1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to come out to my brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DayByDay, Aug 15, 2017.

1. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just want to preface this by saying that this post might be all over the place, because that's sort of how I'm feeling right now. Sorry!

Okay, so I decided a few days ago that I would be coming out to my brother today because it's his only day off this week and we are home alone together. I've been pretty anxious about it but nothing like how I'm feeling now. I told him earlier that I had to do some stuff but then I needed to talk to him about something pretty serious. He told me he was going to talk to his boyfriend (he is gay) in a little bit and asked if we could just talk now. I told him that it might take a while so we would talk after. I think he could pick up on how terrified I was and he said okay. I'm just really freaking out, even though I'm definitely ready to do this and am even a little bit excited about it. Out of my whole family, I know he will be the most accepting and I also know that I will feel better after but I'm still going crazy. Any advice?

2. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, all I can say is: breathe. I know you're freaking out right now, and you probably will afterwards as well, but you need to take a breath. Remember why you are coming out to him, and that you can be pretty certain that he will be open and supportive.

3. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Update: I can't believe I was freaking out so much. I just finished talking to him. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it was not the response that I got. I was having a difficult time getting the words out and he was basically like, "It's okay, I know what it's like to be in the hot seat. Just start somewhere and I will try to understand what you are trying to say." When I finally said it he was like, "Oh, that's it?" He didn't suspect that I was bisexual but it also just didn't bother him at all. We talked for a really long time about his experiences and about what I plan to do going forward and it was just amazing. I knew he was going to be supportive but I also wasn't sure how he was going to react initially. He seemed completely unfazed by everything. I'm just so happy someone in my life finally knows and I think I might even be ready to tell my other brother.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations DayByDay!:thumbsup:I'm so happy for you!:slight_smile:

I think his reaction was just fine. He didn't make a big deal of it because he completely understands and is supportive. I think your Coming Out was probably a bit anti-climatic for him because he could tell that this was a big deal for you and he was probably thinking that you were going to tell him about a serious problem you were having.

Now, as you said, though, you have someone in you life with whom you can truly just be yourself. That's always great!

5. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're completely right! I was really happy about the way that he reacted. (I hope I didn't sound like wasn't happy about it in my post, that wasn't my intention) Even though he is only one person out of the many that I plan to eventually tell, I still feel so relieved and happy. I know I can't expect his response from everyone but it still felt great!

6. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, I'm glad it worked out!

7. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much! It really did go well.