1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to give up on dating (22 m)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SuperMagnetic1, Dec 5, 2015.

1. SuperMagnetic1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I met this guy on S***** who is also 22 and we had a really good conversation (in person) and it seemed like we liked each other. He even made out with me for 5 minutes before he left, and told me multiple times that he wanted to see me again.

I put my number in his phone that night and he texted me 20 minutes after I left saying that he had a good time and we arranged a place to meet up again (which is next weekend). I asked him how his day was going yesterday and I still didn't get a response. I sent this text 2 days after I met him.

Did I do something wrong? I'm so confused. I messaged him on S***** as well and he didn't reply, but he's online.

Why would someone lead me on this much just to do that? And if he changed his mind, why can't he just say it? Should I even do anything? I'm not desperate and I don't want to seem that way.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is common behavior on dating applications unfortunately. People play these weird bullshit games. And I don't even know all of the games. I just know one of them.

I had a date with this guy that I thought was going really well. He called me the next day and asked if I wanted to join him and his friends for New Year's Eve. I was like "sure, sounds great!"

Well, he proceeded to ignore me for the whole evening. I asked someone else, and he said that was a "test date," where he was going to see how I would interact with his friends. See, because apparently, on a second date with him, I was supposed to be okay with being ignored, and him being on the dating application looking at other people's profiles (no shit), and then I was supposed to pretend like his friends were cool.

Well, I had nothing in common with his friends, he ignored me, and we never spoke again. Really stupid behavior, but apparently this stuff happens quite a bit.

~ Adrienne

#2 Pret Allez, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the key thing is not to get your expectations up intill it starts to get serious. Just slowly hang in there and eventually yr meet someone who isn't a dick.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha this reminds me of something that happened to me recently. So I talked to texted with someone I met on an app and he'd always respond quick and was flirty and interested. Well, we met for only like a half hour and chatted for a bit because we go to the same school and were nearby. He gave me a hug goodbye and then texted me saying it was nice meeting me and I was really cute blah blah. Then, proceeded to ignore me. Finally confronted him, asked directly if he was no longer interested, and he didn't even respond, even after multiple messages. So, I blocked him and deleted his number. I probably seemed really clingy and desperate sending multiple messages but honestly he's just a drop in the pond and I wasn't even sure how I felt about him honestly. However, it is annoying when people lie.

So, you're not alone. People on dating apps do this all the time. In fact, I've probably done it, but I would say I was less rude. It's hard to tell someone that after meeting them you're no longer interested. It's a blow to the ego -- I know it felt that way for me after the above story (that was the most annoying part). However, sometimes you just don't "click" with someone in person. But, sometimes it feels like you're letting someone down easier by just feigning being busy until they forget you or something (most people on dating apps have limited attention spans). But then again, I don't wanna be texting someone who is just giving me responses to placate me... Sometimes it's hard to know what to do being on the other end.

Anyways, this isn't unusual and honestly you just have to move on.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

If I had to guess, someone probably just does this because they found someone else or lost interest for whatever other reason, and they simply are so much of a cowardly, petty excuse for a human being that they haven't even the decency to bother telling you goodbye. I don't have any mercy for people like that, no matter what their reason is. You did nothing wrong and you should not give up on dating due to the careless and irresponsible behavior of one unbelievably shallow individual. Perhaps give dating sites a break, or even, take up a more passive approach to dating in the mean time if you will, but you should neither give up nor allow this to effect your outlook on dating in the long term.

#5 kageshiro, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015