1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News 13th Doctor Who is Female

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kodo, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This just in, the BBC has announced that the newest regeneration of the Doctor will be female, played by actress Jodie Whitaker. The show has been long since paving the way for this move and continues to show awesome representation for LGBT characters.

More on the story here.

2. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WELL THIS IS AWESOME!!! I NEED TO GOOGLE THE HELL OUT OF HER LOL

3. JohnConnor

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not a Doctor Who fan at all so I personally do not care who was cast. That said, I do appreciate how big this is. Would I be right in thinking that this would be on par with say, a female James Bond? (I am also not a Bond fan by the way, misogynistic bellend) What I find sad though, but at the same time mildly amusing is the utter disgust that this has caused with some people. Some people are literally fuming at a fictional time traveling alien being portrayed by a woman.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always found Dr Who thoroughly unwatchable but Jodie Whittaker's great. I loved her in Broadchurch and it's a big career move that's also a convenient slap in the face for the sexist elements of nerd culture.

5. purplepuppy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have only seen her in ST Trinians and I don't know if I will be able to watch her in a serious role now...

6. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does that mean I can't watch my sexy British doctors?! NOOOOOOO!!!!
    On topic that's awesome! First they have a gay companion and now a woman as the doctor xD. I love how todo toe who is like oh? You don't like gays? TO BAD! *throws a gay companion into the show*. I still got a lot of catching up to do since Netflix took doctor who off grrr. Still kinda sucks I can't see my quirky sexy British doctors now but hey! Still cool! Lol
    Should be interesting to see how she portrays the doctor whose always been a male and quirky and funny and dark and bloody brilliant in one. Kinda excited to see how it goes but at the same time I fear her not being up to the monumental task but I'm always like that when we get a new doctor so. Hmm wonder how that'll work with river song and such...anyone who know what I'm talking bout I'd love to discuss this!!
    Steven Moffat is leaving to bummer. Man this is one hell of a change to doctor who I must say. New writer and a woman for the doctor lol. Though not sure I agree with her statement of this is a big move for a woman an actor and a feminist. Not trying to be sexist so please don't take it wrongly!! I'm just a big ass doctor who fan so it's just odd in a way after all these guys to see a woman lol. I'm gonna shit up now since I keep digging a hole deeper....can't get what I wanna say out lol.

#6 Akira12, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  7. DementedTrendz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was a pretty big fan of Doctor Who about a year ago, and here is just my personal take on it:
    All generations of doctors have been male, It just seems really unnatural to add a female doctor to the mix.

Im really afraid it would turn into another Ghost Busters 2

Im not a misogynist, but I just believe that if It was always a man in that shows role, it probably should just stay a man.
    But all options are on the table still though, It probably still be a really good show. and I still plan to watch it.

#7 DementedTrendz, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  8. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll have to agree with you and who knows we may be surprised at how she does the role. I mean I wish it was a male considering it's always been a male but it's not me who decides so all we can do is hope to god that the new actor AND new writer doesn't make it a complete train wreck.

9. Out late

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally am looking forward to it. I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, but I think that just because it's always before been a man, does not mean it must always be so, as long as it is a good actor.

10. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree on just wanting a good doctor. Now that the surprise moment of omg what?! Is over with I'm actually a bit excited to see how it plays out with a woman being the doctor. I just worry it not being like the usual doctor who before or becoming some drama show. No offense to broad church fans but it seemed like a big drama fest to me and we now have the writer who did that writing doctor who so.....fingers crossed lol. Wonder what will happen with river song? Or is she not gonna be showing up anymore now after Matt smith and that finale? Hmm will she call herself a time lady now or time lord? Food for thought.

11. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread should have been titled " Next Dictor Who Regeneration spoilers" I was trying NOT to find out anything about the next regen so they would be a surprise at Christmas time when the next episode comes out.

#11 Zoe Izumi, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This may work and she may be a good doctor. However it's silly to think that this is some victory for the female collective (that apparently exists). This isn't political, the future of women will be neither harmed or helped by this announcement. Calm down people. I think what's important is what the individual Jodie Whittaker brings to the role not the change in gender.

13. AlexTheGrey

Honestly, the problem with Ghostbusters was less the casting (beyond not meshing as well as the original cast as a group), and more the script being bland. I also suspect the different comedy styles of the two casts cater to different audiences. It would have been just as weird to have Andy Samberg, Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and Chris Rock, IMO.

But here's my question, why does it feel unnatural to have the Doctor change in this way? I'm genuinely curious about people who feel this way, since I want to understand more where the source of it comes from.

For me, this is a character that has had more writers, actors and show runners taking their own tack with the character than pretty much any other in the history of TV. If anything, the Doctor is the antithesis of the static. I'm honestly more surprised it has taken this long to happen. And it isn't like Moffat hasn't been rolling out the red carpet for the idea over the last two series he's helmed by establishing the framework for it.

At this point, I'm still more worried about Chibnall working on the show than Whitaker. His writing is a bit uneven, but then again, so is Moffat's.

14. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @AlexTheGrey
    That is true and the more I think on it the more I can see it being a woman due to it's the doctor and when he regenerates it's always 'random' so to speak so I can see it being plausible. I guess for me it caught me by surprise and being used to it always being male was like NO IT WONT WORK! As my initial reaction. However after calming down from the surprise I can see it working and tad bit excited to see how she plays the role. Will she change it from time lord to time lady? Will we see river song again and if so how will she react? What concerns me is the new writer. No offense to broad church fans but to me the show seemed dramay and lackluster IMO so I'm hoping he doesn't totally mess up doctor who. Also from all the tweets I've seen and the like people are hoping she makes doctor who into female dominate and so on so forth. Nothing against women I just don't want my doctor who show to not have the craziness and randomness and everything removed I'd be so sad. Like always with a new doctor I'll be holding my breath and waiting to see what happens! Though I will admit I'm gonna miss seeing the hot guys like David tennant or Christopher Eccelston or Matt smith lol. That episode with a totally nude Matt and seeing his bare chest was just the most amazing one to date =P lol. Anyhow can't wait to see how she handles the role cause she's got some big shoes to fill so good luck to her! And the writer!

15. AlexTheGrey

@Akira12, I get that initial reaction. Change can be a bit of a shock, as habits are comfortable.

I also share the concerns about Chibnall. He's written for Who before and was also co-head writer for Torchwood, and he's done good Who episodes, but he's also done some groan-worthy Torchwood episodes, and lackluster Who episodes too. I'll give him a chance to prove which the next season will be. And I've survived Moffat's worst (Season 7, sorry Matt, you were given a lot of blah that year), so yeah, who knows.

I would be surprised if we see River Song again. She's Moffat's character, and out of respect for that, I don't think we will. I am curious who the companion might be. I wouldn't mind seeing them try the hot young guy approach here and see how it plays with the audience.

16. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah I didn't know that about on the touchwood one.
    Yea I liked Matt but will admit it was a bit meh at times lol.
    Lol that would be amazing! I know they did a lesbian companion with peter so hey maybe they'll go and break another wall and do a gay male companion eh? For some reason that irritates me is how a lot of people go 'oh she's lesbian eh that's alright' yet when any show introduces a gay male character people just freak and panic and crucify the show like really...what's the freaking diff from a gay woman to a gay guy or are you just that uncomfortable with your 'masculinity' that you freak out over a simple acting tv character >.>. Just my thoughts lol. Sorry went on a bit of a rant my bad!

17. Samthing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Stephen Moffat was asked a while ago about the possibility of a female doctor and he said something like if there ever was a female doctor it would because they found an actress and thought yes that is the doctor. They're not casting her because of her gender but because they think she'd fit the role. Like they did when casting any of the others. It just so happens that the person they think is perfect for the role is Jodie.
    And I for one am excited to see what she brings to the table.

18. Flowey

She's a novelty. I like this change. They will probably make that one cringey Victorian episode to show off how progressive, morally superior they are by having a female Doctor but I'm sure the rest of the series will be awesome. Oh and I hope "But you're a woman!" is not going to be a running gag. And they'd better bring back Missy.

19. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm reserving all judgement until the new season comes out.

20. KaylaRCray

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But...but shes not ginger.... :cry::cry:

This is great and all...but...ginger....

I wonder if she'll have a male companion :thinking: