1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very much in denial

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ElleInParadise, Apr 29, 2023.

1. ElleInParadise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, so I guess I’ll just be blunt being new here and all. I think I’m a lesbian, but I really don’t want to be. That probably sounds stupid or insane but I just don’t want to be a lesbian. I want to be straight so bad but I have absolutely no attraction to men.

I have no clue what to do, nobody in my life knows I’m exclusively into girls. It doesn’t help that I’m not at all masc, they expect me to like guys. Just ranting, thanks for reading I guess.

74andHome and AnxiousReader like this.
  2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello ElleInParadise! Welcome to EC!

We frequently worry about what others may think about us, but, as much as this sounds weird, sexuality is about you and yourself, only. It doesn't really matter what others think.

May I ask you why you say you don't want to be lesbian? How do you feel about that?

74andHome, Wanderlost and BiGemini87 like this.
  3. ElleInParadise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. I just don’t like the feelings I have about women I guess, it feels like I’m not supposed to feel this way. I guess part of it is embarrassment, some of it shame. I feel like I’m not normal. I really want to make everyone in my life proud of me by meeting their expectations, including being straight.

I’ve taken every online Kinsey test, I’ve read all the advice, I’ve tried anything and everything to attempt to prove I’m not a lesbian and I’ve failed every time. I still refuse to see myself that way, and honestly, I’m hoping and praying I can change somehow. I know everyone says that never happens though.

What’s frustrating is that I’m not even a little straight, not even a smidge of bi. It’s like I’ve fallen *so* far from the goal that I’ve utterly failed.

AnxiousReader likes this.
  4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only you can analyze your feelings and reach a conclusion about your own sexuality, but it is clear to me that you are still in denial about it.

Try to imagine yourself with another women in the future. Without other people talking to you or judging you about it. How do you feel if you let your mind wander in that thought? What would you do if nobody could judge you?

As you said yourself, no one can change their orientation, because that who we are. And that's okay. We aren't "broken" or "wrong". Everyone is who they are, and that's fine.

There are some old resources in our website that might help you:

https://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out/stages-of-coming-out.php

https://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out/parentfamily-stages-of-grief.php

74andHome, Wanderlost and BiGemini87 like this.
  5. ElleInParadise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really want to be with a woman, I fantasize about women constantly. I want to be loved, be a wife to a woman, all the usual straight people stuff but lesbian. But it sounds ridiculous to me, and I’m still ashamed.

I guess you’re right, I’m in denial. Is that so bad for me though? Maybe it’s better this way. I don’t think it’s wrong necessarily.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As humans, we all desire to be loved. Is it ridiculous just because you want something that is different from what we consider to be the "standard"? Isn't that what would make you happy?

Those are questions I can't answer for you. However, if you came here, it seems to me you are struggling with these thoughts and, thus, you are seeking some freedom. Making peace with who you are is something that all of us, straight or LGBT+, seek to have some peace of mind.

Again, only you can think about your own thoughts and happiness and reach a conclusion. But, if you are questioning and asking those questions, then this is a pretty strong sign that accepting your own answers could be positive to you.

Bicchi, 74andHome and BiGemini87 like this.
  7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not trying to sound mean you dont get to choose to be Gay or Bi you either you are or aren't.

74andHome likes this.
  8. ElleInParadise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It feels pretty ridiculous. No women I know feel this way about women, I feel silly, and I know my family and friends don’t like homosexuals. I just want everything to be different, to be normal. I will consider not being in denial about it, which will probably help me stop trying to square the circle of telling myself I’m straight while only ever thinking about women.

9. ElleInParadise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get it, but that doesn’t mean I don’t hate myself or wish everything was different.

10. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that part I used to feel like being Bi was wrong especially when I hit 13/14

74andHome likes this.
  11. ElleInParadise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wish I were bi, because then I could at least try to be straight. I’m not even a little bi, not even barely. I’m so frustrated.

also, I’d reply to your comment on my profile but I have no idea how lol, sorry

12. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may enter their profile by clicking on their username and then leaving a comment there to reply. :slight_smile:

As for being bi, and I speak from experience, I can't "choose" to be straight. I'm not. Sure, I can be with a woman (I'm a man), but I still like guys. That's who I am. Like lesbians/gays who try to force themselves to be straight, sure, you can be in a relationship you don't want to just to please others, but that doesn't change who you are. And by forcing yourself to be something you aren't, you'll end up being unhappy.

The fact that your family and friends aren't accepting explains a lot about how you are feeling. When we grow up in an environment where being LGBT+ is seen as wrong, "weird" and "a choice", we tend to internalize those thoughts even if we feel differently.

Do you think you would feel better about accepting your orientation if you were in an accepting environment?

74andHome and BiGemini87 like this.
  13. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello @ElleInParadise, and welcome to EC!

I'm so sorry you're struggling with this. @Chiroptera has made some excellent points, so all I can do is add on to his statements: even bisexual people struggle, and while we choose partners, we don't choose sides--we are who (and what) we are, and there's nothing we can do to change that (no matter how much we may try to convince ourselves otherwise). I don't say this to negate your own struggles--the struggles of gay/lesbian people are every bit as difficult, and every sexual orientation has its unique set of obstacles to overcome. I say these things though, to give perspective, because should a bi person struggling with their own issues see your statement, they may feel they have no room or place to discuss their own problems.

It's okay, though. I know you didn't mean anything by it, and I know you're come from a place of fear, self-loathing, and desperation.

I think the environment you've grown up on has had a large, negative impact on how you view yourself and your attractions: I'd bet my life savings on this fact if I had to, because everything you've expressed--the shame, embarrassment, wishing you could live up to others' expectations--all ring true of those who grow up in intolerant homes/towns/etc. Under those circumstances, it's understandable if you struggle to find self-acceptance; it's something, unfortunately, you just can't force, either. It's something that has to come with time and patience, with a deeper and more profound understanding of yourself (and the world around you).

But the good news is, you've come to the right place to discuss your feelings. No one here will judge you for being attracted to women. The more you see it normalized around you--even if only online--the easier it will be to overcome these negative feelings.

14. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Elle,

You might want to consider doing some research on the term "Compulsive heterosexuality" or "comp het." Many people suffer from this who are raised a certain way, and grow up in areas where the culture is not open to same sex relationships. I've heard of people who fight like hell with themselves over not wanting to be gay. I won't lie, it can be a lonely place, but you are here, and you will only received love, support and understanding in this place.

Btw, I am very strange and weird but it has nothing to do with liking girls, which is probably one of the most normal thing about me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, I don't think you can reply to anyone who leaves a message on your profile until you reach 10 post count. You need one more to do so.

15. Rainbow64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what you're going through. I didn't want to be gay, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't be straight. Eventually I came to a place of accepting myself and loving myself for who I am. I am gay and that is a beautiful thing that I am no longer ashamed of. It took me some time to get there, but it was the best thing I ever did for myself. There is only one you, and you are perfect just the way you are as a beautiful, bad ass lesbian. Focus on loving and accepting yourself who you are and not on what you think you should be based on other people

16. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC, I totally understand where you are coming from. I come from a liberal accepting family and when I realised I was gay I still didn’t want to be. It is possible to move past how you are feeling, I am not going to say it will be easy but it will be better and easier in the long run than living a lie. I’m sure EC can help you it did me.

17. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello, welcome to EC. I know this feeling, I used to think exactly like you (still kind of do). I really hope you will find the help you need and that you will be capable to accept yourself.

18. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    EllenInParadise welcome to EC! Sounds like you got here at the right time. It’s not at all strange to go to through the dysphoria you’re experiencing. Personally I was dysphoric for decades but had that conflict buried deep inside my consciousness (except when I got drunk and had sex with guys). A few months ago my consciousness said, “Time’s up Bub! You can’t hide anymore.” stick around and keep asking the questions and exploring the site. You have definitely come to the right place. We’re here for you.

19. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there! First of all, congrats for joining us all here. That’s a courageous step. You should be proud. Secondly, acceptance unfortunately I know from experience is something that isn’t immediate. It can be hard especially if we have thought of ourselves for an extended period of time as one thing to change how we (and others see us). I know it’s probably not easy to believe this now, but there’s nothing wrong with you and you have nothing to feel ashamed of. You are perfect the way you are and should never change. If women are who you want pretending you want to be with men when you don’t will only make you miserable. You deserve happiness and to feel fulfilled in your relationship.

20. xfemmelesbian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

I found myself in a similar situation when I realised I only like women too. I’m not masc at all either and that’s okay! There is no one way for lesbians to look. Have you heard of something called ‘compulsory heterosexuality’? A lot of lesbians experience it before embracing their identity, including myself. But I promise it gets easier! I am extremely out and proud now and nobody in my life cares and i’m sure people in your life will probably be the same. The world is much more open to LGBTQ+ people now and I want to reassure that there is absolutely nothing wrong with not being attracted to men. You deserve to be your true self and live a happy life.

#20 xfemmelesbian, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Ntina21 likes this.