1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News A New GOP Bill Could Fine You $1,500 For Not Misgendering Trans People

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mnguy, Jan 20, 2023.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out of all the anti-trans bills I've seen being proposed, this one take the cake of being absolutely stupid and ridiculous...like what the hell is going on with these politicians? It's just baffling to me that they are being so damn stupid and trying to push such harmful and misguided legislation into the lawbooks. I'm absolutely appalled this is even being considered. What the hell man, what the actual hell?! Let people be...we're not hurting these jerks, why can't the leave us the hell alone!? Wow.
    [​IMG]

3. SyIveon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest my reaction every time I see a world news post I think: This is why I live in Australia.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The article pretty much says my thoughts on it. This is just about impossible to enforce. It's difficult enough to enforce everybody who speeds, let alone something like this. Same reason why all the "thoughtcrime" or "thought police" panics are basically unfounded. I get that showing this is also showing how certain politicians want to legalize us out of existence and the lengths they will go for that, but it also shows that it's just about impossible to actually pull off.

5. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's not forget that much of what passes for politics in America is now performance for social media and partisan radio/TV talk shows.

Politicians build their brands and fund their campaigns by waging culture-war stunts - because these attract the most publicity and fuel the outrage machines. It's much sexier than talking about fixing decaying bridges or encouraging more enrollment in math and science.

Gender minorities pay the price for this dysfunction. Even when these bills are just cynical ploys, we still have to respond because we never know how far these movements will go if we stop paying attention.