1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Couple of Questions About New Items

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Quantumreality, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious about a couple of new items on my Profile page.

First, there is an Item listed on the left side of my Profile page called "Warning Points." What is that all about?

Second there is another item on the left side of my Profile page called "Trophy Points." What is the purpose of "trophies" and "trophy points"?

2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Warning Points informs a member of how many points they have accumulated within rule infractions/violations. For example, a community could set it so that a member gets banned if they ever reach 10 points, and set 'trolling' as a 5 points infraction. Therefore, two instances of trolling would trigger a temporary or permanent ban. A warning points system existed under the old EC too, but it was never used. :slight_smile:

I'm still not 100% sure what use it will have on this version, but discussions will be ongoing to see if it can potentially increase productivity by automating infraction notifications between staff and members.

Trophy Points are a little gimmick which reward people for completing certain types of activities, outlined here: https://forum.emptyclosets.com/index.php?help/trophies

They're very basic at the moment as we haven't done anything with them, but they have potential to be used in a more interactive way if done right. I'm not sure at what stage we'll examine whether that is something we'll take advantage of, but the option is always there. :slight_smile:

There's also a 'like' option within the Support Areas, which accumulate in the little postbit. They're currently on a trial basis and may be disabled, either in specific forums or across the site, if it's shown that they attract 'abuse'.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Martin!

Personally, I have no use for this gimmick whatsoever. It seems completely useless from my standpoint. Given the option, I'd opt out of it in a heartbeat.

Are you referring to the "likes" whose accumulation is listed in the "Likes Received"? If so, I also have no use for the gimmick of keeping track of them or accumulating them.

However, if Likes were changed so that individual response posts on a thread could be given a thumbs-up (or maybe also a thumbs-down) or changed into some indication of agreement that showed that people who visited the thread most readily agreed with certain response posts, that might be useful. For example, if a certain response post was quite thorough and other people who visited the thread didn't want to repeat the advice already given or make a separate post simply to say that they agreed with a certain response post already existed, they could simply give a 'thumbs up' to the response post they liked and visitors to the post could see which response(s) people thought were most helpful or to the point.