36, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ARC36

Ok so I've experienced a kind of phenomenon, and I've heard it happens to some other LGBT people on occasion. Have you ever formed a group of friends or made friends with people knowing nothing about their sexuality or gender identity and then boom, 3 years later you realize you, and everyone else in your friend group is gay(I mean this as an umbrella term) or at least a few of them. I have a group of 5 friends, only two of which are straight. This was all really confusing for each of us because for the longest time we all thought we were the only ones. 4 out of 6 of us. That's statistically very unlikely.

Why? Is there any logic and reasoning behind this?
    I mean, I fall into the art crowd and, you know, there's that stereo type about artists being gay(again, umbrella term) and all.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Just thought it was kinda interesting.

2. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This actually did happen to me, I had a group of five friends and one was Asexual, another was Bisexual, and another was Demisexual, then you had me the Pansexual. So that's four out of six for me too! The Demi and the Bi were the only artsy types, but generally we were all mostly outcasts.

3. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, I have. ALmost all of my friends fall somewhere on the LGBT spectrum while I had no idea they were when we all first met. Out of my group of about 10-12 friends from highschool, only two of them didn't fall somewhere on the LGBT spectrum. It's a really cool and interesting phenomenon.

4. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There's a post on here about gaydar. I have been exactly in the scenario you are describing.

5. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, happened to me. I have at least 4 other friends who fall on the LGBT spectrum that I became friends with before knowing. We seem to be the only queer people in our grade as well xD Funny how we gravitated to each other

*in addition, I met 2 of them when we were 6 xD

#5 galaxygia, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find that it's quite likely for LGBT folk to run into other LGBT folk in life pretty often. I think that it's because you're different, and you know it. Then it makes you more relatable to other people who are that kind of different. And so there is a chance that you understand each other a little more than you understand non-LGBT people. Even if you guys didn't know each other were also LGBT, you guys all had that vibe and were able to relate to each other. At least, that's my theory.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2017 at 05:58 PM ----------

You know, I made friends with someone who happened to be gay, and someone who happened to be pansexual.

7. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like this happens to me sometimes. I remember in middle school I was really lost when it came to my sexuality and attractions. My best friend and I were friends from 5th-8th grade and she ended up getting a girlfriend in 7th grade.

I came out of the closet to one of my friends freshman year and he came out of the closet to me after I did, and now two of my best friends are lesbians..and we didn't start talking to each other or connect because we're all lesbians.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is a subconscious thing, but you're drawn to people like yourself. That's why it's so common for LGBT people to have LGBT friends even if they don't know yet.

My own friend group is like that. I'm trans (and gay), one of my childhood friend is a lesbian and the other one is bisexual. Then, most of the people I end up hanging with are LGBT, and I find that out later. Unfortunately, that doesn't make it more likely to find a boyfriend, because most of those friends are girls.

9. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well my best friend turned out to be genderluid and asexual, so we both came out to each other about our sexuality and gender at the same times. Also when visiting my future school I befriended two people, one of which was bi and the other pan.

RainbowGreen's explanations seems pretty accurate.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2017 at 09:50 AM ----------

Forgot to mention that I befriended those last two people before learning about their sexualities. But I suppose that's a given in this thread.

10. rebelAssassin

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My friend group is totally filled with LGBT. I thought my best friend was straight for the longest time, which would make her the only one of my irl friends. (like, the close friends, not the class friends) Then, very surprisingly, she came out to myself and one of my trans friends 2 days ago at lunch as a panromantic asexual. Talk about mind blown! Of my closest friends at school, not a single one is 100% straight.

I agree with RainbowGreen, as well. I believe that we, as LGBT, gravitate to others who are LGBT because we know they will accept us, and because we know they likely won't kick up a fuss. (except to yell "I knew it!" in the middle of lunch when you finally come out to them) Even if we don't know they're LGBT from the beginning, we will still be drawn to them and try to befriend them. I've come to think of this as a sort of defense mechanism. LGBT people flock to others of their kind because they know that most other LGBT people won't scold them or yell at them in abject horror when they come out. They feel they will be safe and free to be themselves. My school's LGBT community was so much larger than I though it would be, so much larger than when I attended the school 4 years ago. (2nd time going to this school) That makes me really happy, because kids are finally accepting themselves in a social setting. Several of the parents in the community are also fine with our community, which is fairly a bit shocking. (We live in Small Town, Oklahoma here, buckle on the Bible Belt and all that)

Ranting aside, I'm just so happy for everyone at my school, and everyone on EC, that's had the courage to come out and try to be themselves.

11. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes! None of us were out when we met, but one Ace, two lesbians, and a bi girl in my friend group all came out within the year.

12. Renegades

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yep. I was just wondering if the same thing happened to other people. In middle school, there was only one friend who was out, saying that she was bi. I was the next one to come out, and now nearly everyone in the group is queer. The majority of the group is bi, with my first out friend now lesbian, and another friend who is out as a pan FTM guy.

13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know some people that are LGBT in my friend group, but not many. However, there are some I believe might be somewhat closeted as they sometimes say rather questionable things but are adamant that they're straight. :/

My group is fairly mixed, but is slightly more male. I am aware of 8 other LGBT people (or at least the ones that identify that way) but in terms of close friends...I'd say about 2. My two best friends are both straight. I'm friends with a girl that's bisexual, and I'm also friends with a gay guy. That's about it.

One of my best friends however, whom is straight, has a friend group of her own that is primarily LGBT. When I first came out to her, she remarked "Why are nearly all my friends gay? Do I just attract gay people?" :lol: However, for me my friend groups tend to be made up mostly of straight people. (Although, a few of my male friends act rather differently when drunk and sometimes act more bisexual than straight but they prefer to identify as straight because they prefer women. That's their reasoning).

That's actually how I met a girl who's pansexual, because she's friends with my best friend. Haven't seen her since though, so I wouldn't consider her a friend. More an acquaintance.

I knew of four LGBT people at school. I was only friends with one of them though.

As for the eighth person, I didn't know them that well, and they left College fairly early so...yeah.

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Researchers have observed LGBT children are more likely to be gender non-conforming in their activities, and their friends are more likely to be tolerant than homophobic (hence why many come out to their friends before family). I am also one of those artistic types, and most of my school friends were either artists or musicians, so it has been great to learn more and more of them are LGBT.

15. guitar

In grade 8 in my close group of friends there were 4 of us, and 3 of us were gay.

16. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happened to me too. I had a few straight friends here and there but my recent best friends were lesbian and aro ace. I knew a lot of bi women in my old circles as well, but we've lost contact.

17. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me too, I have two friends, who I thought were straight. Then suddenly, one of them tells me he's bi and the other one says the same. Then I say I'm gay.

18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kinda. We're somewhere between friends and acquaintances, but more on the friends side. She's bi, and idk if she knows I'm gay.

Then there's this guy I talk to on the bus and didn't know he was not straight until he started a guy.

19. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in middle school, i had a group of friends that were "experimenting". 6 of us considered ourselves "bisexual" at the time, which we had no idea until we all came out to each other. as time went on, 3 out of the 6 of us were fully gay,1 remained bisexual, and the other 2 were straight. not sure if it was accidental or not.

20. Stride

Stride Guest

I wish lol