1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay discrimination, it's finally happened to me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, May 23, 2023.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disclosure: Will not go into micro details so as to protect others and me.

I strongly believe I am now a victim of gay discrimination, bestowed upon me by a small business. I told a person who owns the business I was gay, that seemed to change everything in how the business owner interacted with me - can I spell "turn on a dime". Up until that moment, my sexuality was not mentioned - there was no need to.

To be fair the business owner may have fallen to inner societal beliefs, past & present, that being gay is bad and that you do not want to talk about it. Being gay is something to be ashamed of. Abhorrent behavior. If this is the case, this is a fair possibility for the business owner is middle aged and thus my harbor "older beliefs" about homosexuality. We had a brief dialog about how I felt homosexuality is not bad and I have nothing to be ashamed about.

Any wave shape or form, the business will not do business with me and has informed me of said fact in writing.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do see what you're saying and what it all means, so I can't give all that a thumb's up.

It must have been a bad experience. There are people out there who still have these beliefs. They don't see it as something that has always been part of the world's big picture and has been around for as long as humans have existed.

I don't know what happened and if you were denied service and all that. You don't have to disclose. I'm just trying to envision this. I have gotten microaggressions in the workplace which pushed me to change employers and, once, from a hygienist who kept pushing about where I was going on vacation and got testy with my answers. It ruined it for me after 2 to 3 years of being with that really nice dentist and where her exchanges with me were always within normal boundaries.

This has nothing to do with sexuality but I believe a medical doctor can terminate the relationship if they don't think it's good to continue. But that's different.

"Turn on a dime" is one of life's ugly realities. It is usually somewhat to very painful. I feel you.

Enzo46 likes this.
  3. Enzo46

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I really feel for you. There are some bigoted ignorant people around. I feel that generally these sort of views are dying in the West and most people now accept that there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. However we do still come across people like the business owner you encountered and we need to stay strong and try and counter their ignorance.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. Where you go on vacation is non of his/her business. Unbelievable.

5. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not so sure that attitudes towards homosexuality are change for the better. It’s seems lately there is a tremendous amount of anti- LGBTQ backlash. This trend is very disconcerting as it indicates we as a society are moving in reverse on acceptance of our homosexuality as a normal and natural expression of sexuality.

Lek likes this.
  6. Ntina21

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a reaction from some people, like they are living in 1900s....I am so sad you faced such a discrimination, the only positive thing is that you wouldn't want to work with this kind of people at first place...

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree there is a backlash but I feel backlash is caused by acceptance of LGBT people across the board and is becoming the norm. It's my belief backlash people feel threatened, thus the backlash.

#7 brainwashed, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023