1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't transition and need help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CoffeeMug, Sep 6, 2022.

1. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ah okay okay, miscommunication on my end!

Honestly I don't know what else I can do for my gender dysphoria if everything makes me feel worse on that end. Since no professional I've met can think of anything, and I can't do medical stuff for it, and no clothes or names make me feel euphoria in any capacity and I'm always dysphoric every day... basically I'm out of options and I do not know what to do. Support groups aren't helping me, therapy doesn't either (I'm used to that though for other reasons), and I'm extremely run down and exhausted from this. I have no support from friends or family or my partner too. So I'm very stuck.

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry that you have no support and are stuck. I really wish I could help you and the only way I can is offering some insight. You can take this information or leave it, if you don't think it's helpful or you know this already. All up to you.

Dysphoria can be caused by many different things and it's not just related to gender. I think you have multiple things that you need to work on individually and on a deeper level, what can be very hard, especially if you have no additional support from friends and family. Hugs. My main support about it all comes from my online friends, so you can think of EC as support as well.

Dysphoria can come from extreme stress, health conditions and even medication can be a cause and it can be also associated to many mental health conditions. There are even different types of dysphoria and even if you transition, then you can still experience gender dysphoria. Transitioning isn't wondrous cure, though it does help many people.

With body image there are conditions like body dysmorphia, what is a condition, where you are obsessed over your looks.
    Gender dysphoria causes you discomfort with your gender. I have gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia, so I know how hard it all is. Sometimes it's very hard for me to distinguish between them.

What I want to say with this is that there are many factors what can cause all of this for you and it can also be many small things, that can cause a big worry and sometimes it helps to view things in different angles. By tackling one problem at a time can offer more benefit, than trying to change yourself to become this ideal you. I know I can't really become this ideal self, but I can cope with dysphoria. I like to keep myself busy and focus on my hobbies and continue therapy. Small things can make a world of difference. I also chase the feelings of euphoria and the thing that makes me even more depressed is that I have experienced euphoria and that I can't experience it all the time, so maybe it's even good, that you don't experience it.

I don't know what kind of therapy you have received and what have you and your therapist focused on, but sometimes it's also needed to change the therapist until you find the right one and change the approach and also treatment and medications.

Even change of environment can be beneficial.

3. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sadly none of that really fits me. I've been through dozens of therapists, all types and all methods of therapy. From a basic counselor to a psychiatrist to a psychologist and so on. None of them could find anything that can make me feel better or happy. Only thing that worked was TMS therapy for my depression, but that had to be done for two rounds and all out of pocket, so that was a fun thing to do lol i went through 15 medications for all my mental health conditions including my dysphoria, and none of them have helped me, I only got severe adverse side effects. At one point I even got genetically tested because there had to be something that could work for me, and it seems the alleles I have don't allow any medicine to truly work right on me. Pain medications I need a HIGH dosage for them to work, antidepressants I need a dosage so high it doesn't exist, antipsychotics I basically can't take at all because of how low a dose I need to work. The list goes on and on. My mom has the exact opposite problem of me (all medicine she is hyper sensitive to) so I think I just have a mutated gene from her.

I also have body dysmorphia, but I can see what that affects versus what my gender dysphoria affects. Sometimes they feed off each other, but they're rather separate for most things. I have a phantom limb feeling where my groin is constantly, nothing brings me legitimate happiness and only panic and self-anger, and I've run through so many different methods of trying to find something to feel better that I am just exhausted now.

From what it seems on here, even everyone on here thinks there's nothing I can do. Even my friends don't think there's something I can do.

If I can ask this then without being thought poorly of, do you know where I can talk to a lawyer to write up a will for me? They don't respond to me and I don't want them to think I'm not mentally stable. I'm coherent and conscious of my actions, I'm just very tired of this whole thing. If I can't ever be what I wish I was, then I see no point living in flesh that hates me.

4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one thinks poorly of you here. The main thing I'm saying that you can live perfectly normally. You don't need a will. You're so young and there is a whole life ahead. The world changes and there will be new technology and cures, so there is or will be surely something that help you.You need to change your mindset.

You have friends and family. Focus more on spending time with them. Seems like you do talk with your friends and family, even if they don't support you on this. How do you get along with them normally?

5. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not well, I don't talk to them much about this stuff because it's been made clear they don't really understand or support me in that regard. Most of them are LGBT+, but they just don't really understand why nothing works for me, so they think I'm just traumatized and suffer from a personality disorder or that I'm toxic and manipulative and not really dysphoric like they are. But, I can talk to them about their personal issues and I'm fine with that. Family is the same way, they support everyone that isn't me essentially when it comes to sexuality and identity. Trans-female friend that's also bisexual? They love and support her. Me? I better be a girl because God demands it and I will be spitting in God's face if I think of changing my name.

Eh, it is what it is. My fiance is too busy and stressed to discuss this with, he's working himself to death basically and has his own mental health issues to deal with, so I try not to talk about my own. When I did in the past, he would break down crying because he can't figure out what to do to help me. So...yeah I'm not going to talk to him about this either.

It's not my mindset, I'm just kind of fucked up and accepted it. I know false hope can lead to extreme spikes and downward spirals, plus what I need medically won't be accessible or possible by humanity ever, it's just a downright fact. It's not like how, at the moment, they're looking into penile transplants as a possibility for trans-men/trans-masc individuals. Which, hey, that's awesome! I'm glad they're trying to see if that works for them. It just won't do anything for me, it's not what I need to make these feelings go away. What I need isn't real, and doesn't exist for people, so there's never going to be anything to fix me and make me normal, ya know? It's not like that, 'oh woe is me,' type of thing, but more of me having to constantly be told again and again by everyone that nothing works for me, I'm not supposed to be alive, my life shouldn't be the way it is, nothing I say and how I react to things in a physiological way makes sense, but at the same time to just not die and that once I find that one thing I didn't try, it'll all get better. But when you have tried everything, they seem to keep giving you false hope that something is out there to make you feel better. I mean this with every fiber of my being, if there was something, anything, that can make me feel euphoria and happy in my body, I'd go bankrupt obtaining whatever it was. If there was some magic potion that can make me exactly what I wish I was, you bet your bottom dollar I'd risk life and limb to drink it. Unfortunately, from all my research and from the many many people I've discussed this with in a professional and in an online setting, there's just nothing for me. I'm a fuck up.

I've tried everything, from binding to packing to changing my name and pronouns, nothing makes me feel better, only worse. Like a feeling of my skin being too tight and too loose at the same time, or a horrific stabbing in my heart when people would address me in any way. I know my mind is more in the alterhuman side of things, but there's also no term to best describe me there too. When I talked to otherkin people about this, they just say the same thing: "you must be crazy, I don't think you're otherkin. Have you considered therapy?" The moment they hear how I've been through therapy so many times, they just shrug my shoulders and say, "well, that sucks. Sorry but you're not one of us either."

So, yeah, I feel like I'm not supposed to be here. I think there might have been a mistake with me in some way. My being young doesn't really change that I'm stuck like this and that I'll only get worse as time goes on since the fact I am aging and my body is every changing in a direction I despise will only cause me to get worse with my feelings. I already have a set time when I'm leaving existence, but that's about 32 years away and I still need to iron out the details to make sure everyone gets something of value from me to make sure they're set for their lives or at least their children are. It's a big step to take, I know it is, so I'm trying my best to make sure no stone is left unturned.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe find another doctor, who deals specifically with treating extra weight. There are doctors out there like that. There is a fragment of medicine called obesitology.

7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk, I know how you feel. Everything is wrong with my menstruation, I feel paranoid about pregnancy and in theory I should take birth control pills. But I can't. I have lots of issues with them. I'm one of the few people who can't take them due to severe adverse side effects and possibly blood clots, even though I need them. It's even more depressing when you hear that there is a form of hormonal birth control ir treatment of menstrual symptoms for everyone, even with health problems, how you should be assertive and reach out to your doctor, they WILL helo you. But I just can't take hormones, no other type of medicines gives me such problems. And painkillers don't help me with menstrual cramps. They help a tiny bit. Not much. I still feel very bad on period. They say trans people can take birth control to stop periods altogether. I can't, because I can't take hormones like the mini-pill. It makes me not feel my legs (hence I need to get checked for blood clotting), vomit and it gives me a bad mood and sleep issues. It's not like for most people that they just swallow a pill a day and don't notice it beyond not having a period... I wish I knew what to do too. The bad luck is that most of the trans-related healthcare is based on taking hormones. And I don't feel like I actually need or would feel happier for example with top surgery. So... I wish there were solutions or that anyone knew what to do in such situations.

Doesn't seem like healthy friendship to me. Maybe it won't help with the dysphoria, but it certainly makes everyone feel worse to hear things like that. Someone you call friends invalidating your feelings.
    I'm sorry that you have to deal with that.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry. I can see that you've been through a lot. Reading all of this made me feel very sad. I can't say that I fully understand you, since I don't go through all of this myself, there are things similar, but it's not the same. I also wanted to say that I don't try to invalidate you in any way, just trying to understand, so thank you very much telling us everything, what surely haven't been easy for you. I had to look up the terms you are describing yourself with and do a little research, but there isn't a lot of information about it all out there.

That said I also read through your other post just made and wanted to ask you, if you have ever experimented with make up? If clothes and other things won't work then make up could be the next best thing. There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube, what you could look up and try to achieve that specific look you are trying to achieve. It does take a lot of practice though and it even may become a new hobby for you. Makeup can do wonders and it's genderless, anyone can use it. It can help to make you feel a little bit better about yourself. I don't know if it's helpful for you at all though.

Of course continue with therapy too.

Edit: also reddit is not a good place to ask for any kind of information or advice. There is a lot of misinformation spreading out there.

9. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't wear makeup, makes me dysphoric too unfortunately. Plus I look just god awful in it I won't lie lol my face is so oddly proportioned that it looks bizarre if I wear makeup (and yes, contouring doesn't help, I've seen people that work in makeup cringe the moment they're done with me). I love it on other people, but it's just not for me.

10. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wanna make sure I understand, do you mean obstetrics? Because I'm not morbidly obese so I don't count in that area either. But I've tried seeing an endo and they deny seeing me the moment they look at my medication history. Most doctors openly refuse to see me because I'm a liability to them :/

But I actually totally get what you're going through with hormonal birth control, it makes me suicidal and I gain weight rapidly on it, so I can't take any b.c. either. I actually knew someone that also has bleeding issues with the hormonal ones, so know you're not alone on that!

Mihael likes this.
  11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I'm not a native speaker of English, so I checked everything in Google, according to which (it might be wrong):
    - obstetrics is a branch of medicine that deals with childbirth and midwifery
    - obesitology is a translation of a similar word in my native language that means a branch of medicine that deals with obesity

Maybe you need to go to several endocrinologists or doctors of other specialities, because not every obesitologist is an endocrinologist. I also know for a fact that there are doctors who don't treat only morbidly obese people. If you have excess body fat, even if your BMI is lower than 25, you can get treatment for it. It might take trial and error to find a doctor, because there are some doctors (of any speciality) who treat only people who have life threatening conditions and don't care about quality of life of their patients, and believe that medications are harmful unless you're about to die. It might also take a couple of tries until you find a doctor (or a dietician? who knows what might work out for you) that you get along with, because not everyone gets along woth everyone. Like you might not like someone's methods of treatment or their personality. I remember this doctor who thought I'm being mean to her, because I'm not talkative - she was hard to deal with for me. She also dismissed my (right) concerns about side effects I might experience. Maybe you need to ask around for doctors that someone else alreafy found to be helpful with treatment of someone who has difficulties - for example ask the doctors you go to and get along with or your friends and family. Or ask on facebook groups or other social media related to weight loss. It can be tough to even find the right doctor if simple, first-line (and second- and third-line...) or "recommended" solutions don't work for you and with a complicated medical history.

Rayland likes this.
  12. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry I got my words mixed up, I meant bariatrics, that's the word for the field of medicine that handles heavier patients.

So, I function perfectly normal with no problems involving my health, so I wouldn't be seen by someone that practices in that field. I have good blood pressure, hemoglobin is fine, A1C is normal, etc. So they'd say I don't need to see them. I'm seeing a dietician already, she's nice, just need to increase protein in my diet but weight loss is almost impossible for me.

And I've tried various doctors, they just refuse to take me or, after one consultation, they tell me where the door is and that they can't help me. Plus my insurance just won't cover anything for me now without a fight because nothing has worked in the past for me. They even refused to cover depression treatment because I'm suicidal and depressed (their own words, my psychiatrist got into a screaming match with them because it means I need the treatment, but they kept using it as their reason to not cover it).

I'm sorry, I don't mean to shoot you down or anything, I just have tried all of that stuff and I don't get anywhere with it or I get worse in the end.

13. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How many doctors have you seen regarding this particular issue?
    Maybe you need to not rely on insurance. You wrote before that you're willing to pay much.
    I've never seen a dietician, even though I have a lot of digestive problems. However, they must be like any other proffession, namely there are more and less competent dieticians out there. And polite and less polite and with different preferences and temperaments. You might need to do some trial and error - if you care to, obviously, I personally wouldn't ever go to a dietician, because their reccommendations are bad for me. I function best on what is deemed unhealthy food and unhealthy eating patterns, because I don't eat a dozen times a day. Obviously, I don't eat sweets or fast food and don't drink sweet drinks, because they make me gain weight, but this is the end of what I agree with dieticians about what is healthy or not. So if you believe dieticians in the first place, which I don't, you probably need to see several and try different approaches.

14. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't even remember how many I've looked into, I just get turned away in the end. And no I can't pay out of pocket for everything, I already do for the three therapists I see and I'm trying to get one covered at least still by my insurance because it's just too much. I don't work, I'm basically just using what's in my account at the moment while going to school.

My dietician I really like, she's nice and is working with me. Like I said, I eat fine, I just need more protein and I'm getting those numbers up bit by bit. I just can't lose weight in a normal fashion, and from my labwork and physicals and all that fun stuff, it just doesn't really make sense why I'm not. I'm the only heavy AFAB person in the family, excluding my late grandmother, but she got heavier in age and was always skinny prior to that. No man in my family is big either. I'm the only fat person (my family lets me know that all too well), and no one can seem to figure out why besides trying to look at what I eat, and I eat the same caloric amount as a child almost which means I should be underweight but I'm not.

I'm very sorry, I don't wanna upset you or anything, and I really am happy you're trying to figure out different options on this end, but there's nothing else I can do about my weight or my body in that regard. I can just stop eating, but I don't have the willpower for that, I always break after 12 hours or so if I try to. Best I can do is just eat little, work on my macros, exercise a lot, and hope one day I'll lose weight. That's about it.

15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not. It's fine, your situation is just tough.

I hope at least some of the problems you've mentioned in this thread get solved at some point and it becomes easier for you in the future. :frowning2:

16. CoffeeMug

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope so too, thank you