1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking up . . . and collecting personal belongings

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by GazesToClouds, Mar 8, 2023.

1. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well howdy my fabulous guys, gals and non binary pals. So quick TL:grin:R im in the middle of a wonderfully awkward breakup with my partner. Neither of us did anything wrong, no cheating or anything like that, so far its not particularly hostile and im trying to keep it as civil and adult as possible. So as the title eludes, i have stuff at his place i need to get. I want almost everything that belongs to me from there (minus some furniture stuff because i both dont have space at home and i think its a nice gesture to let him keep it) but i do however want my stuff which includes but isnt limited to, PS5, nintendo switch, all of my dresses and fem clothes, shoes, scooter, plushies and assorted nerdy shit like dice, cards etc etc. Now he works 5 days a week monday to driday and usually gets home at 3-330. Now ive sent him a message asking him to let me know a time when i can come get my stuff which works for him, so i can work it around my work schedule (i work casually so my shifts are a bit all over the place), he said not today because he just got home and had been out all weekend. Which was fine, but i still want my stuff and he has since not replied to me. Its been 4 days of silence now. What do i do, i want to be civilised and work around him and not intrude but also, i want my stuff and im getting sick of waiting on him to reply to me. Do i try and be civil again or just say "Im coming over on X day at X time to get my stuff, please have it ready, or at least let me in and ill do it all myself". any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated <3 <3

P.s. Other than this debacle im doing quite well, my Dr has given me the green light to start HRT in a fortnight which is exciting (i identify as NB but due to medical conditions i need either T or E and i decided id rather be fem than masc) so thats pretty exciting

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey i can see why that’s a bit awkward. I think I’d give him one more chance to give you a date and time, so message once more and just say hey when is convenient to pick up my stuff and then if that isn’t successful then like you say I’d just give him a time. Do you have a key to the property?

3. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Firstly, if I can say congrats on starting HRT, think its a huge milestone. It is exciting and can just imagine how you feel.

What would be key is communicating the importance of you getting your stuff back and how you would appreciate assistance and accommodation for the process. Breaking up can be stressful on both parties, but it is a benefit that you are both trying to keep it civil. Don't give up on good communication as it can even lead to having a good friend later in life.

A suggestion of making a date and time and giving one or two alternates to them would put the conversation in such a place where there can be no dispute that its going to happen and that it is inevitable, it just means at what point in time. If possible, and I know it may be difficult on your side with work and stuff, but maybe schedule it at odd times, when excuses is difficult to come by..

Hope you make progress.. and keep us posted.

GazesToClouds likes this.
  4. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No key, and I don't think I could bring myself to invade his personal space like that, it's quite a important thing to him and I still respect him and his needs, even if I can't be romantically involved with him any more. Really all I need is his cooperation, but that seems to be difficult thus far.

I think ill have to try this approach, something unavoidable. thanks for the well wishes too <3

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you have more luck. I wasn’t really suggesting you just go in and get your stuff. I was asking about a key as I was interested in the balance of power in the situation and as you don’t have a key he holds all the power. Hopefully if you suggest a couple of times he will get on board and be cooperative.

6. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I sent him a message yesterday and he said that he has already started packing my stuff and will drop over a box or two tomorrow. I appreciate his proactivity but it also makes me nervous about what he is *actually* packing and what he is leaving out. Will keep everyone updated. Very anxious about it all but im trying to be positive and give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is doing the right thing, even if my anxiety is doing me dirty.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fingers crossed he is being honest and thorough although I totally get your anxiety

8. GazesToClouds

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    UPDATE:
    He did in fact come over today, and he brought quite alot of my things, there were some he missed but he admitted that it was because his car was full (and it was) and he said hed bring it over next weekend. ps5 and switch, clothes and shoes and most of my nerdy shit accounted for. Plushies too, theyre here now aswell. Only things missing were my lego plants and my scooter and some miscellaneous bits, but the bulk of it was all delivered today and im so very grateful. We also had a chat and finally put the spoken words out there that romantically our relationship is over, but i believe there will be a possibility of friendship after some time has passed, so no burnt bridges. We had some final hugs and shook hands. So all in all i dont think it could have gone better (besides the rain, it was absolutely pouring down). Feeling alot less anxious and stressed now that its over (the stressful part) now we can move forward and heal and perhaps in time, kindle a friendship. Thank you all for your kind words of suppport <3

9. B1lat3ral

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so glad all worked out. Gaining a friend will be a plus, especially one that gets you, if I can say it in that way. You are right about one thing though, sometimes it just needs some time...

GazesToClouds likes this.