1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question to Lesbians...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayBatman, Nov 18, 2016.

1. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When a straight man says "I can turn a lesbian straight" does it offend you?

I recently heard this in public. It offended me because I have a lesbian friend.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, and I'm happy that you are sticking up for us.

Personally, It's probably one of the most offensive forms of homophobia because it can lead to sexual assault. It's never something to be defended, so I'm glad you don't.

3. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I find this phrase offensive. Thank you for being empathic towards your friend!

When this is said, I feel as if the speaker of the phrase is disregarding how sexuality works as mean for his/their personal gain and ego. To be honest, I feel that people who say this and mean it only say it to boost their already enormous ego.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It gives me the urge to unhinge their jaw with my boot, but I avoid doing that for obvious reasons.

Heard this bs many, many times. A lot of straight guys either think A "women don't have sexualities like men do, only men have sexualities" or B "Despite me not choosing to be straight, she definitely chose to be gay and I can totally undo it". Sometimes it even goes so far they think "corrective rape" is OK and I'll just say that nothing disgusts me more.

When I tell guys I'm not interested and they learn I'm gay they'll often jump to one of those first two, I blame ignorance. Since most people are either straight or trying to be they don't exactly educate the public about it, not even in health class.

It's a problem with society itself really. If I went around snapping jaws it wouldn't fix the problem, I'd just end up in jail.

5. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, it does. I find it so weird by the way that the same is never said about gay men (I think?). Why? Everyone supposedly likes penis except for straight men?

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, it does, actually; and not many things offend me. XD I'm actually a very laid back person, but this shit pisses me off. Like, how dare they think they can change someone's sexuality? How disgustingly arrogant and rude.

7. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes it does offend me.. i think straight men deny to believe that women can be exclusively attracted to other women because that's our society.. they think a woman HAS to be with a man. they think a woman being gay is just a phase and eventually she will end up with a man!:angry::eusa_naug

8. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, definitely.
    It dismisses the fact that a woman can be exclusively attracted to other women.

9. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everybody for the responses. :slight_smile:

10. aeva

At first it's usually "you just haven't tried sex with a guy". When I tell them I have dated and slept with quite a few guys and finally realized I really wasn't that into it, they then say "oh, but you haven't had sex with ME."

It's not just that they think our sexuality is that easily changeable, but that THEY out of all men on the planet, are the ones who could do it. I think the hubris actually pisses me off more than anything else.

11. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, this is something that flies all over me. I hate to put an entire group in a box, and I'm not saying all guys are like this...I love guys, they can be great friends, hilarious, I have a wonderful father, brothers, and cousins, but *some* straight guys..I don't know what gives them the nerve..and they think they're all unique when they say the things and ask the things they do...like we've never heard the BS they spew out.

12. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm bi, idk if that makes a difference. But this is highly offensive!! I have so many words for this. I'll just keep them to myself though. Thank you for sticking up for your friend!

13. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These two quote accurately sum up how I feel about this. It encourages violence and oppression against women, and it is incredibly arrogant and rude that these men think they're just so attractive that they can somehow sway people's orientations. It really burns me up. :tantrum:

14. Blackrainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, this is essentially saying that you don't find women important enough to recognise that they have a life beyond being a bedpost notch in yours.

15. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know this question is for lesbians but I would like to point it it works both ways.

OK I am bi but telling woman you have no interest in that you are gay (I would say I was more gay than bi now anyway) is often the least offensive route to take when they propostion you but I have been told by quite a few ladies that they would "straighten me out".

I don't think it is meant to be offensive per se, just them trying to salvage their ego?

16. Linkmaste

Same as above. Gross and offensive and it could lead to the through that sexual assault to 'straighten' lesbians out is ok.

Thabks for sticking us up.

17. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haven't experienced it yet, but I know it'll happen someday. Like in all other things in the world, ignorant (usually straight, cis, white) men are trying to take control of women's bodies, decisions, and sexuality.

#17 galaxygia, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  18. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it may not be MEANT to be offensive. but it is because they are saying that what you want doesn't really matter, it's only what they want. Which is why it's said in a lot of sexual assault cases.

19. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the difference is that when straight men say this to lesbians, they also combine the threats with rape, sexual assault, and hate crimes. I'm not denying that some straight women joke about turning gay men too, but It's very rare for straight women to rape gay men and commit hate crimes against them. Men are physically stronger than women, so lesbians are way more threatened by this speech than gay guys are to most women, especially since the gay guy is more capable of restraining her if she tried.

Now, that's not to say he can't get attacked and it's not equally as horrible if he did, but it's just not as common for it to happen. Most gay guys are not as offended by straight girls wanting to turn them because they don't fear being violently attacked by them.

20. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah right, now I understand the other perspective.

I am sorry I was ignorant and grateful for the explanations.

Thank you (*hug*)