1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“like” option available in forum posts?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by merry, May 27, 2018.

1. merry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi there, new here. can anyone tell me why some forums offer a like option on each individual post, and when posting can we chose to add that or not?

thank you!

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Posts in the "support" forums have it, others do not.

3. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If this had a "like" button, I'd "like" it, lol. Either all forums need to have it or they all need to not have it.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "like" functionality is basically an experiment. We were reluctant to introduce it because we didn't want people to get wrapped up in the potential popularity contest it has the potential to create, and we have not made a final decision whether to continue it. We've been observing how people make use of it, and with a couple of exceptions, people do not seem to be abusing it, nor particularly using it for popularity (which happens a lot on Facebook and tends to be related to self-esteem issues.)

So I'm interested in your thinking behind this. Is it better to be able to not have any ability to comment by 'liking" at all if you cannot have the ability to do so on all forums? If so, what's the reasoning behind that?

5. merry

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

oh, i see! that makes sense, and is a reason i’m not on facebook or a fan of it. pretty new to EC but i like the layout here and i think the layout here is a bit different..

i think in any cases i have wanted to use it to let someone know i saw their comment, maybe i wanted time to think of a response, or didn’t really have a good response but wanted to acknowledge that i saw or agreed with their post... especially on a thread i started, i wouldn’t want someone to think i didn’t appreciate their time taken to respond.. if i resonates with another response and felt called to reply or quote it, i wouldn’t want others to think i flat out ignored them.

not sure this is a positive thing, to utilize “likes” in this way. perhaps not having them keeps the conversations going, because i have in fact responded to posts i may have just “liked” otherwise.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if other people use it this way, but for me a lot of the posts I 'like' are ones where someone quoted me just to acknowledge that I read their post even if I didn't respond to it. Unless it was a rude post or something of course.

I see how people get addicted to likes though, can't lie, every time I see I have a like I get a little 2 second feeling of validation for my thoughts.

7. Really

I use the Like function to mark posts where people have said things I find particularly helpful or interesting or whatever and want to be able to find them again. More like bookmarks.

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chip.....I am very much in favor of the Like button. There are some posts that really have an impact on me. There are others where the poster has made a huge step forward with their life. These are the ones that I really do like to Like! :old_smile: Please keep the function.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: