1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Banning LGBT books

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jakebusman, Oct 10, 2022.

1. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why are so many librarys banning and removing LGBT books ?

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bc we're such disgusting monsters that children, or anyone decent for that matter, mustn't be allowed to know that we exist.

Of course we understand that's false and we want to spread the good word so others don't suffer alone. Enough outspoken people do believe the lies about us and they are asking for the bans. In the US these folks are going after schools in many ways, it's very disturbing and I hope none of their kids are LGBTQ.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/or...-rise-us-book-banning-report-says-2022-09-19/

Related: https://www.npr.org/2022/09/26/1124...-became-a-frontline-in-the-battle-against-crt

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/06/1116...s-anti-critical-race-theory-still-looms-large

Also emotional neglect and emotional immaturity by adults in power who don't want to admit they have such issues or want to improve. In their minds everyone should conform to tough, straight, white, christian, cis gender and it's good to shame others into conformity or if they're too weak, suicide. Apparently now electric vehicles are not masculine to these folks, they need help but will never seek it.

#2 mnguy, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  3. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please understand that it's because the Right Wing Political Parties want this to happen, not the Library's themselves. Library's are supposed to be Neutral Ground, but unfortunately aren't immune to getting caught in Political Crapstorms as you're currently seeing now.

Many Librarians agree that it's a scary place right now for this genre of books, as many Library's and City Council's are slowly getting infested with Alt-right members in their Committee's and Board's where such decisions are made (and they aren't made lightly mind you).

The ALA (American Library Association) has a decree of sorts that basically says Books (and other Reading Material) shouldn't be Banned and that all Books (and other Reading Material) should be available to all, however their word is not Law unfortunately.

#3 Isadoorian, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  4. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So are the books being "banned" or just removed from School libraries?

5. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's both; When they get banned they get removed

6. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I g
    I guess I see the word "Banned" as no longer allowed anywhere, like banned by a Government entity. I don't see the book as "banned" if it's simply been removed from a school library because it was deemed as not as age appropriate. I don't like infringements on the 1st amendment in any form but I also don't like exaggerations. When "banned" books is being stated everywhere a lot of people look at it like the books is now "illegal" or something. That's just not the case. It's just been pulled from a school library is all.

The books are still fully available to be read elsewhere, correct? Meaning they are only banned from school libraries. Big difference from what is implied constantly.

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess if you want to be super technical about it, but "book ban" seems to be the common usage by those asking for it and opposing it and we understand what it means. Not all students have access to elsewhere and shouldn't have to when that's what school libraries are for, students to easily access information for fun and study.

These campaigns send the message to the people the books are meant to help, that we're not worthy, we're less than, we're evil and we should be banned. It sends that message to non queer people too which perpetuates the fear of us.

They don't want books for any age in schools that show LGBTQ people in a positive way. Some books are about racial justice that these folks are also against. It goes beyond school libraries too and is pervasive.

If they had their way, the books and ideas wouldn't be allowed anywhere in the country including the internet. They admire Russia for their authoritarian, anti-LGBTQ policies and for supporting strict, regressive christianity. In the US it's the maga party and adherents who keep fighting to erase us and are behind all the regression in the articles above.

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can ban/remove all the LGBT books but it won't stop LGBT people existing !

10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true, but do they want to ban books/information about all the straight and cis people who exist around us all? It's only us and other minorities. Why is that? What is so horrible about us we must not be known? Here's another example and the name of the bill tell you what they think about us. Stop the Sexualization of Children Act
    https://www.npr.org/2022/10/21/1130297123/national-dont-say-gay-stop-children-sexualization-bill

11. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No
    Nobody is trying to sexulize kids !

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course not, but that's what their base and the gop politicians think. That's what they say about us on Fox and right there in the proposed legislation. It's all part of propaganda against us. We are always their target. They do it so that when Dems don't support it they can say, "see, Dems/gays/trans want to sexualize your kids." Or am I reading this all wrong?

#12 mnguy, Oct 21, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  13. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thats how I read it

14. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's the same as the "Don't Say Gay" bill, they don't want LGBTQ youth to be "indoctrinated" when they're actually being showed that it's okay to be gay, bi, trans, ace, or etc. Rowan Ellis made a whole video talking about how LGBTQ books are being banned relentlessly:
    People literally have to fight for their books (which take lots of time, sometimes YEARS) not to get banned from even being looked at.

16. Gabriele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As someone who lives in a very conservative(and Catholic) country I can say that they ban them because they fear change and therefore try to stop it. They don't understand that so they don't remove the problem. And no matter how much you pretend LGBTQ doesn't exist, because it can't change all those kids who don't see themselves as straight or cisgender

17. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They fear what they dont understand

18. Gigi K

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think they are just being forced to do so, tbh. To a librarian, every book is a work of art. I don't think they are happy being forced to get rid of them. That's just my opinion though, dk what other's think!

19. Isadoorian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You'd be correct, in a sense.

No librarian is happy that this stuff's happening. A lot of them are becoming afraid because Right-Wingers are invading places where these things (voting on what books should be kept and discarded, etc. etc.) happens. It's getting so bad it's starting to lead to burn out in some areas.

And it's not just the LGBTQIA2S+ Genre of books being targeted either (which I meant to add in my initial comment above), it's also things surrounding Race, Anti-Racism and other things that may be associated with the Liberal side of politics.

20. Gigi K

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah no, I get it.

I work part-time at a library and the books are my whole world. They recently started banning some, and i was quite disappointed to find that some LGBTQ+ books were banned, along with some books contesting the existence of God and Heaven and Hell and stuff.

It's a very disappointing issue to watch.