1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Pan to Abro...

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by JayeJJimenez, Feb 20, 2023.

1. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was so sure about my Pansexuality... I really was. But then I discovered a term that really does describe my Sexuality a whole lot better and more accurately than just being Pansexual. Abrosexual. I looked it up and damn it did it freaking hit me like a brick in identifying how I feel when it comes to my Sexuality…It was a gut punch, you know? Like, it made me feel seen and made sense to me. So that's how I will be identifying myself going forward. I am Abrosexual.

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was the same way for me, when I found polysexual term, so I can relate. Pansexual didn't fit me either. Glad you found yourself and being at peace with yourself is the most important thing no matter the label or what anyone else says.

JayeJJimenez likes this.
  3. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something I've wondered about me so many times. I am Pansexual in a general sense, but I'm often feeling like it's a bit more complicated. Not because Pan is to restrictive, it's about the least restrictive orientation possible, which is probably why I default to it, but more because there is some fluidity to how I attract to others depending on things like nuance. A big part of this is lack of experience with dating, and also about how different sexual orientations feel about the act of sex and who they can and cannot enjoy it with. Abrosexuality is actually something compelling to me, and it makes sense in some ways, but I'm just not sure yet.

#3 Wanderlost, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    JayeJJimenez likes this.
  4. JayeJJimenez

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If my posting about it helps someone else out with their situation in any way, then I consider it a big effing win in my book. Try it out if you want...If it does work, woohoo. If it doesn't, that's okay. Keep searching or not. That's just my two cents in..

5. BocciBee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never heard of polysexuality, what's your experience with it if you don't mind me asking?

6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I don't mind. I problably should've explained more from the start.

All of these labels can give others a lot of confusion and many don't like these because of it.

Labels don't matter, but I needed one. I was also very confused, when starting. Only thing I was sure at, that I wasn't straight, so I went through all of these. I thought what even am I.

This term is actually very close to pansexual and pan seemed to fit me at the begginning, but it was just somehow wrong and I still questioned.

When reading the description, that polysexual is someone who feels attraction to all of the different genders just like pan, but there are exeptions and it just described me well, because I hadn't felt attraction to everyone and it also said you can use it, if nothing else fits you, so I started using it and I haven't questioned at all anymore. It's freeing. Many haven't heard of this term at all.

BocciBee likes this.
  7. danna19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's great that you have found a term that resonates with you and more accurately describes your sexuality. It can be a powerful and affirming experience to find language that truly reflects your experiences and feelings.

It's also important to remember that sexuality can be fluid and can change over time, and that's okay. Labels can be helpful in finding community and connection with others, but they don't have to be permanent or limiting. It's okay to evolve and grow in your understanding of your own sexuality.

Congratulations on this new step in your journey of self-discovery and self-acceptance! Remember to be kind and patient with yourself as you explore and embrace your identity.

8. Purple Yoda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How/where do you find out which label best suits you???

9. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might be misunderstanding your question, so sorry if that's the case, but I just searched online for a list of LGBTQIA+ terms/labels. You might have to click about for awhile to find a nice detailed (and very recent) list with good descriptions. You might find some lists too long even, but the best lists are the ones that include variants of the more mainstream labels. I'm not really into labels myself but I do try to educate myself on the subject. Unfortunately, almost all websites that have these glossary of terms will also try to make you read their long articles expressing the authors thoughts on ALL THINGS related.

10. Purple Yoda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you.
    I actually went down the rabbit hole a bit and thought maybe I am an Abroromantic... but it doesn't suit me 100%

Wanderlost likes this.
  11. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The funny thing is that I had just started to feel like I had come up with some concrete ideas about what my orientation actually is, and how to define it, but then Chip (a staffer here) burst my bubble with the hypothesis that romantic feelings are merely deep friendships and cannot be considered as separated from our sexual orientation. I'm currently researching the merits of this idea, and admittedly having a hard time wrapping my brain around something that on the surface sounds like an outdated idea, and yet I do understand the premise enough to keep an open mind about it. It could be that our definitions of "romantic feelings" are so varied that we only add more confusion. Somewhere some smart person has surely come up with the "official definition of romantic feelings," and we should be able to find it and accept it as biblical cannon.

#11 Wanderlost, Apr 6, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  12. Purple Yoda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh... I'm going to disagree with Chip.

I can see myself VERY much in a romantic relationship... kissing, cuddling, sharing a life together... but no penetration!

13. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wonder if the labels really only confuse us. What if we didn’t have or feel like we needed them to ID ourselves. Why can’t being who we are be enough? Labels are what create the separateness that spurs bigotry and fear and false difference. I know it means something to find who you are but is it necessary to have to label it? Maybe we can just live it.

14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe there are two sides of this. On one hand, labels help to unite us under a single banner (LGBT+, for instance), which is needed to fight for our rights. After all, without organization, we would still be considered criminals in many places we have already conquered civil rights and equality.

On the other hand, I agree that there are many labels without any scientific background and real necessity. After all, if we had a different label for each small difference in one's sexuality, we would have a different label for every single person on Earth, since we are all different!

To me, labels are there to describe us in general terms, without too much details. I prefer men, but I still call myself bisexual because I like women as well. I don't feel the need to find a different label to say I prefer men - I say I'm bisexual and, if needed, I describe the details myself.

74andHome, Wanderlost and Rayland like this.
  15. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are certainly more sides to this issue. What if we didn’t use them? What if we decided to be here because we wanted to explore in greater depth who we are and how to live with that. Not sure it would make any real difference. ‘They’ will always create names for people who are different. Just thinking in general. If black people were’t identified as black but just people what difference would it make? I grew up in a redneck word that identified everyone race/color first. Then by something more normal. Sucks…