1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Then and Now religious views

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bl3ssed1, Aug 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What were the religious views you were raised under? (Atheist, Agnostic, Catholic, Christian, Muslim, etc)

What are your religious views now?

My family was a mix of Quaker and Wiccan. I'm now a protestant Christian.

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up Mormon. Now, while I have a great deal of respect with a variety of religious viewpoints, I wouldn't describe myself as religious.

3. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Would you say you're now agnostic? Or do you still hold the Mormon beliefs without practicing? I attempted to study a variety of religions just to understand each faith. I also consider atheism and agnosticism a faith--many disagree with me.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I would describe myself as agnostic. I think there is a deeper dimension to experience that people experience in a variety of ways. My degrees are actually in comparative religious studies. I may have just seen too many things that I deeply appreciated to subscribe to any way that views itself as the only way.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't belong under any faith. I believe in God and I have a mix of views from different religions what resonate with me.

The meanings of faith and being atheist are completely different.

Atheist - a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
    Faith - complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

It's contradiction in it's terms already.

While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. To put it in a more humorous way: If atheism is a religion, then not having an hobby is an hobby.

Also agnostic and atheist are pretty much very similar, if not saying the same meaning.

6. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't raised in a religious environnement, even if some person in my family are catholics, and I am an atheist now. Someday, the idea of believing in a god/gods/godess/anything seems really nice, and maybe reassuring in some way ? But I really can't believe in God. I have tried, but I can't.

7. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Faith, more accurately, is a high degree of trust or confidence. I have a lot of atheist friends, and they have a high degree of confidence there is no God. They also have a high degree of trust in science (big bang theory, theory of evolution, etc). "Faith" isn't necessarily a religious word. We put faith in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Faith is a belief of what is true.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then:
    My dad is an athiest, but mum was more agnostic and it's within that environment of skepticism that I was raised. My grandparents though, were mildly religious, although not regular churchgoers.

Now:
    I identify as a christian, although many of my beliefs differ from the traditional interpretation. While I find inspiration in the fundamental teachings of Jesus, I remain unconvinced by many of the classic claims of miracles or the notion of a God with human pronouns who dwells in the heavens above the earth, slightly higher than aircraft.

Although I hold the Bible in high regard, I approach it with a healthy dose of skepticism and recognise the importance of reading it carefully, considering it's historical development and context. Treating religious scriptures, including the Bible, as literal works akin to Harry Potter leads to endless interpretations and misunderstandings (often to suit the prejudice/s of the reader or preacher). It's this tendency towards literalism and Bible bashing that lends support to the argument of militant athiests that religious belief is entirely delusional. In actual fact, it's not... or at least, it doesn't have to be.

Fairly long answer, but I've learned of the need to clarify when I talk about my faith, just so people don't think "I'm one of them." :smile:

9. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's a very thought provoking response. I agree we should be very skeptical of what preachers and pastors teach.
    If I may ask, what led you from an atheist/agnostic upbringing to becoming a Christian? I usually hear stories of people coming from a religious background and growing toward atheism in adulthood. I rarely hear stories like yours and often find them intriguing.

10. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree faith isn't necessarily a religious word and the meaning is still same as stated before, but to me atheist is a person and faith is not a person. I feel like this is something we can argue all day over, but lets just agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

Science is the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation, experimentation and the testing of theories against the evidence obtained.

Theory is a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

Faith is putting your trust into someone or something that isn't necessarily proven by science or other facts. Faith in science is different from religious faith. Saying that faith in religion and faith in science is the same will annoy the heck out of scientists. Religion has no equivalent record of discovering hidden truths.

11. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My immediate family - atheist, although my dad's side is very strictly Christian and tried to influence. Still atheist lol. I understand not all Christians are hateful, but I'm thankful my dad is coincidentally the only member of his family to break away from it, considering the rest of them can be pretty dang judgemental.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people I know had a very bland and boring experience of Religious Education at school, but I was taught RE in a very different way, beginning with deep questions about ethics and morality and I just found it fascinating. I still find it fascinating to see how people develop their views and opinions about ethics and morality and the way in which religion and philosophy shapes all of those views.

I guess a lot of credit needs to go to my Religious Education teacher, who realised just how interested I was in all of this and nurtured my interest. He persuaded me to look more closely at the different world religions and the influence of Christianity on our society, and to understand how different faith and belief systems developed for good and for ill. The fundamental (not fundamentalist) teachings of Jesus are not difficult to understand. They are timeless and inspirational to me. I truly believe that if we followed Jesus' teachings without our own spin, the world would be a much better place.

13. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for sharing. I also believe the teachings of Jesus are understandable, and a basis for living. I'm one of those people who read the Bible and see that it's how I'm supposed to live my own life, and not push it on others, but share the goodness of it all through my own actions. I'm not one of those Christians who tries to convince others to believe what I do. My effort is to just live it. I fail a lot.

14. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry to hear that your Christian family members are so judgemental. In my Christian life, I use the Bible to determine how I should live my life, and not to tell others how they should live theirs.

15. Chizu

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a kid, I was raised to believe in God as a higher power and an afterlife, but that was it. When I started college, I became an atheist. Now, I'm something else.

I study religion a lot. I've read holy texts like the Bible, the Tao Te Ching, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, some Buddhist sutras, the Bhagavad Gita, etc.

I can't really come up with a label for what I am. I guess technically, it's New Age, but that's a broad term and there's a lot of New Age stuff I do NOT believe in.

Generally, I believe in reincarnation, a spirit realm, spirit guides, and some form of higher power. I think there's new souls and old souls, souls that cycle out of the cycle into something higher, and new souls that are in their first human incarnation. I don't think there's a set time period a spirit spends in the spirit world before reincarnation, maybe its optional - I don't know.

You see, when I say I "believe" it, it doesn't really mean I'm fully convinced it's a reality. It's just resonance. It resonates with me.

I think it's important to live life to its fullest, just in case this life really is the only life we've got. But I also think it's important to live a good life, be generous, and treat everyone with love and kindness, since it couldn't hurt the life we live now, and could only add to a life in the herafter
    if there's more.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Was raised going to church, but all I've learned since realizing I'm gay, has made it clear to me it's so full of man-made stuff for their own power and to control women and others, I have no interest. Is there some energy/power/whatever in the universe? I dunno but the universe is a lot bigger, older and more fascinating than what I was told to believe, and it's the same energy for everyone, if there is anything at all. It's tragic billions of people have been killed and destroyed so much in history fighting over and trying to force others to believe one way. I want no association to all the abuse and death for LGBTQ+ people due to religions either.

17. Bl3ssed1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree 100% that faith is not a person. I'm not sure why we would have any disagreement on that. I also agree faith is a high degree of trust and confidence in some one or some thing. People use faith to determine what they believe to be true. The statement, "there is no God" is a statement of faith. They have high confidence there is no God. The faith here is the idea that there is no God.

I have limited trust and confidence in science; my degrees and board certifications are in science and law. My job, as a scientist, has always been to always question the science. Only recently have we been told to "trust the science" without the ability to observe the data first.

18. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sentence what you said is what I strongly disagree with and what led to this conversation:

"I also consider atheism and agnosticism a faith--many disagree with me."

I may very well misunderstand it. I am confused, because how can be not believing in something be also a faith.

Trust in science and faith in god are different things too is what I'm saying.

All of it is my own opinion though.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting topic that comes around every now and then.

I was raised in a Christian faith - specifically Catholicism. In other parts of the world, Catholics are almost always seen as Christians. In the U.S., some people take issue with that and think that their evangelical Protestant way of worship is true Christianity. I won't even touch this.

My parents kept going to church and I got so busy during my university studies when I was also working part-time that my attendance began to slip.

If someone asked me my religious beliefs, I'd say I was Catholic. I don't agree with all of it and question some things. But it's better suited to me than other religions I've been exposed to. I have more of an issue with the bad things that happen in the church than with the doctrine.

The most important thing I've learned along the way is that you should treat people the way you'd want to be treated. If I'm doing that, I'm usually feeling pretty comfortable with myself.

20. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....Oh my goodness, what a topic! :old_big_grin: I was not raised in a church and came to my faith/beliefs on my own. Over my life I have studied the Bible and other religious books extensively. Especially after I accepted that I am and always have been gay, I spent a great deal of time studying the relevant passages in the Bible concerning LGBTQ issues. I read these passages word-for-word in the original Greek and Aramaic with the help of several different translations and Greek/Aramaic dictionaries/lexicons. I don't pretend to be a scholar of languages, but I did my best to get down to the very core of the information. I have come to the conclusion that Jesus was the son of God sent to save the world from from their rebellion against God. And that God, in His mercy made a way to bring us back to Him. As far as what the Bible says concerning same-sex relationships we need to understand that the society that existed during the time that the New Testament was written, the first century AD was a great deal different than our society today. Committed same-sex relationships as we know them today simply did not exist in the 1st century. The homosexual relationships that existed in the 1st century normally fell into one of two categories: 1) pagan sex-priests/priestesses who performed "rites" with worshipers of their gods or 2) A tradition of a mature man having a young boy from a good family who he mentored in the ways of the world as the boy grew up. This included many things as well as sex with the boy always being the "receiving" partner. Sometimes this meant "intercurial" sex...between the legs rather than actual penetration, however, actual penetration was usually the norm. When the boy was able to grow a beard the period of mentoring came to an end. The early church condemned this practice and both of these practices have been misinterpreted today to mean that the Bible condemned same-sex relationships from as early as the 1st century. A pastor friend of mine made the comment (yes, I have pastor friends!) that the Bible cannot be made to say today something that it did not say when it was written. The Bible does not condemn same-sex relationships as we known them today because they did not exist in the first century as we know them today...therefore the Bible does not condemn same-sex relationships as we know them today. There is a great deal more to this whole discussion. I am willing to share that with anyone who is interested...just let me know by sending me a message and I will reply.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.