1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Movement

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mischief, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

Re: 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Moveme

I've been there. And I dissagee with that. She could have seriously thought it was the best way to help. As others have said, suicidal people do not think rationally.

She clearly wanted 2 things: to end the pain for herself, and help other transgender people. She felt she would never be able to transition, and that her death would set an example. Help shed light on just how horrible dysphoria can be. It makes some sence. Was it the right choice? No. But she thought it was. And she was way too depressed to think about anything rationally, she just wanted a quick solution. And this is what she decided.

Of course, you might be right. Maybe it was just an excuse. We don't know exactly what was going on through her head. We can only speculate.

2. DDDchu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Moveme

I went on a big rant about how screwed up this whole thing is on Facebook. I cried while writing it and it was the main reason I came out of the closet to more people.

3. Quiet Raven

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol8JI9-eq4c

This is part of a TV report where they interviewed a friend of hers. Before you get angry at the fact that he misgenders her though, know that he made a comment there apologizing for it. This is his comment:

"Hello everyone, it is me Chris (from the interview).
    I didn't mean to label her as a boy when i spoke. I have known her for 13 years of my life as Josh, and it is how I remember her. I'm so sorry if offended anyone by using "he" when I spoke; I did not do it with malicious intent. Leelah was a dear friend of mine, and it was hard to hang out and easily contact her. Her and I used to have conversations, and she'd only mention that she was a homosexual, she never told me her true identity. The interview happened when I was on my way to volunteer in the morning, I had no idea this was coming. I am not uneducated on gender identity, just a shocked friend.
    Once again everyone, my dearest apologies.
    -Chris"

I think it was awfully rude of the the interviewer though to not correct him. There are a lot of people pretty angry at Chris because of that.

4. Quiet Raven

Though at the same time, I guess the interviewer probably thought it would be rude to correct him. He probably understood why he was saying that, and figured most people most people would understand why, and just wanted to let him speak.

5. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Thanks Raven. (*hug*)

6. Pie

Pie Guest

I hope that she will be remembered, that her wish will be fulfilled, that her death will mean something. It's time for a change in this messed up world.

7. Randomcloud

This is heart-breaking...shame on her family. They still used the wrong pronoun after she died. It's just sick...

8. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

The psychological abuse she must've gone through from her wretched family is abysmal. The fact that the mother had the temerity to refer to her as "my sweet 16 year old son" is sickening. Such a beautiful girl, I hope she is remembered.

#68 Cubiculum, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Pie

Pie Guest

10. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  11. Crazy1604

Crazy1604 Guest

It's not right how wonderful people have to die to get straight people to understand that lgbt people aren't that diffrent from them

Everyone is unique

12. BelleFromHell

This is beyond depressing. I hope she's at peace now. Maybe her death will open a few eyes and prevent more suicides, but that's the only positive thing I can say about this.

The subject of suicide is depressing as fuck. Unless you are Adolf Hitler or terminally ill, suicide is not the answer. Don't let asshats bring you down. I know how hard it is to ignore those thoughts and tell your inner critic to shut the fuck up, but please don't give up. No matter how horrible you feel, whether it's dysphoria, loneliness, shame, self-loathing, or a mixture of these, please try to hang in there. It'll all be worth it later, I promise you.

13. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Her note was heart breaking. She felt so trapped. Her situation was horrible and even now her parents can't respect her. The way they isolated her was just sick.

I wish people will learn something. I wish no one else would have to die like this.

14. Hatsune Miku

horrible

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm not even sure if Leelah's parents are going to have an open funeral because of the protests. They fucking better have one and just sweep the memory of their daughter under the rug like that.

16. EDMJunkie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I believe she has already been laid to rest. She was in a suit and they put her birth name on the tombstone.

At least, that's what I've heard. I'm trying to see if I can confirm it now.

#76 EDMJunkie, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  17. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is just completely depressing. I was hoping this would have been different from the story of a transwoman who was buried in a suit and her birth name as well by her family.

18. Pie

Pie Guest

19. RainDreamer

I wish I could, but I am not an American citizen. =< Would forward this for American friends I know though.

20. Mischief

Mischief Guest