1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any facts that are so useful everyone should know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EIixir, Nov 28, 2022.

1. EIixir

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For starters, here's a few.
    Removing hiccups: Now quick science lesson. Hiccups are caused by the spasming of the phenic nerve in your belly which then makes the diaphragm go weird. Sugar gets rid of hiccups. It calms down the phenic nerve, hence stopping the hiccups. Now, you have to place the sugar on your tongue, for a long time (make sure to suck it) to ensure it works. Oh, also make sure to wait a bit: if you've only just got hiccups and you try this it won't work.

TW: mentions of blood.
    Removing blood from clothing: This is a darker topic but is a fact everyone should know. NEVER wash of blood immediately with warm water. Doing this means it will bond to the fabric and become a stain. The best way to get blood off is to wash it with COLD water and vanish when its roughly *fresh*. Then once the most of it is off you can put it in the washing machine.

Hope this helped :slight_smile:

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    P.A.S.S.
    Pull the pin
    Aim at the thing burning, not the flames
    Squeeze the handle
    Sweep back and forth

Its the acronym for how to use a fire extinguisher. Everyone should have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen and in their car and they should know how to use it.

Don't take criticism from someone you would not take advice from.

3. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for this. I lost track how many times I've looked at a fire extinguisher and wondered, would I know how to use that in an emergency ? (the answer is always "no", but I never bother to do enlighten myself...)

I'm the one who would have aimed at the flames instead of the thing burning...

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Having had to use them a couple times, I am a huge supporter of everyone learning how to use them.

5. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "3 2 1".
    This is an actual thing IT professionals do.

If you have IMPORTANT FILES THAT YOU CAN'T LOSE, save them:
    1. in 3 different places
    2. on 2 different types of media
    3. 1 copy being at a remote place
    for example, If I have an important medical document that won't be reissued :
    • a copy on my computer
    • a copy on a flash drive or on my phone
    • a copy at a trusted cloud storage provider or on a trusted relatives computer or an encrypted hard drive at your mum's place if you don't trust nobody (which is good). The further away the better.
    It's really probable that you could lose access to two copies, be it because of a malfunction, because of a natural disaster or because of a provider not doing their job.
    1. Is a failsafe, it's too easy to lose two copies at once. It may never happen to you, but it's very plausible.
    2. There could be a point at which you lose access to a media type. Be it obsolescence, discontinuation of service, a bad firmware update or whatever.
    3. Natural disasters can happen (flood, tornado, fire...), or even war. Having a copy at a remote place means that they're safe from geographical hazards.

Saving them at a cloud provider assuming they'll do all three is:
    1. Putting a lot of trust in them, you better read the fine lines in your contract
    2. Creating a single point of failure, the day you lose access to your account, you're done.

It's important to understand that IT is not magic but just electricity and magnets on real hardware. If you have important papers, scan them and save them accordingly.

#5 Aeolia, Jan 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023