1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 Year Later...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jguy365, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    July 21st marked the one year anniversary of when I first joined Empty Closets. (I'm a bit off, I know, but work has been keeping me very busy.)

I've been feeling very sentimental and reflective. A year ago at this time, I was facing my true self for the first time in my entire life. It was a very confusing and emotional time for me. I had lost all touch with the sense of normalcy in my life. I didn't feel like I knew myself anymore. After lying to myself for 18, almost 19 years, it was hard to see a part of me I had kept hidden away.

A year later, I'm out to the majority of my friends and some of my family. I still have to tell my dad and my extended family. I am very blessed that there is a fairly strong LGBT community in my town. This February, I took a big step and went to a monthly LGBT gathering that happens at a local restaurant. It was hard for me since I am not good at socializing with unfamiliar people, but it was a life-changing step. A nice woman sat with me and we chatted. She told me about another gathering called Alphabet Soup. I went the next week and was introduced to a whole new group of friends that I cannot possibly imagine my life without now. They are older than me but that's ok because they have all of the wisdom that I don't. They have been amazing mentors and wonderful friends. They gave me a sense of place and helped me rediscover that sense of normalcy that I lost.

I haven't been on Empty Closets much at all since I met them. They have kind of taken the place that this website once held for me. (That and the fact that I now have 3 jobs.) Despite this, I am still eternally grateful for this website. I never would have gotten to where I am today without it. i owe an enormous debt of gratitude to everyone here who has responded to my posts. You all were my friends when I felt like I had none and my guidance when I was lost.

I still have work to do. Hopefully, within another year's time, my coming out journey will be complete.

I will never forget this website and the enormous impact it had on my life.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's awesome this site has helped you so much. My 1 year anniversary is on August 10th, and I can remember the day I joined like it was yesterday... I was going to come out to my mom, and that's all I had planned on using the site for. I left for a while, then came back in spring and here I am now. I'm glad I came back... This site has helped me in countless ways, and I hope during the school year I'll be able to keep up. (*hug*)