1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What am I doing wrong? Why don't people like me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lottaotter, May 22, 2023.

1. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today, I tried to talk to the member of staff serving me in the supermarket, but she avoided eye contact and didn't talk. She made proper conversation with the people before and after, though.

At work today, I tried to talk to someone in a different department I hadn't seen before and he just did NOT want to be there.

I received a strongly-worded message on this site telling me how many things I am doing wrong socially and that I need to try and be more interested in other people. I thought I was good ar asking questions of other people, even if they never reciprocate interest.

I have a group of around 5 friends in my home town who I contact a lot, and it isn't always me initiating things either. Most of the time it's them, so I think they like being around me. My parents too.

I mentioned to my housemate about other men especially being quite hostile to me (grumpy, unfriendly, terse with me) and she said I 'give off angry, nervous energy' and 'come across as grumpy sometimes'. When we walk into a pub she will often get polite, friendly service from the guy serving, while he will be stroppy with me even though I'm standing right next to her. What the hell?

These are just some examples, but they all hurt me a lot.

How can I change to be more normal and meet society's expectations? I want people to like me. I always thought I'm a bad person but I didn't know it was this bad.

People just seem to hate me, and I need to know why and how to change

I get anxious still around new people and I try to hide it but they still seem to be able to tell I am a bad person underneath. It's so frustrating because no doubt had I not had such a shitty childhood, I might have been more normal. But I can't change the past now.

#1 lottaotter, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
  2. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know a lot of people will hate me for this but I didn't smile as a child. I simply had nothing to smile about. The main emotion I felt was fear, all day, every day.

I have been practicing smiling as an adult, and I actually enjoy small talk most of the time. But even now if some stranger smiles at me on the street my immediate first instinct is fear. Why is that?

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you talk about my PM, then just know that I didn't intend for it to be strongly worded message. It was just something I hoped is somehow helpful to you. Just take from it, what you feel like is helpful any way, that's all. I didn't mean it to be something that would critizise you in any way. I'm sorry if it came off like that. I try to be more careful with my wordings in the future. My main goal is only to be helpful to you, since I see how much you struggle with it all.

You are already helping yourself though. You're asking feedback from others and trying to strike conversations with people and that is already very good. You can learn a lot from the feedback from others. This is how I raised my self confidence. When others say I'm very friendly, then I wish to live up to that and it motivates me.

I think many of your worries come from being hurt by others, so you don't trust people and from social anxiety.

Therapy is something that can help to just even look into yourself.

None of the changes will happen overnight. It takes consistent work to build trust and lessen the anxiety and become more relaxed around others.

This is a positive thing. You're problably also more relaxed around them.

I'm very chatty and relaxed around my family and 3 friends, but when it comes to university and people there I'm very shy and back in my shell, even though everyone are really nice to me and I think most of it comes from anxiety. I feel tense and worried all the time.

I hope this is helpful and again none of this is to critizise you. You are already doing a lot of good things and eventually there will be progress too.

lottaotter likes this.
  4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that really sucks and I don't understand it either. You are a great guy who is caring and trying to meet people and I feel bad it's not working lately. I'm so glad for your friends and parents back home but of course you want friends nearby too so you're very normal. You're putting yourself out there and others are being rude. People look away from me too and it can feel like they disliked me but who knows what was going on in their mind. Probably nothing about me. I feel so sad for you as a child for not smiling or feeling safe, I'm so sorry you deserved to be happy and loved like anyone. That shit really screws us up! What was going on with your other family, grandparents or someone else to care about you? It's in the past I guess, but still not right and not your fault. Apparently we have to do all "the work" to heal and get better if we want to, if we can conjure up enough energy and will. Even if I'm super confident and happy, doesn't mean others will like me. Do friends back home know anyone near you? One day at a time I guess and sending hugs :hugging:

lottaotter and Rayland like this.
  5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also forgot to say, you're not a bad person underneath or anywhere. You are good and worthy of good things! Feeling fear from someone smiling at you sounds like suspecting they will do you harm or something like that, a suspicious feeling based on past bad experiences. I hope you can think it's their loss if they don't want to chat. What about that gay cafe/shop you mentioned before or the elderly will surely enjoy your kindness. How about volunteering at an animal shelter or helping the needy?

Rayland and lottaotter like this.
  6. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being nervous doesn't make you "a bad person", I don't know why you keep making such harsh judgements of yourself. It just sounds like your problem is that there's a disparity between how you perceive yourself (good, friendly, kind) and how others perceive you ("angry", "nervous", "grumpy").

It's not surprising that other people perceive you inaccurately, given that they're basing their judgement of you on external factors like your facial expression, how much (or how little) you speak, how they imagine you're perceiving them, etc. They can't see past your "angry" expression and into your well-intentioned mind. Most people are not secure enough themselves not to be intimidated by another person's visible "disapproval".

So I think your basic problem is anxiety, perpetuated by fixed false beliefs like "people are generally untrustworthy", "I am unlikeable", and "I don't deserve affection or love" (or even "having an anxiety problem makes me a bad person").

I can't recall to what extent you've tried therapy, especially CBT? Do you ever write down these thoughts and try to neutralise them or provide alternative explanations? I'd imagine your perceptions of social interactions are extremely subjective and often inaccurate. Have you tried to see things more objectively, or even asked a third-party to witness a social interaction so you can compare your impressions of it with theirs? I'd imagine there would often be a huge disparity.

mnguy, Wanderlost and Rayland like this.
  7. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with @Colm that CBT could be really helpful ( I know it's not always easy to get help in different parts of the world though). CBT really helped me with my interactions with people - one excersise I had in CBT was they filmed me talking with another therapist that I hadn't met before and showed me the video - I couldn't believe how nervous and awkward I looked! My body language etc. People felt awkward talking to me because I gave off such a strong impression that I didn't want to be talked to! And I had no idea I was doing it - I was desperate for human interaction but felt everyone was ignoring and avoiding me... Was a lightbulb moment for me!

silverhalo, mnguy and Rayland like this.
  8. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did you learn to not look nervous? What body language things shouldn't I do?

9. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure it's different for everyone but in my case I was very hunched over, kind of turned away, like I was trying to hide from the person. Very tense and hunched - like in a protective pose - and no eye contact. I still find eye contact difficult because I find it hard to know how much is normal!
    But just seeing myself like that I guess brought those unconscious things to my attention so I could remind myself not to do it - in fact it really shocked me because I thought I was hiding my anxiety quite well. I can still remember how "unwell" I looked (this was 15+ years ago!).
    I still find it hard to ask people about themselves (I feel like I'm prying) and it can come off like I don't care or I only talk about myself - I'm still working on that - and as I said I'm still not sure how much eye contact is "normal"! I think it's a matter of trying to feel what is "too little" and what is "too much"...
    Do you have friends you could ask about your mannerisms/body language? If you could explain that you must be unconsciously giving off "vibes" ("angry energy" or whatever) and you'd like some help recognizing it?
    Of course they'd have to be people you trust so it doesn't feel like they're criticizing or attacking you..?

Rayland likes this.
  10. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And as others have said - you're certainly not a "bad person" underneath - you may just have some habits that you've used as safety behaviors - like I would hunch over and almost try to hide because I was scared people would see how bad my anxiety was (and think I'm "crazy" I guess) - like they could read my thoughts - but the behavior I was using to try to hide my anxiety was making me look MUCH more anxious (and even a bit "crazy"!)
    And really, I was giving off the vibe that I didn't want to talk or be noticed by anyone and people were reacting to that - people don't WANT to make other people uncomfortable - so in a sense, my anxiety was scaring people off!
    But maybe you have some behaviors to do with trying to hide the fact that you think (maybe subconsciously) that you are a "bad person" and people are misreading those behaviors - maybe you're defensive because you're trying to hide this "badness" and people take your defensiveness for aggression..?
    I'm not a therapist at all and I don't know you at all so any of this could be totally wrong! I'm just offering suggestions from my experience that may or may not apply to you...

mnguy and Rayland like this.
  11. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks @Nameerf76 I know you were giving examples from your life which aren't necessarily gonna be the same as what I'm doing wrong but I think your last-but-one paragraph about it coming off as defensive and aggressive is definitely me.

My face often looks like I'm frowning or scowling, especially if it's very sunny.

Having a shaved head and a big beard does nothing to help ingratiate me to people. They either think I'm a neo-Nazi (wtf??) and intimidating or a 'hipster' which just annoys some people I guess (mostly older men).

I think I do it subconsciously because I have always had lots of bullies and no one to stick up for me, so I had to stick up for myself. I decided at one point that I would never let anyone walk over me again.

I *think* I'm good at asking people about themselves, but I often feel sad because people rarely ask about ME. Or once I start speaking, they use it as a springboard to talk about themselves all over again. People have said I'm a good listener, but I think I'm getting walked over. My friends always complain to me and come for advice but don't ask how I'm doing much.

In short, I think I used to come off as anxious and weird and timid but now maybe I am the other way and seem unapproachable and aggressive.

12. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's good though that you're trying to work on it - a lot of people have problems and go through life totally oblivious of them!
    I think the main thing is to try to be kind and compassionate to yourSELF - don't beat yourself up about things that are not your fault - you've mentioned you had a difficult childhood (as did I!) - these things are often the armour that we put on to survive our childhoods - and sometimes they come across wrong or are are misinterpreted by others now we're adults.
    It's extremely hard to unlearn those habits - it takes lots of effort and practice - which is mainly what CBT is about - trying to train yourself out of those habits and the thought patterns behind them...
    And also it's important to acknowledge how far you've come and congratulate yourself on the little victories along the way! I didn't used to be able to answer the phone at all but now I almost always can - and I'm proud of that! I still have the instinct to avoid it and it still makes me nervous when it rings but now I can answer it - just an example of a "little victory" that's quite big for me!
    And what you said about bullies was true for me too - I think I made myself harder and less "sensitive" and I think I went TOO far with that for a while...

13. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is interesting stuff and I relate to it. Good reminders about the unhelpful thoughts that the brain can get stuck in. Lots of old repetitive thoughts and automatic negative thoughts come up and they are tiring.

14. Milquetoast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ask your five friends what they like and don't like about you and INSIST they be honest. If there is a "don't like" pattern work on that, with help if necessary. If a "don't like" is rare, ignore it or put on a "things to do later" list. The "like" list you get from your friends, play them up; emphasize those attributes with new connections. If your friends are astute and empathetic perhaps you can role play with them.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it’s super hard when you are desperate or looking for that interaction with people it can put a lot of pressure on those interactions and basically unless they are perfect you end up feeling like you have failed which probably isn’t the case. People who are super sociable and outgoing also have awkward interactions and moments it’s just they don’t bother them in the same way they just shrug them off and move forward.

mnguy, Nameerf76 and Rayland like this.
  16. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Me too, Lottaotter! The abiding emotion of my childhood was fear - fear of the future, fear of my parents dying, fear of our house burning down, fear of robots and computers taking over. You name it, I was afraid of it.

And there aren't many photos of me smiling, not showing my teeth anyway. My late partner always used to take loads of photos and she's smiling in most of them whilst I'm pulling ironic 'wacky' faces, or trying to look cool.

That's really good. They say that most people have a 'core' of around five solid friends, so if that's the case you're very normal!

Having seen your avatar pic recently I can categorically state you do not look like a neo Nazi! I hate to use the word again, but you look kinda normal. So many blokes have beards these days that it's gone way beyond something that's merely the preserve of hipsters, real ale enthusiasts and nutcases.

Lottaotter, I wish I could magic up some inner confidence for you! Others have recommended therapy and I think you need something beyond sticking plaster solutions like CBT. Given what you've written before on EC about childhood trauma, I think you may need to dig a little deeper. Whatever you choose to do, remember that we all think you're brilliant. Really. Just being yourself is enough and always will be.

Sending you hugs,
    Beth x

mnguy, Rayland and TinyWerewolf like this.
  17. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's fair to call CBT a sticking plaster solution! I agree though you need different therapies for serious trauma etc.! But CBT is perfect for changing habits or the way you interact with people - or how you think about those interactions...
    I've had a lot of different types of therapy for anxiety, depression and PTSD and they all help with different areas...
    Also I've found that you often have to deal with the different aspects separately - in my case my anxiety and panic disorders were so severe that I couldn't even notice or concentrate on my childhood trauma and PTSD stuff! But the CBT enabled me to calm down enough to start focusing on the deeper stuff...
    But we've all got different layers of stuff and a good psychologist should be able to come up with a plan for all those things...

mnguy likes this.
  18. lottaotter

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone.

I have made an appointment to see the therapist I was seeing before.

I am notorious for leaving therapy early, because I feel like I'm inconveniencing the therapist (even though I'm paying them) This last therapist was excellent.

Since then a lot of different issues have come up. I've remembered so much from childhood, and more pieces are starting to fit together.

silverhalo likes this.
  19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How do we get to be this way too? Sounds nice to not care about embarrassing stuff and they probably don't think about what happened again within moments, and just move on. I can remember things that happened long ago and still feel the burning shame and embarrassment while those lucky people never gave their situations a second thought lol, must be nice!

20. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah I agree it must be. The thing is though I think all of these things have an opposite negative and so it isn’t always that we want to be the complete opposite but maybe somewhere more in the middle. Not sure I’m explaining myself very well but here goes. I am generally quite a warm person. I don’t feel the cold too easily and don’t like being super hot or do so well in the heat. I used to work with someone who loved the heat but didn’t like the cold and used to get cold easily. He said to me one day ‘I wish I was more like you and didn’t feel the cold’. I said to him yes but then in the summer when it’s hot you would probably not like it the way you do now. You would probably be like me and overheat, you can’t have the good bits of everything.
    In regards to personality traits we over sensitive, shy or slightly awkward people (or however you want to describe it) feel each word and look and remember it forever but I also sometimes think that an advantage of that is noticing other peoples expressions or tone. Or being more insightful of others feeling or situations and these are not things you necessarily want to throw away. We all just need to find balance. That is for us to become more confident (which I’m always working on) but never forget where we have come from.

mnguy likes this.