1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you like about being a woman?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Canterpiece, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To all members who identify as such. We hear a lot about the downsides, so let's hear some positives!

2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ooh...that's got me thinking, Canterpiece.

I'd say first and foremost the support you get from other women, the feelings of being part of a greater whole: a sisterhood. Whether that's getting a smile from someone in a queue or a friend checking that you got home ok, women look out for other women and knowing that I'm seen as part of this makes me feel good.

More colourful, varied and stylish clothes, obviously. And accessories. And make up. So many options. So much fun!

That'll do for starters - I'm sure more will occur to me later on today!

Beth x

3. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me it's the jewelry. I love earrings, rings, necklaces and bracelets. I don't feel "dressed" if I go out without my jewelry. I feel naked. It's one of the few ways I'm so called "girly", no one thinks anything of seeing a woman wearing rings on pretty much every finger, and piercings in her ears. I also love makeup, even though I cannot wear much due to my trigeminal neuralgia, but I can wear eyeliner and mascara, which I do - black of course, I'm a metal music mama who is a bit of a tomboy as well. (I have my own style and I love it)

I agree we have to focus on the positives. Great idea for a thread!

DragonChaser, Saskia96 and Keller like this.
  4. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That’s a very good question. Answering from viewpoint of a transwoman still in the beginning of the journey, from the top of my head:

Like others said before me, abundant options for self expression trough looks and fashion, that’s a huge plus - there’s only so far you could go doing that as a man. And make-up is absolutely fantastic!

Another thing is emotions and feelings. Being a very emotional person by nature, I feel much more free in expressing and actually feeling them as a woman than I ever was as a man.

Rock on :metal:

5. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Like @Keller I have still a lot before me, but I will join in with makeup(especially eyeliner and lipstick). So many ways to create art of yourself! Nailpolish and accesoires are great too.
    A very important thing about being a woman to me is showing your emotions without repressing them.
    I hope all of that will someday be accepted regardless which gender one identifies as.

The best kind of mama

Keller, Violet Rain and DragonChaser like this.
  6. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are so many behaviors and traits that are associated with womanhood that I love, it's hard for me to pick a simple or short list.

I could wax about how good it feels to hear my name or "she" where once was "he," how many behaviors and conversations and ideas are perceived differently - more positively or at least more accurately - with that filter, or how many ways I've found to feel cute and beautiful and even sexy, even so early in my transition to womanhood.

Really, though, the biggest thing overall is simply how free I feel to be who I am and pursue the things I love and have always found attractive and appealing to my heart and mind, without the filter of how it fits into the (roll your eyes all you want, this is what it is) patriarchy.

Away from the aesthetic stuff, like a greater willingness to show off my bare legs and toes, I don't feel weird about being warm and friendly, giving hugs, or expressing empathy.

I've also found I'm way less interested in a long-term relationship. About a decade back, I wanted desperately to be with a woman to worship her womanhood, off the idea that I could never be one, so I'd have to find one and live vicariously. Needless to say, this doesn't create for the best relationships.

Now, I know exactly what I want from a relationship, and I know what healthy boundaries should look like for both of us; how I want to be treated and how another who loves me should be treated in turn. At the core is respect and autonomy and an understanding that we're human and we'll grow and change and there shouldn't be resentment for that if it means we grow apart.

All of these philosophies and ideas and aspects of myself came about through a recognition of my place in this world as a woman. If that single revelation can spark so much change, I'm so excited to see what the future holds! ^u^

I love you all, please be safe :heart:

Keller, chicodeoro and Saskia96 like this.
  7. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yup, ditto. I mean, I've always been an emotional person - sobbing during films, hugging, sometimes just feeling..overwhelmed by anger and sadness at the state of this world. Once I realised that I've always been a girl deep down, all this made perfect sense and I no longer felt any discomfort at my emotions. Instead, I felt proud.

So...Canterpiece, what do you like about being a woman?

Beth x

Keller, DragonChaser and Saskia96 like this.
  8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like my voice. I know that may come across as vain, but it's true. I like how I sound.

The more choice in clothes part is nice. Personally I shop in both sections, I check the women's first and then if I can't find what I'm looking for I check the men's.

I like dresses and skirts but I also like flannel and oversized over-shirts. Sometimes I go for an oversized over-shirt over a dress because why not? The choice is nice. Some days I can be a cottagecore pirate. Or slightly gothic. Or semi-casual 1960's inspired attire. Or grunge. Or a surfer. I love having fun with my look and consider my clothes to be an extension of my personality.

Don't get me wrong though, I dislike fast fashion and ignore trends in favour of however I want to dress. I keep clothes until they wear out and donate them when I can.

#8 Canterpiece, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  9. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same here. And when I do shop I usually go to charity shops - again, so much choice in the women's section there, compared to the men's.

I've just thought of another, fairly obvious, thing - having boobs. Even small developing ones like mine. Every morning now when I apply my oestrogel I look at my chest and I can't stop smiling. They make me so happy!

Beth x

Saskia96, DragonChaser and Keller like this.
  10. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Charity shops are great. I don't know what people used to do for clothes when there weren't charity shops everywhere.

Boobs are great too. I hated mine when I was a teenager as I always thought they were too small. But I love small ones just as much as big ones on other women, so I've learned to love what I've got.

11. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there much of a difference between your voice in your head, and your voice when you hear a recording played back? I always have a weird 'is that what I sound like?' moment when I hear myself on video.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I've always felt incredibly conflicted about my chest / boobs. It's a bit like there's two switches in my brain and when one turns off the other one switches on.

There are days where I'm uncomfortable with how prominent my chest is and I want to look flat. However, there are also days where I'm uncomfortable with how flat I look and I want my chest to look more pronounced!

I always figured this was just a part of puberty I'd grow out of, but turns out it's a feature. For a while I assumed this is how we all felt, but turns out that's not true so not quite sure what's going on with my mind haha.

There have been moments where I've questioned my gender because of this. However, I came to realise that I felt right when I dressed accordingly. I have small boobs, so on days where I'd rather look flat I can easily just wear something a bit loose and boom. Then, on days where I'd rather have a more obvious chest, I can wear something more fitted and ta da! Boobs.

I think I'd dislike being a woman if I had bigger boobs, then it would be more difficult. I realise this probably makes me a bit non-binary but I tend to prefer gender non-conforming woman.

Not really. I used to make short films and do voice overs, so I'm pretty used to how I sound. However, I do get that overawareness when I see myself on camera - e.g. 'Am I really that awkward with my hands?' 'Do I slouch that much?' 'Is this really how I look?'

JT1999, Saskia96 and DragonChaser like this.
  13. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people