1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about antidepressants and lessened libido

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Rayland, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a kind of embarrassing thing for me to talk about, but I found out my antidepressants might interfere with my libido, what is very frustrating to me, because this is like a kind of coping mechanism to me and when I can't do my thing it adds stress levels. I'm not sure what I should do about it. It's not like it interferes my everyday life. It's just frustrating as someone who do have these needs quite often. My question is how should I approach this issue. Should I leave it be? What would a doctor or psychiatrist do, if you describe having this issue? I'm too shy to talk about it. Thank you for taking time to reply.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reduced libido is a possible side effect of antidepressants, but it's by no means a sure thing. When I was taking antidepressants I didn't notice any change in my libido, which I was pleased about.

If you do find that your prescribed antidepressants are affecting your libido, don't be afraid to ask if there is an alternative that you could try. Doctors and psychiatrists have a range of antidepressants they can prescribe now and it's not unusual for them to try something different if a patient talks about side effects. If you are too shy to talk about it you could write it down instead. Alternatively, you could refer to side effects in a more general way. Rather than going into specifics, you could say someting like:
    "I am finding that this medication is really numbing my feelings and making me more sluggish and disinterested. I'm worried that it's actually suppressing my inclination to enjoy things that make it easier to cope. Could I try something different, maybe with fewer side effects?."

What do you think? Might this work?

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a good idea. I will try talk about it the way you said in my next appointment. Thank you.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Patrick said. Also, depending on how long you've been on them, it might be worth waiting a few more weeks to see if it evens out. I had some impact to my libido early on, but it faded and returned to normal.

Rayland likes this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on them for a few years now. The first one I took caused me terrible stomach pain, if I took a larger dose, but the smaller dose lost it's effect, so I needed something else and now I'm on escitalopram. The one before was Sertraline.

6. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've recently been prescribed antidepressants because of anxiety and mood swings. But my doctor told me that the sexual side effects can be quite strong and they can last long sometimes indefinitely even after people have stopped taking the tablets. I've been told there's other drugs or techniques that people can use to reverse this effect but honestly it's made me nervous even though I need the help. So I can completely understand where you're coming from here.

Rayland likes this.
  7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I've heard this too. It's my first time dealing with something like this, so I'm very much a newbie. I just could relate to some other people who talked about it who's group I'm part of and it didn't occur to me before, that it might be because of antidepressants for me too, so it was a realization or maybe there is something else that causes it. And thank you. I am nervous about these other methods or what if the new one gives me worse side effect. When I forgot to take antidepressants a few times, then I was having tremors all over. I want to very much get off them, but currently I don't see it happening. My current one does help me, but I do still get depressed and just my emotions go through the roof and my thoughts tend to race. My intrusive thoughts luckily haven't been back at all. So the antidepressants have been helpful. It shouldn't numb down the feelings though and my doctor told me that if it did, then it wouldn't be right and something would be needed to be done.

8. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe permanent sexual side effects are rare, if that's any consolation. You could always switch to a different kind of drug like Wellbutrin or mirtazapine.

Cinnamoon and Rayland like this.
  9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that the side effects people have can vary. Different people tell me different things about their experiences with them. Usually they talk about weight changes, emotional detachment, and sex drive.

I have been on sertraline since it was Zoloft. It didn't dent my sex drive at all. It lessened the downturns and I did feel detachment. I may have missed out on a lot because of the emotional blunting.

I have been on bupropion as well for half a year now. I don't know how it affects my sex drive. There was a slight downturn before I started it, so I started seeing it with just the sertraline. I credit this to getting older more than anything else. The bupropion has made me less depressed, prone to slight weight loss, but it has made me too relaxed. I've never felt this calm and indifferent before.

I might consider an adjustment, but this is a better place for me nonetheless. But I won't ask for one just yet. Adjustments of mental health medications are common as many more of them become available. Don't be afraid to ask for what will get you to where you want to be. You'll know when it's working out for you.

mnguy and Rayland like this.
  10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lack of libido might not be only related to antidepressants, Rain. If there are other things in your life that are stressful - and living as trans in the closet and gradually coming out is pretty stressful - that may have something to do with it too..

Beth x

mnguy and Rayland like this.
  11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is true. I am under a lot of stress and worry beside just trying to finally live as myself. I'm doing things the previous self would have never dared to do. In so many ways I'm going out of my comfort zone or trying to stay just inside the box I've created. This all includes my sexuality. I'm actually talking to people about it. Only online though this far. I'm finding myself more and more.

mnguy likes this.