1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about MTF HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staticinmyattic, Apr 17, 2022.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone here have any experience with MTF HRT? I'm approaching the point of being ready to tell my therapist my goal is to begin HRT on a trial basis. My reason is that the most consequential way that my gender dysphoria affects my life is my emotions. In particular, emotions associated with testosterone (aggression, anger, frustration, lust) feel worse than a "bad feeling" to me. It's more like a poison. I have to put so much work into managing these feelings. They're mostly healthy (therapy, running, meditation, prescribed antidepressant, yoga, music making, healthy eating) and some less so (the dreaded THC). From the testimonials I've read from transwomen who've undergone HRT, one of the most notable effects is the emotional relief. Calmness, clarity, yeah. That's what I'm looking for.

As for the physical effects of HRT, well, I'd be thrilled with any of them, but it's not my appearance that's messing up my life. It's my emotions.

Does anyone who has walked the path have any thoughts on this? Am I on or off on my understanding of what HRT actually does? Does my experience sound familiar to anyone, and do you have any thoughts on whether or not HRT could offer some relief? I deeply appreciate any thoughts. I'm interested in the thoughts and observations of anyone who wants to share.