1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internalized Homophobia is so Awful

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by AnxiousReader, Apr 21, 2023.

1. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this is a term that gets thrown around a lot but it’s a very real reality for me and I’m sure a lot of other people as well unfortunately. I’m convinced it along with internalized misogyny to boot are what allowed me to go my entire teenage years completely unaware that I was capable of being attracted to women. It really upsets me how powerful a force it can be in society that we’re taught that boys like girls and girls like boys and that’s it, no other options.
    Like a lot of other people I was basically taught that if you’re attracted to the same sex you know you are right away and if you don’t then you must be straight even though this is far from reality. As someone for whom that was completely untrue I definitely understand how you can go your entire life and have no idea that you have any same sex attractions in large part because of this myth. Especially if you have any sense of teenage body dysmorphia like I did that further compounds things. (How can you recognize attraction to the same sex if you’re constantly picking apart and hating your own body and anyone who has a body like yours?)
    I really feel sad that I lost my teenage years essentially and never got to explore my queerness then. I figured it out at 21 officially but even now at 26, I still feel I can’t enjoy fully being comfortable in my identity. I’ve never dated, (not by choice, it’s just never worked out with anyone I’ve been interested in) and my lack of experience only contributes to my discomfort about myself. I *really want* to be with a woman and crave that kind of relationship so much but with all my mental baggage I’m terrified. Thinking about being with a woman fills me with joy but other times I feel literally nauseous and anxious about being with a woman or doing anything with her even though I have loved women before who didn’t return my feelings. I hate that I feel this way and I’m scared it’ll ruin any relationships I have. All I want is to be able to be with a woman who loves me as much as I love her. Fuck society and the damage it causes.

BiGemini87 and mnguy like this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hugs. I can relate. I've been battling with internalized homophobia and also transphobia and both were hellish to handle, but the good news is that it can be handled. The more people learn about it and have interactions with the topic the more tolerable people become. This is how I handled it. I learned more. Two years ago I knew nothing about the community and was really uncomfortable when I saw same sex couples, but I've noticed that it's not the case anymore.

BiGemini87, quebec and AnxiousReader like this.
  3. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for responding. It’s so weird because I can go through periods where I’m find and feel totally okay about myself and my attractions and other times like today and yesterday where I’m incredibly scared. I’m so worried this will happen if I finally get a gf and that I won’t enjoy being with her physically.

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome. I have felt this too, but I figured I will overcome that hurdle once I get there and actually start a relationship with a woman. I feel like if two people love each other, then such hurdles can be overcomed. It does takes work though, like any relationship does.

AnxiousReader likes this.
  5. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope the same goes for me. Because honestly even though I’m bisexual, I really like women so much more even though I didn’t know I liked them until much more recently. The idea of being with a man makes me feel sad and that’s why I’m always worried that maybe I’m actually straight after all because then I wouldn’t get to be with a woman.

6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I really wish to experience it too. The thoughts and fear around sexuality can cause so much confusion and I was so overwhelmed with it all in the beginning, because I've been feeling scared of my family's reaction, if I say that I like women. I've been liking mostly men, but the attraction has been leaning towards women now.

Wanderlost likes this.
  7. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think my family would be fine with it. Thankfully they’re fairly accepting of most things. Which somehow makes it worse because I know so many people have it worse so I don’t know why if my family is accepting that I struggle so much. I mean, I’ve always had an anxiety disorder so that’s nothing new but I hate that it has impacted mu sexuality so much.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't compare yourself to others. We're all individuals, with our own worries. Even, if others are off more worse, then it don't mean we're not struggling inside. Even with accepting families people struggle. I'm very happy that you do have accepting family though. Having this support makes a world of difference.

Anxiety sucks. This all struggle with gender and sexuality is what gave me anxiety, but medication has helped a little bit with it. I didn't always have it.

9. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. That’s very kind. I hope that things improve for you as well. I know anxiety is terrible. :slight_frown:

Rayland likes this.
  10. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible that when you are in a relationship, your focus will be more on her, and not so much yourself. You're fears are about how you feel and what you will and will not be able to do in that relationship. I think Rayland hit on something important when he mentioned two people who love each other. Trust that your partner will give you the loving support that your fearful mind currently lacks. *hugs*

BiGemini87, AnxiousReader and Rayland like this.
  11. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much. Honestly your words made me tear up. It really helped.

Wanderlost likes this.
  12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally get what your saying I wasnt yet and feel like I missed exploring my queerness in my teens too !

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s easy to regret not figuring things out sooner, I certainly spent a while doing that. It’s not easy but eventually I came to the conclusion that regretting it was just wasting more time and that actually I figured things out when the time was right. It is easy to look at stuff and assume that if you had come out earlier or figured things out earlier that everything would be better but that isn’t a given. Internalised homophobia is horrible and so you have my sympathies but it is something you can overcome. Find the right girl and I don’t see any reason you can’t have a successful relationship even with your baggage.

14. dch

dch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm also struggling to overcome internalized homophobia and the guilt and shame that comes with it. I also once believed that I would know right away if I was attracted to someone of the same sex or not, and since it wasn't so obvious in my younger years, I always assumed I was straight. But I'm realizing recently that shame prevented the awareness that I was attracted to men to even enter my conscious mind. The human brain certainly is a fascinating and frustrating thing.

I can absolutely relate to this. I have days where I would jump at the chance to be with a man, and then there are days when the thought of it repulses and/or scares me. I'm still working to overcome this. It's been a very slow process for me, but progress is being made.

I think it's easy to let ourselves be overwhelmed when we consider all of the unknowns, but it's entirely possible that when you do eventually get a gf, you may find that it feels natural and not at all scary. As someone who also struggles with anxiety, I find most situations that we fear are actually not so bad and are often quite positive when the time comes to finally face those fears. But even if you do struggle with being with a woman initially, the right one will be patient and understanding.

15. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow thank you so much for responding! It’s so validating to hear that someone else feels the way I do. Sometimes compared to people more confident in their queerness I feel so weird and insecure because I’m internally so uncomfortable still and it’s a relief to know that I’m not a complete rarity. I definitely am hoping that by just putting myself out there more I can heal from this.

16. dch

dch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your situation is certainly one that many can relate to. You are definitely not alone. I've only been posting on here semi-regularly for a few months (although I did post a few times a couple of years ago before once again trying to convince myself that I'm straight), but in the short time I've been here, it's been very validating and has helped facilitate the healing process. I think the more people you talk to about this, the more comfortable you will feel. If you don't already have one, I might suggest talking to a counselor as well. It's helped me tremendously.

17. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I definitely agree that I should be seeing a counselor. I am not in a position to do so right now unfortunately but it’s something I def want to try.

18. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AnxiousReader.....I know that you've been sharing messages for a little while now, but I still wanted to give you an "Official Welcome" so here it goes...
    *****Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary!

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When I first joined Empty Closets I was in need of a lot of support and encouragement and I found it here…EC is a safe place. I hope that you'll find good things here too! Folks here will talk to you and share...you don't have to be afraid of asking questions...we're glad to have you! Empty Closets is all about making connections and giving LGBT folks a voice when they otherwise don't have one in their day-to-day lives. In particular you may want to check out the forum that is titled "Sexual Orientation”, there are people there who have dealt with some of the same kind of issues that could be challenging you.

Some info on how to navigate EC:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can always send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

19. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh hon, I can 100% relate. Like you, I struggled (still do) with body dysmorphia, internalized misogyny...the whole kit and caboodle. I had a hard time forming strong friendships with other girls (oftentimes because of their cruelty, which sadly also coloured my perception of those who were nice--but also because I was intimidated by them if I saw them as prettier and...well, you get the idea).

Some days, it's easy: you get lucky enough to feel all the positives and none of the negatives. Other days, the negatives consume you until all you want to do is hide from the world. Most days, I find, fall somewhere in the middle--and as time goes by, more towards the positive side than the negative. But I get it--when those negative days do crop up, it can be absolutely debilitating. The shame, the disgust, the anger with yourself that sometimes gets directed onto other women... It can really get you down.

My advice? Don't force yourself into anything you're not ready for. I know you probably feel like you have a lot to prove (I get it; I didn't come out until just before my 32nd birthday, and I'm turning 36), but you don't. You don't have to prove yourself or your orientation to anyone. You don't have to be in a relationship with one or the other, or anyone at all, to be bisexual--the only metric is that you are attracted to both. It doesn't even matter if you're more drawn to women than men: you are still bi, no matter what anyone says or thinks.

When you find the doubt creeping in, just remember that, repeat those words as often as you need to. I promise, they will eventually stick. :slight_smile:

20. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much for this response. I often feel so isolated by my negative feelings that hearing someone else share that they feel the same is such a relief. And it’s true, I have good days and bad. Today I’m doing much better than yesterday thankfully and I hope it will be a bit before I have another rough patch. I really hate feeling the way I do. Being bi and accepting it is honestly one of the most difficult things in my life I’ve had to come to terms with even though I’m happy that I am. It’s worth it though because sure, I could have never bothered to explore my attractions but then I wouldn’t have the privilege of feeling the positive feelings I have toward women which are so amazing. I do admit I feel jealous of people a few years younger than me a lot, (I’m 26) because I think if I were their age now I’d have prob figured it out in high school rather than at 21, but I can’t change the past so I have to live in the now.

BiGemini87 likes this.