1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deeply in love with my straight best friend that is also my roommate:/

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by A girl, Mar 22, 2023.

1. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so my living situation is quite interresting at the time. I am 23 years old, going to university and living in a smal flat with two bedrooms. I live in one of them, and my best friend and her boyfriend live in the other. They are so nice people, and I really like living with them and cooking dinner and playing board games and watching movies in the evening. I have known my best friend for 3,5 years (and had a crush on her about the same time), and she has been together with her boyfriend a little more than 2 years. He is a really nice guy, and we have become good friends these last few years. They are so happy together, and I am convinced that they are going to get married and start a family in a few years. Of course I wish them all the best, and I am very happy for them. The only problem is that I'm still in love with my friend. She is amazing and so kind and beautiful and understanding and sweet (the list goes on!). And seeing her with her boyfriend every single day reminds me that she will never be mine. And not only that! It also reminds me that I will most likely never find the same loving relationship as she has with her boyfriend.

I am actually pretty happy in my own company, but seeing them together all the time makes me crave that same intimacy and committment and happiness. I am trying to tell myself that my life will be good too, even though it may not contain the same elements of marriage and kids as their lives. I am telling myself that I will travel the world, be a great teacher, have lots of plants, and fill my spare time with activities that bring me joy. But I can't help thinking that my life will be a lot more lonely than theirs and that I will have no family at all. I know that this doesn't have to be the case and that it is possible to meet a girl that loves me back and wants to start a family with me. However, this seems so unrealistic at the moment.

Sooo, my questions for you guys are:
    Have you experienced something similar? How can I get a more optimistic view on my future life? How can I stop being in love with my best friend? Do you think I should move out? (I don't really know a lot of other people in this city, so these guys are kind of all I have). Or do you have any other thoughts on the subject? I appreciate any replies, really! It would be great just to feel a little less alone. Maybe you can give me some hope for the future?

Thank you so much for reading this! Have a nice day!
    Love from Northern Europe <3

2. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you are both pessimistic and optimistic. On one hand you say you won't have, and then you also seem to understand you can have. I think you're just mentally on shaky ground, and having the two of them in your face every day is not helping matters.

I do think you should move out, asap. I know that will be hard, and maybe your options are limited, but begin to seek out those options and plans and something may appear out of nowhere. It's just not healthy obsessing over a person that you won't ever have, and just as important, currently should not have.

I've never been in love with a close friend, so I can't really comment on what that's like, sorry. I'm sure it must be horrible. However, I can give you my experience having been on the other side of that. Trying to date a girl who was in love with her best friend. To be blunt, it ended, quickly. I wasn't having any of it. I know that sounds harsh but few will want to be in that situation, it just would not be fair to that person, or you. This is why it's very important that you try to gain some separation from your situation and hope that helps you get over her. Also, if you meet someone else you like, and are hopeful it will be something special, don't tell her anything about your feelings for your best friend. You might find that girl who is willing to woe you over to her side, but most will be worried about your best friend and your divided feelings.

The lasting answer is to fall in love with someone else. Other than this, time and distance, and even that might not work until you replace your feelings for her with someone else who has you completely smitten.

At 23 there is every reason to believe that you will find someone else who will flip your world upside down. It can happen shockingly fast and from out of nowhere. I have been there. These negative thoughts about your future love life, marriage, and children are because you're busy making daily comparisons with your roommate and her boyfriend. I am very much like you in that I can stand on my own two feet and be alone, preoccupied with life in general, but there is always that same feeling you have of loneliness and longing that creeps in. It's your unfulfilled piece to an otherwise fulfilling life. So I get it. I think you would be far more optimistic if you began the process of getting out of there, and focused on meeting others who might be opportunities just waiting to happen. You seem like a girl who is generally upbeat and positive, but you feel a bit beaten down. I am so with you on that. Don't give up, you have lots of time. *hugs*

#2 Wanderlost, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    Rayland likes this.
  3. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you a lot for replying.

I think it is nice that you say that I'm young and that everything can happen, and I really appreciate the support!

However, I am not sure I can take your advice on moving out. I don't know how I would explain this to my best friend and her boyfriend, and I really have nowhere else to go. By staying with them I will at least have someone by my side, even though it hurts a bit as well. It is only for two more years anyway. I like to stay optimistic and hope that I can get over her and instead focus on a girl I like in my class who is actually into girls. I have succeeded in this earlier, but my feelings for my best friend always come back even though I'm trying really hard to block out those feelings. Because I know that nothing will ever happen between us, I kinda think that it doesn't count that I like her so much. I don't know if that makes sense. I guess I'm just terrified of loosing her as a friend. I value our friendship more than you can imagine. I am also a very shy and introverted person and have never been in a relationship or even kissed anyone before. It takes a long time for me to trust people enough to build frindehips, and therefore I have to take extra good care of the friendhsips I have. I'm not sure if moving out would help me, even though it i is the right thing to do, objectively speaking

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fully agree with Wanderlost about moving out or keeping your distance, because the more you spend time with your friend, while being in love with them, then the harder it gets and I'm speaking from experience. I wasn't living with him, but I talked to them every day through online chat and realized how much alike we are and him being very supportive of me, also just made me fall so much harder. Sadly he is straight and the relationship would've been doomed from the start anyway, but I still got broken hearted, because he never saw me as anything more than a good friend. After that I started communicating with him less and that helped to get over it, but I'm still good friends with him today and I fully accept it and just wish him to be happy, even if it's not with me.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  5. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel exactly the same about someone else right now. In fact, I was thinking of making a separate thread about it. I think most of my problems right now, emotionally, are caused by me being in love with my friend. An amazing friend of mine from this forum helped me realise what I'm feeling is actually love, and gave me the confidence to call it that. And it's so hard and lonely. I see people I like at work, I have family and other friends I love and value. But something about my crush has gotten me stuck on him. I think about him all the time, I can't get him out of my head, and some days it kills me and some days I feel so lucky to have him in my life at all. But no you are not alone in feeling like this. I honestly can't give you advice right now because I'm struggling with this too, but even if I can't help you I can understand you totally and I hope that in itself helps at least a tiny bit.

6. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What happens in two years? You graduate and move back to your hometown? A lot of unforeseen events can happen in two years. Two years ago I was living in a different country across the world with no idea I'd be where I am right now. If you think you can handle it then handle it. I am not an expert, but as you say and recognize, "objectively speaking," it is the thing that makes the most sense if the top priority is to end your angst. If that isn't the top priority, and just surviving with close friends nearby is, then staying there might be best. I think though, that the most important thing for you is to not ever, ever, ever, give up hope that you can have the life you dream of having.

And group hug for all those who have had to live with this kind of situation.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  7. A girl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is nice to her that you are still good friends! That gives me hope:slight_smile:

That's exactly how I feel about my friend! Thank you for making me feel less alone!

Thanks a lot for saying this! I am trying to not give up although it may feel hopeless at some times.

Thanks for all of your replies! I am sorry that it has taken me a while to write back. I guess I've been avoiding to check this thread because I feared that all of you would tell me to move out, but luckily that was not the case. Things have been a bit different with my best friend these last weeks, and I haven't seen her so much. I'm starting to think that maybe my romantic feelings for her have transformed into just really strong friendship feelings, but it is still a bit early to say. A few days ago, i told her about a girl in my class that I really like and maaay be having a crush on, and it felt god to sharing this with her. She got so excited for me, and encouraged me to reach out to this girl in my class. I think I will try to do that after the Easter holidays, so I can focus on somebody else for a while.

If everything goes the way I hope it will, I will keep loving by best friend in a totally platonic way, (like I've actually managed to do these few weeks, and it feels amazing to not be longing to be with her in a romantic way), and I will keep living with her and her boyfriend, and we will stay friends forever, even though they will go on with their "normal family life" after college, and I will most likely be alone and live far away from them by then. I am trying to not think too much about the future, because it is so overwhelming and scaring, and instead I am trying to live in the moment and be happy when I can. I think that everything will work out fine eventually, but stressing about the future doesn't help.

Thank you all for your kind replies and for making me feel less alone <3 I'm sorry that I am not taking your advices on moving out. It just doesn't feel right given the situation. It is hard to explain, but I have to follow my heart, and I think that moving out will cause more harm than good. At least for now. Maybe I will reconsider it if the situation changes.

Thanks a lot for reading this! It means so much to me to know that I'm not alone<3
    Have a good weekend!

Wanderlost likes this.
  8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad you got some hope and support that you're not alone and seems like you've decided what feels right to do in your current situation and things may always change in the future.

With advice I would say take always what feels right to do in your unique situation. Not all the advice you get might not be always the best for you. It's important to filter out what you can apply and what would actually work, so no need to apologize about not taking the advice.

Wanderlost likes this.