1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Movement

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mischief, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Pie

Pie Guest

Re: 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Moveme

It's amazing how overnight 50k more people signed the petition! It's the best late-Christmas present ever!

2. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Moveme

I can't believe how negligent and cruel her parents were to her. They decided that their religion was worth more than their child's happiness and sent her to therapists to change who she really was, without even considering that perhaps that that was the way God INTENDED her to be. They should've loved her. Used her name and pronouns. Let her reach out to people who could support her, if they couldn't.

Instead, they cut off her contact with people who loved and cared about here until it was too late. Leelah deserved more.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

This is so depressing...

Her parents are truly horrible human beings. I just wish she could have known how much people cared for her and how she did have a chance at life. I know what depression is, though. The dysphoria was too much to handle on her own...
    I know she said she was doing it for us, but I think I'm right when I say that none of us wished for this to happen...

May she rest in peace...

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

So, there's a bit of an update on this story now. Leelah's father Doug has thanked someone on Twitter for standing up for him and his wife in this situation. The person he thanked? Known Trans-Exclusion Radical Feminist Cathy Brennan, a lawyer in Maryland who is known for her vitriol and slander she constantly slings at the transgender community. Brennan has been taking advantage of this situation to spread her bigotry, and it's absolutely sickening she is reaching out to these monsters.

5. RainDreamer

Birds of a feather flock together, huh.

6. JessicaWolfess

Oh cool......another person I can add to my "People I'd like to hit over the head with a nine iron" list.

Right next to the late Fred Phelps!

7. Sapphy

Leelah's story is so incredibly touching and sad. Stories like hers are one of the reasons I can't abide religion.

I hope her parents never find peace and the torture and pain they put their daughter through haunts them for the rest of their lives.

Rest in peace, Leelah.

8. smthqueersafoot

Her parents continue to slander her in death too, telling the sad tale of how they lost their beloved "son." And she was buried in a suit with the wrong name on her headstone. That is so enraging I want to go over to their house and open up a large can of whooparse on those sorry excuses for parents. I'm so sorry this happened to you, Leelah. RIP.

9. Just Jess

[​IMG]

10. RainDreamer

11. Quiet Raven

Well it doesn't surprise me too much that Leelah never told her mother that name. Or even mentioned transgender a second time. Because she reacted to it so horribly the first time. The mother made it perfectly clear she doesn't want her to be seen as a girl. (Even now) so what would be the point in aproaching her about it again?

And now she is using money as an excuse. Not sure why. That is clearly not the main reason. I think it is clear that even if she had the money, she wouldn't do it.

12. antibinary

My next trans rights project (for lack of a better word) is to try and get people to use the right pronouns about a trans boy at my school.

13. Tyrion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I feel terrible for her, but at the same time.. jumping in front of a semi is a bit fucked up. I feel bad for the driver who is probably traumatized now..

Sadly this could have all been avoided if her parents were decent people.

14. RainDreamer

Well, I agree. Here are some of her quotes(emphasis mine):
    She is misunderstanding this entirely. Leelah want her to understand that she is a girl, not that she wanted to be called a girlish name.

The mother is just caring about how people think about her. She want people to know that she love her child. But does she REALLY love her child? This is just all talking.

15. Alisa Arwen

tragic.

16. GaspingJasper

Out Status:
    A few people

I feel absolutely sorry for people like her because they suffer (in general) due to lack of ignorance from the society which makes me really angry and sad but now...look at what happened to her; but on the other hand - her message has been released to the world. I still think she's an inspiration in some way.

17. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think she could have done more for transgender people if she stayed alive. This is a very sad story.

18. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

This makes me want to scream and curl up in bed and never move again.

To Leelah; I wish you'd have stuck around sweetheart. You were a beautiful woman and clearly we could've used your kindness and sincerity. I don't like what you did and I don't agree with your reasons, but I understand. I hope your wishes were honoured (although I doubt it) and that someday your hopes for the world are realized.

To Leelah's parents; get your :***::***::***: heads out of your asses. Realize your responsibilty in the death of your daughter. Realize that your fear and judgement cost you your child. And do. not. blame. God. This is on you.

To anyone else who thinks that their death will somehow help any movement or that in death they can do more than in life; please don't go.

To anyone else that thinks they can't take anymore; share your burden with us. We'll help you as much as we can because most of us have been there. Please.

Rest in Peace Leelah

19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

R.I.P Leelah

20. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Memory Eternal Leelah!