1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Bretoner Looking to make LGBTQ+ Friends

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by caper88, Jan 31, 2024.

1. caper88

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone, I am a 35 almost 36yr old female lesbian who has come out later in life. I am from Cape Breton Nova Scotia. I am finding it hard to make friends in the LGBTQ+ community. I don't drink or smoke so going to a bar isn't an option..not that there are gay bars anyways. Anyone have suggestions on how to make friends? or know of any good virtual places to go to other then here?

Kate Gr likes this.
  2. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to visit any LGBT groups in your area. Even if you don't like the group activity, it will be good exposure. You also might find a friend or two in the group that you can spend time with outside the group. They also may know of other groups and other LGBT social circles in your area that aren't advertised as much as others are.

There are also some LGBT social apps that are not heavily advertised as mainstream ones. There are more than you think. Unfortunately we cannot name drop them because it's against EC rules for safety reasons.

Some dating websites have another function just to find friends. However if you're not actively trying to date as well, then people may question your motives. I've asked about it before from my peers and they judged me for it. So it has some negative bias, but that is the jist I took away from it.

Violet Rain and Mirko like this.
  3. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard when you are in a small city, but really it's hard for everyone. I live in a big city (about 500,000) and I have problems meeting people too. In this town there are many lesbian couples, I have two couples in my own family!, but that doesn't make it any easier to meet them.
    I have had problems with depression, anger, etc. That is why I am on here trying to deal with my problems. I talk to a counselor once a week but I don't think they really understand what I am going through. Next week I will try a LGBT support group. Other than that I have given up looking for a decent warm friendly woman like myself. My counselor tells me I should not give up but she has probably never been in my situation, I can't stand the rejections. I have already developed a rejection complex which will affect all future relationships. My only advice is there is always dating sites, try googling Meetups, or LGBT support groups.

Violet Rain and Chillton like this.
  4. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been to Sydney, it's a great city. Too bad you don't live closer to Halifax, there's a huge community and a lot of activities in there, notably during PRIDE week.

5. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just an observation here: it's a fact that gay people tend to gravitate to places and cities where they feel they can meet other people like themselves. That in turn becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The sad fact is that that makes it harder for other people in places like Cape Breton or a million other places to meet people. Just another fact of life that we have to deal with.

Violet Rain and Chillton like this.
  6. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So so true. I'm in a small town on Canada's east coast, and although we do have an LGBT+ community here, I don't feel comfy joining it. This town is a huge gossip hub, and with the amount of conservative and hateful people here, it's best I stay hidden to protect my family from any repercussions.

7. Kate Gr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it hard to make friends in the community also and it's difficult to find legit spaces. Here if you want to talk :slight_smile:

JT1999 likes this.