1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a Social Life?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bsg75apollo, Nov 6, 2022.

1. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much of a social life, but I am hoping to change that. I've tried to find groups on a website that specializes in listing groups in your area. (I know I can't say the actual site), but haven't had much. I did find a group through a search. It is an LGBT group and they are having a get together at a bar in the area on Friday. I am debating on whether or not togo. I am a huge introvert and homebody so the thought of doing it terrifies me. But, I also don't want to spend the rest of my Friday's sitting on the couch watching HGTV with my dogs. Has anyone had any experiences with this type of thing? Any other suggestions for finding a social life?

Tightrope likes this.
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're this close to doing it, I bet you can go for 30 mins or longer! Hope you find more events to go to, art and theater stuff probably has a higher % of guys into guys than average. Also you're bi, would you like to be with a bi woman?

Shorthaul likes this.
  3. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say go for it. I'm also a bit introverted but I'd go out in a second if it meant meeting like-minded friends. Being gay in such a conservative place is really tough and lonely.

Tightrope likes this.
  4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say go, if its not your thing you can always go home. There are groups for just about every interest and hobby on the internet and you would be surprised how you can find things even in a small town.

If you have any interest in table top role playing games, find a game store close by. Most host game nights and generally most of the people playing at those are very welcoming of new people. Some of my closest friends I have met through gaming.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How about:…. Go and learn a language where you will be in a class every week
    Art classes
    Hiking groups
    Voluntary work
    … basically anything that gets you in to groups where you may eventually make friends

6. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I feel like an idiot. I get all ready to go and double check the address. The damn event is NEXT Friday. At least preparing for it made me realize that I do actually want to go.

Cinnamoon likes this.
  7. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely a good sign. I'm an introvert and a homebody too, but even introverts need a social support network and friends we can see in person. I'd say definitely go for it, I know how easy it is to let nerves get the better of you in this situation but just remember why you're doing it and who knows, you could end up with a bunch of like-minded friends.