1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vent

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Celeste0103, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Celeste0103

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone else feel like life isn't worth living as the gender you're born as? I hate myself so, so much and every second I spend feeling like a male feels like a waste. I wish I could actually feel like a girl, I wonder if hormones would maybe help with this? Even then I'm incredibly scared I'll be disappointed by the results

Everything makes me sad because I keep comparing myself with people (mostly women). Like I watch a show, play a game etc and usually have a character I really like, to the point where I want to be the character and dislike myself and appearance. Can anyone relate to this? Is this "normal" for gender dysphoria or is this something else entirely?

2. Celeste0103

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel awful again, but what's new I guess. I just don't know how long I can live like this anymore. The funniest part is that the waiting time for transgender care in the Netherlands is 3 whole, entire years, so I won't be getting help anytime soon :slight_smile:. And since I was too scared to tell anyone besides one friend, who cut me out of his life because he found it awkward btw, the waiting time hasn't even started yet.

For context, I've been living with my parents, not going to school or anything for 4 years now. I barely go outside and do basically nothing all day because of "mental health reasons" aka I can't be who I want to be and am deeply ashamed and disgusted with myself. Like I said in the post above, everything feels like a sad reminder of who I'll never be. I have nothing and the one thing I want I can never have. I genuinely just don't know what I can do anymore. I've tried feminzing myself but I just feel ridiculous, like I pretend to be a woman.

I feel so trapped, I don't want to look like this. I hate everything about myself. Is this really what gender dysphoria is? It feels like I died years ago, when I stopped going outside. Like everyone has atleast something in their lives going for them but I'm just... stuck. I just want to crawl up into a ball and never go outside of my bedroom again. I just can't today

3. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a very abusive environment and I had to pretend to be straight, because it wouldn't have been safe to come out. I was often degraded for not acting like a real man and was punished for the crime of existing. So I often felt like I hated myself and most of my life was a waste. I had to do what I had do to survive, but maybe it was a waste. I wish I had prepared and accepted myself back then to be ready for when I could get myself out of that abusive situation and start living my truth and really begin my journey. It feels like I have been reborn. Instead I waited and only focused on survival because I felt too trapped to even dare dream about a future for myself. I just recently accepted myself at 30 and life would have been much different for me, had I done it 8-10 yrs ago.

So I get you hate yourself and your past, and that's perfectly valid. But you have your present to prepare for your future. Accept the version of yourself you don't like now and slowly fall in love with the person you'll create and become. There is a future for you but you have to go out and make it or discover it. It's overwhelming for sure, but you can go at your own pace and take baby steps. The main thing is to keep moving forward and hopefully build momentum. That's what I'm trying to do. You may not be able to access transgender care now but you can start to prepare for everything else until the time comes.

I used to often compare myself to everyone else and I promise you it's a hole you'll never see the bottom to. You have to force yourself to cut it out of your system. Everyone has their own measuring stick, journey, standards, values, starting line, and finishing line. I told myself that it is all a fantasy that could be useful to guide me, but not reality. Aspiring to other people's goals isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you have to make your own goals. Follow their example don't copy it.

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you are feeling so depressed and it does sound really bad. I think sometimes all we can do is ease our suffering until something else might work, so in your case I would want medications for depression so you can feel content until you can transition, if that is possible someday. At least if you're not so sad you can get by and not hurt so bad all the time. It's like hospice care almost to feel comfy at least would be nice and I hope you will feel better!

Rayland, Celeste0103 and Chillton like this.
  5. Celeste0103

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First off, thanks for the kind words! It's nice to at least get some response on a whiny post like this. Sorry, I can't express myself IRL so I tend to go full emo online

I already am on antidepressants, don't worry. I'm much better whenever I'm not alone but as soon as no one is around the hatred for my body (and myself) starts surfacing again. And I'm alone a lot. I've officially been diagnosed with 3 personality disorders today, which makes it all the more difficult. One of these is avoidant personality disorder, which means that I tend to avoid things, mostly people. So I'm kind of stuck between wanting to be with people and wanting to be alone all the time. I don't really want to be alone, it's just really, really hard to be around people. My solution rn is to voice call a lot with friends while I'm basically homebound, but even this gives me anxiety bc of my voice and the way I act. The other 2 pds make it even worse (borderline and dependent for those interested), making it completely impossible for me to be alone and not feel extremely bad. It's really annoying, especially in combination with gender dysphoria. Sorry, I'm getting a bit off topic here, but it really does tie in together, well at least for me it does.

I know I should take baby steps, but I'm done living like this. I just need something to change now or I might do something I'd regret. I'm on a strict diet currently bc I feel fat, but I already know that this is not sustainable. I don't even know where to start all I do is wait and wait and nothing happens. It's so hard not to compare yourself to others like it's all I can think about. I feel like every transperson is really susceptible to this, but I can only speak for myself of course

Rayland and Chillton like this.
  6. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to feel very alone all the time and sometimes I still do. I realized I was putting all my time and energy into searching for people, and putting what I personally liked to do and my life on hold. So I focused and harnessed that time and energy by investing it into myself instead of other people. I still feel lonely to an extent but I can entertain myself and fill the void with doing stuff that makes me happy and fulfilled. This allowed me to develop my personality more and ironically old and new friends came back around and wanted to spend time with me, because I became more interesting. Not gonna lie the harsh reality still stings but that's progress for you. You have to find that balance of fulfilled loneliness and socializing.

Sometimes taking a plunge into the deep end isn't necessarily bad. It forces you to swim and struggle to thrive, but you have to make sure you know when to swim back to the shallow end before you sink.

Have you tried to go to a park or a busy urban area to walk or workout before? That way you don't have to feel so alone by being around other people but you don't have to interact with them personally. You can just exist and build your confidence. It's like exposure therapy. You can also workout at the same time to achieve the physical goals you want.

There is an old Shakespeare quote I read before that changed my outlook on life.
    Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
    The first and last comments rely on other people and circumstance. In other words just dumb luck. So I told myself I can either wait and bet it all or lose it all by hoping to get struck by fortunate lighting - or I can try to achieve some form of greatness and make my own luck.

Rayland and Celeste0103 like this.
  7. FemWired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know if I can offer much insight, I just wanted to let you know as another trans woman that you are not alone in these experiences.

I often get the feeling of being trapped too, both in my body and by life circumstances. I don't want to pretend to be a man, but it feels like that's the only thing I can do while waiting to eventually be able to even dip my toes into transitioning. The desire does get pretty overwhelming at times.

I do go to university, but I barely attend any classes physically and continue to live as a shut-in like I have been for most of my life. I've had next to zero social life, I've never really wanted to do anything, and I've only left the house when necessary for external reasons. I thought I was content living like this, I was apathetic about it, but now that I found the one thing that I genuinely want, I don't think I can keep living this way anymore. But I still live with my mom, and I know she is transphobic (and homophobic for that matter), so I'm not comfortable doing anything.

But transitioning is a long process regardless. Something I've found hope in sometimes is looking at other people's transition timelines. If they can do it, then so can I, and so can you! It's going to be difficult, but I feel that if I don't put in the effort once I'm ready to do so, I will regret it forever.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys can do it someday. It's hard and long process, but it's all part of this journey.

It took me 3 years of being frustrated with waiting not to mention previous 25 years not acknowledging it at all. And I can start as I'm 32 year old, soon 33. But the age don't matter here.

9. BiCavalier

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

This may sound crazy, so feel free to ignore, but do you exercise? I have found that physical activity has a profound impact on how I feel, body, mind, and soul. It's a great place to focus your energy and often increases your body positivity and overall makes you feel better about yourself. Do you like to swim? run? bike? hike? play tennis? frisby? The periods in my life that I have been most physically active have been the healthiest of my life.

10. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    upload_2024-4-15_10-44-51.png

Its true.

BiCavalier and Celeste0103 like this.
  11. FemWired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You may also be interested in looking into feminizing workouts if you haven't already, Celeste. It can be a nice motivator to do even a little bit of exercise.

ScottyG and Chillton like this.
  12. ScottyG

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ m not only gay in the closet but fem as well. Started crossdressing in 2017 and never felt more alive. I have tried to ignore it for long periods but it always comes back. In another lifetime I’d transition for sure.

Growing up I remember never wanting to be like my father- my mother was my role model. I adored her.

I never have revealed this about myself- this is a first.

Celeste0103, FemWired and Chillton like this.
  13. FemWired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm proud of you for being honest with yourself and admitting to it!

If you're certain you would transition in another lifetime, why not do so in this one? Is there something that's stopping you from transitioning? It's never too late to do so, if you believe you would be happier that way.

You don't have to transition if you really don't want to, that doesn't make you any less fem if that's how you feel on the inside. Not all trans people choose to transition for various reasons. In what ways you choose to transition can also vary, not everyone chooses to medically transition, for example. The important thing is to find what you're comfortable with and want to do.

Celeste0103, Chillton and ScottyG like this.
  14. ScottyG

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you! I have been wrestling with this for a long time but now feel compelled to express myself fully

Celeste0103 and Chillton like this.
  15. ScottyG

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more I allow myself to feel my feminine side the more i want it to take over. I’m so tired of playing the male role when it’s never been me

Celeste0103 and Chillton like this.
  16. Celeste0103

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm now out of the closet to my parents, older sister (she's nonbinary), a single friend as a test and my temporary psychologist who did the diagnosis. They all seem to think that it's a phase and that I should think more before even going on the waiting list. The psychologist and my case manager want me to work on other things first because of the personality disorder (Part of the diagnosis is trouble with identity, so they think I might not really be trans). I have no clue how long it will even take to start the recommended therapy, let alone how long it will take to actually start receiving help with my gender. I guess that they are the professionals so I trust their decision.

My friend didn't respond too well, he thought I wasn't feminine in the slightest, was really surprised and found it kind of awkward which kind of stings. I went to a meeting for people with gender trouble a couple of years ago and got the same reaction there: you look and act masculine so why bother transitioning? That guy (yeah there was a random guy who thought the meeting was meant for everyone who is part of the LGBT community and while everyone is welcome, it really is for people with gender issues) straight up told me that I wasn't trans and that I should "stay a male" and started comparing me to him in order to convince me. Like how clueless do you have to be to go to a meeting organized by a group called Transvisie and then just start acting like you own the place, trivializing people's struggles. It doesn't matter whether I am truly trans or not, you should never ever do anything like this. Anyway, I never went again because I could feel their blatant discrimination and judging eyes. I thought I'd fit in but I guess it's the same everywhere for me. Maybe in a couple of years when I look more feminine.

I know I should start working out but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. It's like I know I will feel better yet I still don't. I actually have this with a lot of things, I know how to make myself happier (eating well, sleeping 7/8/9 hours a day going to the gym etc.) so why am I not doing it? That's the whole reason why my case manager asked for a personality disorder test: therapy seemed to not work for whatever reason. It's so hard for me to do anything on my own or leave the house. I feel like me not working out is a mixture of laziness, depression, not wanting to go outside alone and health/heart anxiety; it's stressful for me whenever I can feel my heart beating because I'm afraid to have a heart attack or panic attack. My only solution really is to find a workout buddy but I don't really know anyone who'd do that for me. I barely see my friends IRL, maybe once every 2 months.

I know it's kind of strange, but it could also be that I don't want to live my life anymore as the person that I am right now. Like something has to change before I can make any steps, which is kind of the reverse of how it's supposed to be. Does that make any sense? I don't want to go outside, go to school or socialize etc with my current appearance and personality, I desperately want to transition first. I don't allow myself to be happy because of my self-hatred. It feels like I'm slowly throwing my life away. My classmates from high school were right: I have no life or personality. An old friend told me that she expects me to look the same in 20 years, only older of course. I think she kind of meant the same thing as my classmates, only phrased friendlier. I will never really get a life or fit in anywhere. Would transitioning even change anything, or would it make it even worse, as I willingly ostracize myself from the norm? It feels so hopeless

17. Celeste0103

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, thanks for the replies. I really regretted posting this thread because I got no replies at all at first. It felt like I didn't fit in - again. So it's really nice to get at least some feedback, no matter what the message contains. It makes me feel less alone

ScottyG, FemWired and Chillton like this.
  18. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm truly sorry all that happened to you. I'm deeply appalled by all these so called professionals and friends that invalidated you like you were nothing. We may have different experiences but I get how you feel. I've been thrown under the bus by therapists, friends, family, and even the gay community at times invalidating my issues and experiences. I hid away from the world to heal and cobble the fragmented pieces together but it never worked and I became stuck while the world passed me by. I learned that you can't rebuild what is broken. You can only take the old pieces to build something new and beautiful. I got too wrapped up in fixing myself when I should have been creating myself the whole time. So I accepted who I was. I accepted all the pain hatred and happiness and slowly fell in love with the person I would become and create.

We all have our crosses to bear. Just because one may appear to be easy or nothing to someone else doesn't mean it is for that person, and they have no right to judge. Also you don't have to take that abuse and blatant disregard of decency laying down. You have a right to stand up for yourself and call people out like this. Respect is usually earned, but sometimes you have to fight back and defend yourself, so they can recognize and respect you. Take that power and control back for yourself.

That change you're talking about will have to come from within. Sometimes you have to force yourself kicking and screaming to move forward until you get momentum. It will suck, but it will get better. The easiest way for me to explain it, ( without getting to abstract), is to tell you about the time I broke my leg. After I broke my leg I was laid up on the couch for a few months. My foot totally atrophied and it looked like a skeleton foot off a Halloween decoration. Once I could start walking again it felt like dozens of knives cutting into my foot with every step. I wanted nothing more than to quit, but if I did I wouldn't be able to move independently again. So I forced myself every day to get up and move crying and cursing the whole time. The first month really sucked but after a while I got stronger and pushed my limits every day until I made a complete recovery.

All of us here at EC are proud of you for having the courage to come out despite what happened. I really mean that. Maybe it might not seem like much now, but soon enough all those small victories will start adding up. I believe in you.

FemWired and Rayland like this.
  19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to send you hugs. I know such things suck.

My best friend at first misgendered me like grazy, only after I threatened to never talk her again she changed. My parents still misgender me despite knowing I'm on my way to start hrt.

Honestly never felt like I'm fitting in anywhere either. Most of the time I've felt alienated from everyone. Only in online I kinda fit, otherwise I don't and it all contributes to me feeling very lonely.

I struggled and still am in ways with finding my own individuality and the way I wish to express myself. It's all thanks to the internalized transphobia, what is awful, but I'm slowly getting there where I'm meant to get.

I even experienced transphobia with my dad, but also with my gp.

I think it's all what helps me to get stronger. To become the best version of myself. It really don't matter what others think or whether people say my own beliefs are transphobic. It's all who I am. I am an unique individual.

It's really all your own journey. Part of this process and more you experience you grow.

FemWired and Chillton like this.
  20. FemWired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I echo the sentiments that have already been posted, it's awful that you had to go through all that. Taking care of yourself is easier said than done, but remember that you do deserve to be happy. Taking things one step at a time is a good approach, and eventually, you can make the things that once seemed impossible possible.

I hope that you can continue to find the strength to work towards your own happiness and get the support you need along the way.