1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Then and Now religious views

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bl3ssed1, Aug 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not talking about myself. I'm talking about overall. End of discussion.

2. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That that is even a question is just morally insane.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All....I am hoping that this very educational and enlightening thread can continue without any kind of rancor. Let's all work hard to keep it that way! :old_smile: @Searching2022 You are right there are certainly cultures in the past where homosexuality was discouraged. There were also cultures in the past where homosexuality was common. To my knowledge no one has ever made any kind of a study to see if one was more prevalent than the other...indeed if such a study were even possible.

As far as the Bible goes.... @PatrickUK mentioned that there are only six passages in the entire Bible that are used to condemn the LGBTQ Community. There are serious reasons that everyone of those passages should be translated/understood differently than is common today. I can go into that for anyone who is interested...just let me know. Also...an interesting fact: The word "Homosexuality" was not invented until 1869. It was not used in the Bible until 1946. So were there no problems with homosexuality prior to 1946? I realize I'm being a bit facetious, but the question is valid in it's own way. :old_oops: That adds a bit to the concept of how can the Bible condemn a concept that simply didn't exist when it was written.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When we are having conversations about faith, or anything else on this forum, we need to be very careful to read the entirety of what people write in a thread and not snip out a few lines or quotes to reject or critique another's point of view. When we behave like that people may feel targeted or attacked for their views. This is an important standard, because some people of faith (and I use the word some very deliberately) behave in exactly the same way towards the Bible and other works of holy scripture. Lines are often snipped from the Bible to undergird prejudice towards the LGBTQ community and other groups in society and it's wrong on so many levels, yet it happens again and again.

The numerous authors of the Bible and other works of holy scripture had no concept of homosexuality as we understand it in the modern context. How could they? As pointed out by @quebec, homosexuality is a modern concept (mid 19th century) to describe consensual love and intimacy between two people of the same sex. In their centuries of writings the authors of scripture were addressing a very different set of sexual behaviours, which often amounted to coercion and domination. This is where context and scriptural literacy become so important and it goes back to my earlier post in this thread about the need to engage in real study of the development of religious beliefs and traditions with a questioning mindset and a willingness to investigate and research ideas without bias, including athiestic bias.

I could write pages and pages on this subject. I have written pages and pages on it. It's sufficient to say that a careful and mature reading of holy scripture will present us with a very different perspective on the supposed sinfulness of same sex love and intimacy (homosexuality).

5. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But there was a strong passage- even commandment about adultery, which all sex outside of marriage falls under. It seems ancient Hebrew societies had strong taboos against non male female monogamous practices.
    That is my greater point. It is clearly a sin in that tradition but its a sin equal with drunkenness, anger, and pre martial sex, its just not a greater, special sin.
    On a little side note, I am not religious, but I have read about it, and I don't think people condemn others, they condemn behavior. That is at least what 'they' say. So does everyone. We call people homophobic. that's judging and condemning behavior.
    I am not saying that people do not do that, what I am saying is there were broader arguments against homosexuality (and other forms of anything outside sex for procreation) in multiple religious (clearly in Islam, some forms of Hinduism, Buddhism, Tao, Judaism, some pre pagan religions) , philosophical, and cultural traditions across time and place. Plato, I think argued against it as against nature. So this wasn't just a few lines from the bible, or some misinterpretation or mistake its part of a framework to manage a society.

I don't think you don't know this or intended it to mean so but this 'only six references' makes it sound like it was something very isolated, where many cultures where focused on creating a strong monogamous family unit of male and female.

People can argue that's no longer relevant, or times have changed, or they can argue that this should not change. But I do take issue with the idea that it was just driven by a few theologians for some nefarious purpose. It was part of a broader framework to uphold and manage a society.

If an apocalypse happened and we went back to the stone age, and our survival depended on division of manual labor, our acceptance of issues like gender or even male/female labor integration would probably change very quickly.

#85 Searching2022, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That feeling is not productive. You didn't ask to feel how you feel. We don't know how things will turn out in any aspect of our lives. If you feel that way, the guilt mongers win. That would be the people who are white, comfortable, conservative, have 2+ kids, and go to church. That means they get to make the rules. I say no.

I would try to reconcile your sexuality with being okay spiritually. Some members here have done that, some are working on it, and some haven't started. That's more of an observation than a judgment. I am in the middle category - I'm working on it and feeling better as I go.

7. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is the 'soft bigotry' that I see so much in this community.
    So I guess this is ok in your eyes since they are not white and Christian?
    https://www.economist.com/britain/2...parents-oppose-lgbt-lessons-in-primary-school
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47040451
    https://twitter.com/nwarikoo/status/1579611348744679428

"The proportion of African Americans who indicated that homosexuality was “always wrong” was 72.3% in 2008, largely unchanged since the 1970s. In contrast, among white respondents, this figure declined from 70.8% in 1973 to 51.6% in 2008,"
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2974805/

you would NEVER say something so hateful about anyone but white Christians.

#87 Searching2022, Aug 27, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  8. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    WOW!

9. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Personally, I know a LOT of LGB who are white, voted for Trump (twice), live comfortably, have kids, and go to church. I was asked to cut 120 LGBFJB stickers for my G-peeps in Philly. You should leave your echo chamber sometimes.

10. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay people. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's fine. We come from different backgrounds and have different beliefs, and that's wonderful! The world is diverse and we don't need to feel forced to think exactly like others.

However, when we say we are talking about love and doing good while at the same time condemning others to hell for being who they are, we need to take a step back and think if we are really expressing love and compassion or if we are expressing lack of empathy towards those who are considered different (and maybe towards ourselves and our own feelings).

I believe everyone here had good intentions but, for now, it's best to take a deep breath and think about what is our objective here and how our messages are coming across. Finally, I urge everyone to read the Code of Conduct again. Discussions are welcome, but the fact the forum has rules shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.