Feeling and accepting being gay when drinking

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ashton234, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've admitted that and its a big step. For years it was something I knew in the back of mind but I wouldn't admit to myself. It may seem simple but acknowledging this really reset my perspective. I had to accept there was never going to be anything with a woman that came close to sex with a man. I think its possible to condition yourself to get used to doing something but that's different than enjoying it.

Don't worry about being 'normal' or even about accepting or telling others, work first on accepting yourself. The stronger that is the other things will come more naturally. Still hard, but doable!

I don't want to imply that I am some how completely 'cured' of anything you are experiencing, but it's important to compare yourself to where you were. Also, sometimes it feels a little overwhelming to read posts by people here who seem happy being gay, or who are out, or who have no baggage anymore and think "That could never be me!"
    That is how I felt when I came here. I never thought I could get past the shame and guilt or that feeling of hating myself about even fantasizing about sex.
    Before I was out to myself, I got drunk and had a hookup. I felt horrible afterwards and for years that I was somehow 'stained' after that encounter. Not to get graphic but last year I gave oral and wanted to swallow, and did. For weeks afterwards, I kept thinking about... what a beautiful erotic sensual experience it was! If you had asked me when I first came here if I would ever feel that way I would have not believed you.

Yes. Your whole body is telling you who you are. Resisting it is an exhausting battle. Accepting and acknowledging that is an incredible rush of joy and happiness.

Keller and Ashton23 like this.
  2. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the way, your posts have been helpful and will help others too. One reason I have probably replied so much is we have had such similar feelings and experiences, and it reminds me (and lots of other people here) that we're not alone. So thank YOU!

Morley299 and Ashton23 like this.
  3. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So many women have bad experiences with hookups with men and feel terribly about it afterward yet they keep on doing it, its a tough cycle to break. Glad I never went down that rabbit hole. I guess its probably the same with gay men and hookups.

Searching2022 likes this.
  4. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I accepted myself, I got drunk and hooked up with a guy and I felt ashamed and guilty for ... years... Like many here, I only accepted myself when drinking, and you're right the shame keeps the negative cycle!

When I first came here, I was still not convinced I was gay and certainly not ready to accept and feel good about it, I couldn't imagine feeling good about it. Now that I have accepted myself I drink less (no more binging!) and I certainly wouldn't do anything that would degrade me.

I was worried that I would feel bad after orgasming and that the guilt would come back, but I was surprised that it didn't and I snuggled with my partner after something I never did with women!

5. ashton234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Back again OP here. Fully explored and embraced the gay side but I do find myself going back to fantasies about women. It's like whatever I accept I am I then feel the other. Same with attraction, when I focus on men and accept yes OK I am gay I tend toward fantasies of women and when I focus my attractions on women I think no this is not as good or as natural when I think about men.

I don't know is this some sort of denial still or whether I'm bi it's hard to know. Has anyone had anything similar - even after fully trying to accept being gay but it not quite fitting?

I feel like because I enjoy giving oral to men I let that define my sexuality and ignore the things I do enjoy with women. I tell myself they are just fake feelings but they aren't going away so yeah if anyone has had something similar would love to hear from you.
    Thanks

6. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't remember if I asked you before on another thread or if it was someone else, but have you had much experience with women? There was about two years of my life where I didn't have anything sexual with guys and despite not pursuing it I still used to think about it, even sometimes when I was with a woman.

There's nothing bad about liking both. My desires seem to fluctuate between preferring my boyfriend and preferring women. I'm not sure if bi guys get that same sort of fluctuating desire or if thats just a female thing or maybe even just a 'me' thing.

#26 JT1999, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  7. ashton234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hey so yea I have had more experience with women than men. With women it's usually more with the same person a lot and with men more one offs, which are quite exciting by the very nature of the meeting. So in some ways they are more memorable and what I fantasise about when thinking about past experiences.

But then it fluctuates I have noticed and I have a desire to be with a women and want the V rather than the D. And then once that it satisfied I don't need it for a while.
    So confusing. I relate to this fluctuation thing you mention.

If you are with a boyfriend how do you go about this fluctuating desire? For you is it like the same desire as someone might have if they consider cheating on their partner or a deeper thing in your sexuality?

sorry for the questions just curious how you view your situation and relationship as I'm kinda in a similar one

8. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess my setup is a bit unusual, and we didn’t get into a relationship in the most straight-forward way. I’ve known him for over 6 years and for the first almost 3 years, we were more casual than proper boyfriend/girlfriend, as I was living in another city. I met him around the same time I was leaving my home town. He was working a lot back then and very busy, he didn’t want a relationship, wasn’t really on the market, but we just clicked so well and always made time for phonecalls and met up every few weekends. He took me on holiday quite a lot and I always made myself available when he needed a plus 1. I’d told him I was bi right at the beginning and he was cool with it - well, it was a fairly typical confident straight guy reaction, two girls is hot, that sort of thing. In the early days I did find it annoying that he didn’t seem to take my sexuality all that seriously. But we’ve both grown up a lot since.

So although it wasn’t a proper relationship back then I had made it obvious I had zero interest at all in other men but women were definitely something I was interested in. He was happy with that - I think he found it a bit of a turn-on tbh! I always used to give him the details and share the odd photo with him. And then after I moved back home and we became serious, I just kinda carried on as before. It was only more recently maybe about a year ago, when we started talking about moving in together that we had a proper discussion about my sexuality, fidelity and his expectations about how that fits with our relationship going forward. Essentially nothing has changed. He’s happy for me to have a bit of ‘girl time’ with a friend whenever it suits me as long as it doesn’t interfere with us.

I don’t know how anyone would go about asking an already exclusive partner for something like this because it seems like a massively unreasonable thing to ask. I’m lucky I just kinda fell into it.

9. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, I have a huge amount of respect for him for being so accepting of me. Sometimes when I think about it, I feel like a massive hypocrite because if it was the other way around and he was bi and I was his straight girlfriend, I wouldn’t be happy at all with something like that. It would make me feel very uneasy about our future together. I feel bad just typing that but it is true, I don’t know how he is so at ease with it.

10. ashton234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for sharing your intimate experience. I can relate to some aspects as I had a previous partner who was herself bi and we both accepted each other but I agree it's something that would be difficult midway through a relationship.
    I guess the fluctuations won't stop so either way I need to be open from the get go.

I am happy it worked out for you and thanks again for sharing it has been insightful and helpful for me to gain perspective.

JT1999 likes this.