1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To my brothers and sisters in transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staticinmyattic, Jul 5, 2023.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’d like to share something that I hope will help if/when you get clocked in public. Every time I see someone who I register as trans, I go through a huge flood of emotions. This is because seeing a trans person in the wild is like encountering an actual superhero for me. I just want to rush over, announce that I want to be your friend, and ask “how the hell are you so brave, and how can I be too?”

Then I remember what I look like. I’m just another cis guy staring at the trans person. So I look away very quickly and avoid all eye contact, because I don’t want my own issues to become yet another small burden on your trip to buy milk and bread. I walk alway emotionally transformed hoping not to have been noticed.

So if you catch me, or someone who looks like me, staring, I’m so sorry. It’s not out of fear or judgement or objectification, and I know that I’m trying my best. It just might be that the cis guy staring you down is wondering “How did she do it? Can I? God I wish I could ask.”

2. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I've had a narcissistic streak in me... okay, have, so I'm always reluctant to toot my own horn, though I know that's the reason I try to live as out as I can be in my current circumstances. I want other people to see, especially other transpeople, so they can feel confident and hopefully join me.

I hate to say "it feels heroic" because it's not really a massive act of heroism... but it is still kinda heroic. There are villains out there, declaring "Show your face, and you're dead!" and here I am, showing my face. I may not be Jean Grey, but that's at least an early Jubilee! ~_^

Rayland and Wanderlost like this.
  3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As trans people we stand on the shoulders of all those who have come out before us. I don't think bravery or courage comes into it. For me, I couldn't possibly have come out before the moment I did in 2020. I knew in about 1980, but due to societal transphobia, accepting myself wasn't a realistic possibility until the day it finally happened.

Anyway.. to answer your question - can you do it, Static? Of course, you can.

Hugs, Beth x

#3 chicodeoro, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2023
    Rayland and Wanderlost like this.