1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abuse

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by J1928, Sep 28, 2021.

?

Should I call CPS?

1. I call

2. I don't call

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. J1928

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if this is the right server, but it says physical health. So I am being physically, verbally, and emotionally abused, and I have been thinking about this a lot. I want to call CPS(child protective services). In another LGBTQ+ chatroom, someone said that CPS doesn't take complaints about anything other than abuse, neglect, or sexual abuse, but another person said the opposite and I am confused. I can get recordings of them making threats and insulting me but it would be hard to take a video of my getting abused phsyically. I don't have any current bruises and my siblings will have another story that would oppose mine. Do I have enough evidence to call CPS or should I wait it out until I have a mark on my body or get a recording of it?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not an expert on this issues but I have had CPS called on me as a parent. This was in the early 2000s and things may have changed since then. They came out to the house and looked for certain things such as if there was enough food and whether there was any proof of imminent danger (there was none even though they were called out practically monthly for several years). They only started the procedures to take our children out after my daughter fell and had a scrape on her knee. I am thinking that hearing about threats might get them to come out and investigate but would not be proof enough to have them remove you to safety. I also think that if their insults towards you are about them being homo or transphobic that would not be enough to even warrant an investigation (I base that on the police reaction to my trying to get help after someone tried to kill me in 2012 but that was in a different city in California).

3. J1928

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for replying. The threats aren't about homophobia nor are the insults they are mainly about physical harm or sometimes they are sexual. Would that count?

4. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "If you do not shut up I am going to knock you into next week" or similar such things would probably been seen as simply hyperbolic and not a serious threat.
    "shut up or I will beat you like I did last month" might be but it would probably have to be recorded in order for it to be proof, unless you had a witness that you had physical proof of abuse the previous month.

Sexual threats? It really depends, if you are in real physical danger of being raped or something like that you should simply go to the police and they will call CPS and other agencies for you. I am not sure what else would count as a sexual threat.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey!

I’m so sorry you don’t feel safe at home, that must be very scary and so difficult to deal with.

You mentioned bruises, do you feel like you are in physical danger? You also mentioned sexual threats?

Remember, if you feel like you are in danger of physical or sexual assault: you can and should dial 911 for a quick response and to make sure you are safe. As for the CPS, I’ll have to consult with my US colleagues but if you are in danger, they will take this seriously.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you are living in. It sounds very scary for you.

I wonder if you feel able to say more about what's going on? It sounds like the abuse is emotional as well as physical and in your most recent response you talk about threats of a sexual nature. I know it's very difficult, but do you think you can tell us exactly what is going on? When you are being attacked and threatened, who is doing it and what are they saying to you?

If you don't wish to write it here, could you tell the staff team privately, by creating a thread in the Ask The Staff sub forum, or even write a private message to me? We'll be able to give you better advice if you can provide us with more information.

Don't suffer alone and remember to call 911 if you are in immediate danger.

7. J1928

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is both my father and mother, but my mother beats me more often while my father insults me more. They both threaten me daily. My mother usually says things like I'm afraid I'll accidentally kill you or I'll rip your butt(she uses the swear word for it) in half. My father says that he will beat me which he usually acts upon more often than my mother. Also, it happens on a daily basis. By the way, thank you for all the replies! I honestly did not think I would get an answer.

8. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m so sorry you have to deal with that. It does sound like you need protection, and I think the CPS will take your case seriously. Do you have the information you need to contact them? Please stick around the forum and maybe start a thread in the Ask the Staff sub forum (where only you and the staff can see it) and we’ll try and help in any way we can.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  9. BiGemini87

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I would most definitely get in touch with CPS as fast as you can. Proof or not, you're not in a healthy, loving environment. Please do whatever you can to get out of that situation; call 911, go stay with a family member or friend you trust--whatever it takes to get out of that toxic place.