1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A world of Darkness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by goratrix, Apr 3, 2005.

1. goratrix

So. I find it that most of the forumers (I just made that word up) are in the age range 15-20s. There are a few older ones, specially the mods. And this question goes for them as well.

Do you know what an RPG is? And if you are thinkging about Diablo, World of Warcraft, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Super Mario RPG, whatever I can say you don't.

If the first thing that came to your mind when I said world of darkness is that this was yet another topic complaining about my life... then I can say that perhaps you don't know me well enough yet.

If you read this far, and can't help but laughing, or are thinkging about why in hell doesn't he mention Dungeons and Dragons... well, perhaps you are one of the few enlighted ones.

Dungeons and Dragons, World of Darkness, Vampire The masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, The Call of Chtulhu (sp?), Wraith The oblivion, All Flesh must be eaton, Middle Earth Role Playing, Shadowrun, Runequest, Cyberpunk, Warhammer Fantasy, In nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas. Any of these ring a bell?

ok, the questions is simple. Do you play RPGs, and I don't mean on computer such as Baldur's Gate, or Neverwinter Nights (that are both computer games of Dungeons and Dragons) or Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption or Bloodlines, which are computer gamed of Vampire: The Masquerade. I Mean real RPGs, with real dies and reall char. sheets.

If you do: what do you play? how often? have you tried any other rpg?

I will answer: I play currently World of Darkness, Werewolf the apocalypse, Dungeons and Dragons and Vampire The Masquerado. I played, however, all the ones I mentioned above, and some other as well that I don't think are worth putting in.

So... anyone? Don't be afraid of comming out of the NERD closet...

2. nisomer

I have heard of many of these games, and was even interested at one time. But then it seemed like a lot of work and money to buy all those models and then paint them. But I guess that's part of the fun :slight_smile:

3. goratrix

Oh, well, I think that you might be talking about Tabeltop Strategy Games such as Warhammer Battle, Warhammer 40000, Mordheim, Necromunda, Warmaster, Warzone, Epic 40000, Dungeon and Dragons miniatures. those are games that represent a large scale battle, perhaps even a war. And are played with models that actully are rather expensive and hard to paint. Don't worry, that's other of my hobbies. Anyway, I was talking about other kind of games.

4. nisomer

lol. i guess i had no idea what u were talking about then :icon_conf

5. goratrix

Don't worry. There are not many people that know... I was just wondering... since I actually found linux users... which I gave up a long time a go (acutally looking for them in non-specialized forums)... I figured... what the hell... I'll give it a try. I'm not really surprised nobody turned up... although I AM a bit dissappointed.... I hoped...

6. Micah

Personally, I'd prefer to buy the computer game. It means less math equations (damage etc), and its a more visually appealing :wink:

7. goratrix

Math equations??? it's not like you have to calculate the derivate of the attack damage function you do. It's just adding a couple of numbers and rolling a couple of dies. And about visual appeal... in Neverwinter nights they have a dragon with butterfly wings... that's not visually appealing. And if you happen to encounter a good D.Master or Storyteller, you can have just the same graphic quality... only you are imagining the graphics instead of letting pixel shader 2.0 decide what you see.

8. Micah

Hehe, that's true. Although doesnt taking turns and rolling the dice become a bit tedious after a while? I require action to keep me amused (short attention span :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But hey, whatever floats your boat :wink:, im sure if i gave it a chance I would enjoy it....

9. goratrix

I used to think the same. Now I can't seem to stop playing.... It's really entertaining... not fun, just entertaining. Anyway... you never know till you try.

10. Corny

Corny Guest

i'am playing "das schwarze auge" ("the black eye") since almost ten years :slight_smile: it's a german p&p rpg, and probably not very known elsewhere except maybe for the old superb computer game in the same setting. i know many of the other games you mentioned, but i only played a few rounds of vampires, yet.

11. goratrix

Uhhh... are there books in english/spanish/italian/portuguese? Cause I can read all of those languages... but not german.

I'll look for it... but I doubt it. I've never heard of it...

12. Corny

Corny Guest

it is avaible in english, but i dont know if the fourth edition is translated yet.

there is some info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye
    but it is pretty outdated, and makes it look far more simpler than it is :wink:

13. goratrix

Hey... I play D&D and WOD... talk to me about complex systems...

14. TriBi

Yup :smilewave - that's me! Pretty much "non geek" too (prefer my "outdoor" sports), so I won't have anything very constructive to add to this thread I'm afraid. :icon_wink

15. goratrix

Hey... perhaps you can't add much to this post... but still you make it up with what you add in other sides of this forum... so I guess everything falls into balance (fluid dynamics)

16. Micah

Yep, everyone has their place on this forums, and im affraid mine isnt discussing my (lack of) interest in pen and paper RPGs. :tongue:

17. Quasar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an oldie I have to agree and say I prefer my Diablo II, Warcraft and Starcraft!!! But our differences are what make us all so unique and special, they are to be nurtured not mocked!!! :smile: