1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Movement

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mischief, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Mischief

Mischief Guest

2. birdking

Re: 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Moveme

I just read her suicide note on tumblr :frowning2:

I really hope they start using her correct name and pronouns, because all of the articles I've seen don't, and it makes me so angry.

Rest in peace, Leelah.

3. Mischief

Mischief Guest

Re: 17 y/o Transgender Female Commits Suicide to Help Transgender Civil Rights Moveme

The guy who posted this on facebook did. So upset about this, may she rest easy.

4. I'm_Danni_x

I started crying half way through the suicide letter. Why did such an amazing beautiful woman have to commit suicide? RIP Leelah x

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Rest in peace. I'm sorry I couldnt help to give you the love you deserved in life.

6. Images and Words

poor girl. I too got very upset at this. I also feel that this is her mother's fault. If she had not reacted so negatively, maybe it could have played out differently.

7. soulcatcher

She shouldn't have killed herself. She could have helped the transgender movement in other ways. Although, I do understand that her mother was making her life more difficult for her for many years.

8. RainDreamer

Of course, rationally, she shouldn't kill herself. Rationally, she could spend the rest of her life fighting for transgender movement, further the causes in other ways, improving other's lives much more meaningfully.

But rationality doesn't work on a suicidal person. When a person is suicidal, it means they ran out of emotional resource to cope with emotional pain. Just telling them logical, rational things won't help, because they can't think that way anymore. Just living is painful for them, and they want to stop that pain as soon as possible.

A suicidal person need a way for their emotional resource to regenerated, they need support. But for this girl, her parent methodically cut down all the support she could get. She is isolated from her friends. She is sealed away from those who would listen to her, to those who would understand her. Then they forced her to Christian therapist, they took her to church, where everyday she has to spend the little emotional resources she has left.

One day, she got nothing left in her heart. She was broken, by her parents, by the world around her. And so she left us.

If she had reached out further, perhaps she had found some help. If she just fight on a little longer, perhaps things would get better. If she has done literally anything else than taking her life, perhaps the outcome would be a happier ending.

However, to be able to say "if", to be able to feel regret of what happened, to be able to speculate the future, is a luxury that only the living has. She no longer have such luxury. She can't ever asked what if. She no longer can feel regret. She has no more future. It has been taken away by the people who were nearest to her, by the people who could have supported her and helped her but chose not to, by the people whose role and duty should be giving her unconditional love and yet deny her that very one thing: her parents.

Let this be a lesson for all parents in the world.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Just saw this on Tumblr as well.

Of course, too many people are going to victim-blame and say that "she deserved it", "she was selfish anyway", and a whole slew of transphobic things, especially if it's in the name of "religious freedom".

News flash: Depression doesn't go away because of a faith in a diety. It goes away through healing, through work between a therapist and the patient. Sometimes medicine needs to be used. It doesn't work the way most people think, despite it being common, and it's unique in different ways to different people.

10. soulcatcher

Indeed, she was betrayed by those closest to her. In a way, it is meaninglness to wish that people had more strength to get through the hard times, as each person has different limits of tolerance. This is why it is important to continually strive for equal rights and better conditions. Indeed, hopefully it will be "a lesson for all parents in the world".

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Her parents should be charged in her death somehow. They drove her to do this, and it's despicable.

12. Quiet Raven

Definitely. This is horrible.

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

This is nothing new and doesn't suprise me. As long as there are ignorant (especially Christian) families and societies, there will be suicides of those who are "different".

14. Acm

Acm Guest

They should ban conversion therapy already, don't people see how harmful this is? And her parents should be charged for what happened. I saw something her mom posted brushing it off as an accident, as if she didn't help kill her daughter. This is so horrible :frowning2:

15. Quiet Raven

You mean like she accidentally killed herself? As if... The letter didn't completely contradict that.

What a foolish mother.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is so sad. :tears:

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Beat me to it.

That said, I think its bittersweet how much she tried to give back, even after death (not that I'm downplaying the effects of other trans deaths).

18. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

'Foolish' sounds too nice...

This is what she posted on Facebook:

[​IMG]

19. JessicaWolfess

Typical. Fucking. Christian. Bullshit. Yes your bible is more important than respecting another human being, another human being who is your own flesh and blood to boot!. This makes me so sad and the fact that stubborn assholes who care more for themselves and their "traditions" than another person not going to change in the slightest makes me even more sad.

20. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

:tantrum: