1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Will I Know; Debating Between Heart and Head

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Black Cat, Aug 17, 2023.

1. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good people of EC, man has it been a while. I couldn’t think of where to turn to with my particular conundrum I’m currently facing, but I have a feeling this might be the place. I’m never – EVER – one to ask for help or reach out in any way, but I just can’t keep stewing on this. As I sit here in my office typing this, and feeling ever so “Carrie Bradshaw” (God, I’m officially an old gay now making references like this…) I already feel better about it. Just spelling out my problems on the page has always been helpful in my processing of them. As an overthinker to the extreme, sometimes just purging emotionally seems to solve a world of problems. So thank you, yes already. If you’ve made it this far, you’re already integral in my resolution to this issue, whatever it may end up being. :slight_smile:

So there’s this guy – isn’t there always? Honestly, I feel like most of what motivates us as humans, or at least motivates ME, is our desire to be loved. Loved by the masses. Loved by our families. Loved by just one other person. It’s a good reason to do anything. Cut your hair differently. Take up a new hobby. Even exercise. I’m not that crazy yet, but I have been doing some squats again recently…

But I digress. There’s this guy. He’s something special, at least I think he is. We’ve been going on dates and hanging out for nearly five months now. And I’m proud to say we have even used the “B” word when referring to one another – which imparted a semblance of clarity for me, much needed at that. I’ve met the family, spent the night, even been to holiday functions at the farm. We’ve kissed, held hands a lot, and snuggle nearly every time we’re together.

I’ve made the odd nudge and tried to inquire about his feelings, both for me and towards our relationship in general. He answered that he values our “decent” emotional connection and enjoys the time we do get to spend together despite us both having familial obligations and full-time jobs that drain us both of life and spare time. I text him nearly every morning – trying my best to not be clingy but rather just to wish him a good day and usually a flirtatious compliment.

As far as my own feelings, I’ve made them as clear as I can without letting my heart get the best of me and dropping the “L Bomb”. I spend nearly every weekend our schedules overlap helping on his family farm just so we can see each other. Getting only one day off per week, my time away from work is an insanely precious resource that I don’t give to just anybody.

Which begs the question: how will I know if *I’m* falling in love? It certainly feels like it. Is five months enough time? Is it too much? And, following up, how can I get my reserved country boy to feel comfortable opening up to me so I don’t lose anything in translation or spend time doing a trademark “Millennial Overthinking Mental Downward Spiral”?

I feel absurd even asking this as a 32-year-old who, while not heavily seasoned, has a decently long-term relationship under his belt (granted, it was more long-distance than this one, so there was far less emotional subtext to pick up on…) I’ve even GIVEN advice to people in relationships – so why am I struggling so to put on my own parachute here?

Love is, apparently, even more overwhelming a combination of emotions and questions than I expected. Perhaps it’s back to the belltower I go, destined for Spinster Guncletude and that feeling of contentedness, but laced with a twinge of bitter, heavy, what-could-have-been sadness and regret.

kwhale53 and Rayland like this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think from your text that you're already in love. You want to spend time with him and think of him. I'm really inexperienced myself, so take what I say with this in mind. I don't think falling in love has a time limit. It can happen instantly on the spot. It's not absurd to ask this. Falling in love can happen at any age too and feeling like a newbie in it is all normal too I think.

Communication is key to everything and if you don't try to take the relationship to the next level, then you will never know anyway what would happen.

So many times I think I should take my own advice too, so believe me you're not the only one we all struggle with similar stuff, but have our own unique experiences and viewpoints, so it's good to get advice from opposite side, even though you're the one who have given advice too on the topic.

kwhale53 and Black Cat like this.
  3. mlansing

32 seems a bit young to be worried about Spinster Guncletude :slight_smile: are your heart and mind torn because you don’t know how you feel or because you don’t know how he feels? Or both? As for your feelings, if it feels right it probably is. As for his feelings, give it time. You are already doing great in my opinion if you’re both comfortable using the “B” word.

Rayland and Black Cat like this.
  4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha! Thank you, and the spinster part was (mostly) a joke. Lol

I'm torn because I'm not sure if it's too soon and I don't want to be pushy. But I'm 90% sure he digs me and is just so mellow he doesn't show it. Whereas I'm much the opposite (especially since I felt like a loveless ice cube in my last relationship...) I more or less resolved to myself that after saying "I love you" first in my last relationship I ought to not let it out this time, hoping somehow that would give me more control over my feelings so I could be sure. Boy, was I wrong.

I really like the "If it feels right, it probably is" philosophy, so I'm going to try staying in that lane. :slight_smile:

Rayland and mlansing like this.
  5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mr Cat! It has been so long! If you even remember me, lol. It's been 8 or so years since we last spoke. For what it's worth, I have sent the occasional fond thought your way :grinning:

I'm going to add my two cents by agreeing with the above people. If you feel like you're in love, you probably are.
    It's normal to wonder, certainly. Especially if you don't live together and there's an element of planning going into every interaction.

After years with my own non-living-together boyfriend, I occasionally ask myself whether it's love or just a comfy routine. Whether I'm somehow coping more than loving. But then I wake up happy to find he texted me a stray thought in the middle of the night, and slightly giddy to send him a good morning.
    And when I wonder whether us not yet having a timeline to move in together means we're both stalling and should just put an end to it... there just is no question in my mind that we're on the right track, even if it takes months or even years more until we finally resolve our respective family obligations. At the very least we never go home without the next get-together or holiday planned. So while I might start wondering about details... in the main picture I can just tell I love him and I want to keep doing this.

So I guess that's my long-winded way of phrasing: trust your feelings. I get that it's different from your last relationship and you're afraid of making mistakes, but that all just shows you do L-word him.

Then, of course, there is getting more clarity about his feelings.
    You don't mention how old he is, but I am going on the assumption he's about the same age and this isn't the first time he's snuggled with another boy. So he might be having a bit of the same baggage. This whole "busy job and family obligations" thing might have been the very thing that sank a previous relationship. So he might be thinking that there is some benefit in seeing whether you're sticking along with him even with these limits on his time.

If you want to escalate and see how he reacts, there are ways of doing so without dropping the L-bomb. Something like "You know, I honestly think I'm much happier ever since I met you" get a measure of it across without asking for an L-word in reply. Also, I realise that you don't have a lot of time off, but going on a short actual holiday (as in: not just "hanging out", but going to a place you both have never been to and explore together) for three or four days might help elucidate things. We are different people when we have no obligations. Might take a while to get it planned, but it might be a goal to work towards together!

Above all, I am glad to see you're doing well! Hope to see you again sometime!

kwhale53, Mirko and Black Cat like this.
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, the age old dilemma of the L world! When do we admit to ourselves that we are in love (there, I said it) and then... when do we admit it to the other person?

Okay, let's get to the point. You are in love. Everything you wrote confirms it. As for telling him, I would say if you feel it, say it. You can build up to it, of course, by dropping some fairly big hints about your feelings first.

Trust your instincts and be prepared to take the leap. Love involves taking risks and it's natural to feel a bit scared, but maybe he feels exactly the same way. Is it possible that you are both holding back for the same reasons? Taking the risk can lead to a deeper connection and growth in the relationship.

When it feels right, it feels right!

Mirko, Black Cat and Rayland like this.
  7. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update for those who’ve offered such wonderful advice:

I went to spend Saturday afternoon with him, as I usually do on his rotating weekends off. We had a few hours together, catching up from our last visit two weeks before. I had decided, and spent the day preparing myself, to tell him how I felt. Right as we reached a natural pause in our chatting (which I love - even silence isn’t awkward with him) I took a deep breath and, to my surprise, so did he. He came out first. With the suggestion we keep in touch as friends. His reasoning was that two visits a month with our busy schedules isn’t enough to build a relationship on. He made several valid points.

I told him how I felt anyway - knowing neither of us have many friends so our keeping in touch at all was unlikely. I also told him he made many good points, and I hadn’t minded at all making the drive to his farm every two weeks because both he and my time with him was special to me.

I’m crushed. I will freely admit he and his points weren’t wrong. But that doesn’t make it hurt less. He told me I could still spend the weekend there and we could discuss it further, which I wanted to do, but I feared both my composure and pride would collapse and I’d end up begging. Not a good (or healthy) situation to put myself in. So we hugged and I left.

I barely slept last night. I almost had a panic attack. But today I exercised, baked blueberry muffins, and meditated.

Was he “The One”? Probably not. Frankly I’m not even sure I believe in “The One”, but that’s another topic for a more theoretical discussion.

But thank you so very much to those who’ve chimed in. I appreciate it and felt I owed an update. On a selfish note, I needed somewhere to document my feelings for the processing. And, as a sentimentalist, to look back on when my heart heals and I grow.

Follow-up question:

What’s a good way to keep one’s head level when falling for a fella (or lady, I’d imagine the emotions are the same even if the parts aren’t…lol) so I don’t fall too hard, too fast?

Keller and Filip like this.
  8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww. I'm sad to hear that it didn't turn out to go your way. Though it still sounded like it was done in mutual respect and openness, which is always good and leaves one with a better feeling after all the sadness has gone.

You might not like this, but... I don't have the impression you did it wrong this time. I understand fully that right now you're in a place of heartbreak, and heartbreak never feels like it was worth it.
    But on the other hand, I don't see a way to give a relationship a proper chance without actual emotional investment. It feels like a worthwhile goal to keep it purely on the intellectual level, then have a talk, and decide to start investing emotionally. But without at least some emotional investment (and thus, risk of hurt), you're unlikely to get to such a commitment.

In a way, I think that was what the other guy did too much. He tried assessing the situation, saw a lot of practical issues (not entirely wrong), and decided that odds of success are low. Which, as you say, are good points. I also feel like he's falsely assuming that the current situation is what life will be forever, and he underestimates what two determined people can do if they decide to really find a solution. That doesn't mean a guarantee of success, but it definitely also shows there are risks in overintellectualizing.

So... I don't think you did anything wrong. You showed some vulnerability, you gave it an honest chance, you "lived the relationship for a while". It hurts now, but I think that this is also the attitude that will yield success in the long run!

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Black Cat! I'm sorry to read that things have not turned out as you had hoped. Filip and others have mentioned great points and there is one phrase that Filip mentioned in his last post that I think is worth emphasising: vulnerability.

You have made yourself vulnerable and have opened a window into your life for another person. It might not feel like it at this very moment, but this is something to hang on to. You have been in the arena as it were and you have experienced the joy, possibilities of a relationship and perhaps some the doubts and fears that come with it. This has incredible value and will allow you to only build a strong relationship down the line.

I'm not sure there is anything one can do when falling for someone. It happens without us trying. I suppose a good way to 'counter' it is to ensure you have the supports you need when realising that things might not work out.

10. mlansing

Other than the heartbreak, there’s nothing here to feel bad about. Anytime I try with a guy and it doesn’t work out, I tell myself I’m proud of you for putting yourself out there. I think you can say the same to yourself with a clear conscience. Thank you for the update, and take care of yourself as you let this one go.

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry it didn't work out.

It's completely normal to feel hurt and confused right now. Even though things came to an end in an amicable way, it doesn't lessen the rawness of your feelings and it will take a bit of time to heal from the experience.

It's natural to feel guarded after a breakup, but I agree that vulnerability is a necessary part of any relationship and I hope you will not allow this experience to discourage you from being your open and authentic self in future. You can't really fall in love, while holding back. That's not say you should rush in head first at the get go and throw all caution to the wind, but I don't get the sense that you did so this time anyway. It really doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

Does the "one" exist? Well, that's a big question and it's easy to become cynical about it. Just remember that finding a life partner is a journey and it's okay to have doubts along the way. The best thing is to build a good foundation with someone instead of searching for perfection. It's from that foundation that love can really develop, over time.

Everyone's healing process is unique, so do take time and give yourself space for reflection in the days and weeks ahead, but without excessive rumination or self blame. It's sad that it didn't turn out as you hoped, but don't go down rabbit holes. I don't think you need to.

12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry it didn't work out hope you find a new guy to date in the future

13. kwhale53

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So sorry, Cat!
    I agree with those who said it was worth the journey, tho!
    ( ' ,

mlansing and Black Cat like this.