1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend said she doesn’t have romantic feelings for me. Really hurt and confused

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by AnxiousReader, Jun 16, 2023.

1. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So the last 48 hrs or so have been very rough for me emotionally. About two weeks ago I posted on here about how I finally told my friend that I had romantic feelings for her. We hugged, and it felt like a really intimate hug, (it was so amazing I almost felt like I was in a daze), and I also held her hand. I was on cloud nine and felt incredible. Nothing in my life has felt more right than that moment. Next day we met up again and held hands in her car. She told me she was confused about her feelings though and didn’t know what she was feeling. She did say though she wanted to take things slow and see how things went, go on a few dates etc. Life got a bit busy so we weren’t able to meet up but two days ago I asked if we could go on our first real date next weekend. I was going to take her out to dinner. She ends up texting me back and saying she feels like she confused platonic feelings for romantic ones and that she doesn’t think she likes me romantically despite all the things that happened. Needless to say I was shocked because things seemed to be going so well and I was devastated because I have loved this girl from afar for a while and frankly I feel a bit used. She has apologized profusely but I can’t seem to understand what happened. After it happened I spent the entire day off and on crying. I feel really confused and I don’t even know what to say to her. She’s not straight so I know this isn’t about her sexuality because she’s been with a girl before but I just don’t know why she would let me think I had a chance only to completely change her mind. I also will add I did not initiate any of the things we did. I told her my feelings but both times we held hands and the intimate hug were things she did and I followed her lead. I definitely wouldn’t have presumed to hold her hand if I thought she only thought of me as a friend. I know some people do this as a friendly gesture but for me that’s something I only reserve for romantic relationships. I just am feeling really lost and heartbroken right now and I don’t know what to do. Despite feeling hurt I still love her and a part of me hopes maybe she just was scared and pulled away out of fear? She did say that she tends to have attachment issues and she has limited experience with love.

2. Ingvermama

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh anxious reader I feel so sad for you. I have felt this pain before, and it’s so so hard. Could you ask her to talk to you about why she changed her mind. It might be she doesn’t want to lose you as a friend, which could be likely if things get confused with sexual feelings. I hope you are able to spend some time being kind to yourself the next few days. *hugs*

Wanderlost and AnxiousReader like this.
  3. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been in a similar place, I'm there now in fact. It's painful but you're not alone. Like Ingvermama says, take some time for yourself over the next few days. As weird as it sounds, don't take her reaction personally as its nothing you have or haven't done if that makes sense. Sometimes these things are out of our control and when they happen we need to love ourselves and remind ourselves that we're just as worthy by ourselves as we are in a relationship

4. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    that's tough...

I'm not in her head and can't speak for her, but it's possible that she simply didn't know if she wanted a relationship with you. she said to take it slow and to see where it went, that she didn't know what she was feeling. it's probable that she thought getting in a groove with you would make it clearer, and in the end she found out that you're a friend to her. it may have nothing to do with how attractive you are but simply with the nature of your relationship
    she's your friend, so I doubt she was playing with you.

5. Elenor6

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember to take care of yourself during this time. Seek support from trusted friends, family, or even a therapist who can provide guidance and help you navigate through these emotions. It's important to give yourself time to heal and process your feelings before deciding on your next steps.

6. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did ask her the next day via text to help me better understand her thinking but honestly I’m still really confused. She basically said that she knew she felt positive feelings toward me and cared about me a lot and that she thought these feelings might be romantic, and since she knew I enjoy romantic gestures she wanted to do these things because she thought if she liked me romantically these were things she should do. But apparently when I asked for the date she said she realized she didn’t actually like me as someone to date. :frowning2:

#6 AnxiousReader, Jun 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  7. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess in all this what hurts me the most is that if she had doubts about liking me, I wish on some level she hadn’t done the things she did. I wish instead of giving me a hug me that basically felt like cuddling it was so long and letting me stroke her back with my fingers and then holding my hand for extended periods twice on two different occasions, she had just kept more distance. Because for her those things maybe didn’t mean much but I assumed they did because they meant more to ME than anything in my life. I had an ex before several years ago but we never met in real life so we only had an online relationship. This then was my FIRST TIME ever holding anyone’s hand, being that close to a girl in that context etc. And honestly it felt like a movie it was so right. I have never felt that way before and it felt like a light bulb went off. I still think men are attractive but damn I’m pretty certain I’m gay and the way I felt sitting there with her confirmed it. So this hurts on multiple levels for me because this was kinda a huge moment and now I feel like it’s all just disappeared.

#7 AnxiousReader, Jun 17, 2023
  8. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. :frowning2: it just sucks because this happens to me every time with women and I finally thought someone actually liked me. I’m always just a friend to everyone I’ve ever liked almost so it feels like I’m friendzoned constantly. I also really felt bothered by her being touchy with me after learning she didn’t like me. I’m not someone who goes around touching my friends so it only confused me more. I am rarely comfortable enough with someone as it is who isn’t a family member to touch me so the fact that she did and I really liked it made her special in my eyes.

9. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very sorry this happened to you Hannah, you're a special woman and deserve so much happiness, and I believe in my heart that if you just keep being you that some lucky person will take notice and you will have your "happily ever after." *hugs*

AnxiousReader likes this.
  10. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appreciate all the supportive comments so much. Thank you all.

#10 AnxiousReader, Jun 17, 2023
    Wanderlost and Aeolia like this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I’m so sorry that happened to you. I totally understand why you feel so hurt. As people above have said I’m not in her head but honestly I think she probably didn’t intend to hurt you. I mean she could have let it go on longer and gone on a couple of dates with you and then told you it wasn’t working. Someone telling you they like you is really flattering and she clearly cares for you as a friend so perhaps she really wanted to like you. I think you have to take some time to let yourself grieve because obviously it’s horrible how you are feeling but it will get better and you will find someone who returns your feelings and when you do, I promise it will be worth it.

12. Yohan essa

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i don't know if manipulation of feelings is allowed in this forum as an advise, that is what i can advise you

13. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m really sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you care about her very much and you’ve gotten mixed signals. I wish I had some brilliant advice for you. Someday you’ll find someone who treats you with the care and love you deserve.

mzed and AnxiousReader like this.
  14. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. That’s extremely kind. I really appreciate it. It’s def still a struggle. It’s been about three weeks and unfortunately for me my feelings haven’t changed and I still care about her and love her as much as ever. :/ I don’t really know how to go from here.

15. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don’t know how to go but please take gentle care of yourself.

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    have you seen your friend much in those 3 weeks?

17. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We haven’t seen each other in person. We also have barely texted because last week she was dealing with a ton of anxiety she said so she kinda didn’t respond for a while.

18. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m just really sad because I miss her. I just feel like I love her more than she cares about me or thinks about me. I feel constantly shut out a lot by people and I always question why I’m not worth thinking about to people.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does she often deal with anxiety? Would you normally see each other more often? I guess the other question is do you wan to see her a lot at the moment? Or do you feel like you need some space just to give yourself to time to recover?

I can sympathise with that feeling but I promise when you find the right person it will be worth the wait.

20. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She does deal with anxiety a lot yeah. I do also but we cope in very different ways. She tends to shut everything out when she’s upset. At first I didn’t want to see her initially because I was upset enough I was worried it would be too hard. Now though I just miss her to the point where I’d be happy to be with her regardless of the circumstances.