1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identity vs Orientation

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Bastion, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

Since I found this forum. I’ve been posting, learning, reading, examining, thinking about matters relating to one’s own sexuality and discussing topics relating to my own experiences and comparing that to others who may or may not be in similar situations in their lives.

I find it very helpful sometimes to share what I come across weather from books or articles and maybe get some feedback on things I am not very clear about.

Recently I’ve been reading a book by
    Loren A. Olson, M.D and psychologist called finally out. I came across one paragraph and it goes like this

“Sexuality is far more complex than body parts. It includes sexual fantasy, sexual behavior, sexual preference, sexual orientation, and sexual identity; it also includes emotionality and Romance. At times, these forces contradict each other even within the same individual”

While I understand most of it. But I don’t have a clear idea about the difference between sexual identity and sexual orientation?

Also it gets complicated by the last sentence. So why do these forces contradict each other in the same individual?

Thoughts…

Purple Yoda likes this.
  2. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is the name of the book?
    It sounds like it describes my dilemma
    Identity sounds like voluntary identification - "I am straight"
    orientation sounds like unconscious urges "I have gay fantasies"

I wish I could find it but I remember reading about involuntary 'groinal response', there was also a term for sexually desiring someone but not being able to be aroused while also getting aroused by something you don't want to be aroused by.

3. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Searching2022 Thanks for your reply. Yeah there are many terms these days. It’s confusing sometimes. Like the terms they use in medical reports or articles. Something like MSM or WSW. Maybe they have to be scientific and general about it.

Searching2022 likes this.
  4. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For 18 months or so I identified as gay, even though as a Kinsey five, I was technically bisexual, however now my orientation matches my identification, gay, it just took me a long time to fully accept I was a Kinsey six.

For me, orientation was more of a technical term, whereas identification was more of a feeling. Very unscientific, but that's how I used them. I guess it allowed me a little wiggle room in my acceptance.

Bastion and Nealg like this.
  5. Rainbow64

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember when I realized I was oriented towards men but I didn’t want to identify as gay. I had to work through my internalized homophobia and accept myself for who I was. Now I am at a point where I fully identify as a gay man. My orientation is now lined up with my identity.

6. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @zgaynz thanks for taking the time to reply to this post. Yeah. This is kinda of what am trying to reach or get at. Because sometimes things don’t align for me the way I think they should. There is a conflict somewhere between identity and orientation. There is a kind of of pull between the two endpoints of the spectrum which leaves me somewhere in the middle. Sometimes leaning more towards one end or the other. Which makes things difficult for me which direction should I go. Which kind of life should I be leading and with whom.

Searching2022 likes this.
  7. Loves books

I had to look up what sexual identity actually was and it said it’s how you think of yourself in terms of who you are romantically or sexually attracted to. Sexual orientation was described as an enduring pattern of which gender you are attracted to. In my case I think of myself as a lesbian and I’m attracted exclusively to women. Both my sexual identity and orientation are the same. It does make it sound like I could call myself a lesbian even if I was attracted to men too. To be honest it sounds like someone in denial. They identify as straight while being attracted to people of the same gender.

Isbjorn and Bastion like this.
  8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me identity is how I preceive myself and how I want others to see myself. It's what makes up my individuality. Sexual orientation is to who I'm attracted to. I'm polysexual. I get attracted to almost all genders, but there are a few exeptions. Sexual identity is something I'm not familiar with. It's the first time I hear this description. I don't think of my sexuality as my whole identity, so it's confusing to me. I think of it as sexual orientation as well, rather than my identity.

Isbjorn and Bastion like this.
  9. McLate

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Me too. In trying to move from questioning to acceptance, I've found I'm reading as much material as I can find.

If I apply this to myself, for most of my life, I have suppressed my attraction for men and presented myself as straight. So, my straight identity is different and in conflict or contradiction with my gay orientation. For others, I guess the contradiction may be different for others.

Bastion likes this.
  10. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes i know it can be confusing sometimes. That’s why I created this thread to shed light on this subject and get more clarity on it.

So it seems to me from your writing that you are not sure if you are lesbian or bisexual. I don’t think that you are in denial. You are just not somewhere else on the lgbtqia spectrum.

If we take the first half of your post. In which you say your identity and orientation do align that means you have reached a point of acceptance. And there is no dissonance or conflict between the two.

Am not really and expert here by the way. But I like to analyze and think about stuff like that in the hope that I find answers myself.

11. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes exactly my point. I read that in a book about sexuality and coming out. Written by psychologist. I thought to myself I don’t see it that way because I don’t really have a separate identity. To me that is more an individuality or personality and that hasn’t changed because am the same person I always was. Except maybe my orientation or attractions have shifted a bit or am accepting more myself as someone who is attracted to both genders.

12. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From your perspective it can be seen like that. I see the contradiction. For me it’s not that simple. Because I haven’t changed, I feel am still the same person. Yes am in relationship with a woman and have been for several years now. But there is another side of me that’s also kind of attracted to my same gender. Am trying to accept that part of me as well.

13. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Guess its just me I never saw a difference between the two.

14. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah it’s more complicated than I thought at first. And I quite can’t put my finger on it. That’s why I created this thread.

15. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you or others find more information on this topic I would appreciate it.

16. itsuka

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sexual identity is simply what label you adopt, while sexual orientation is what you actually desire and are aroused by. I identified as gay most of my life (even though my fantasies indicated I was bisexual), but realized that gay stuff actually wasn’t my primary attraction! So it’s a useful distinction to make, as sexuality is often quite complicated.

Bastion likes this.
  17. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your post. Yeah and I think you are on the right track. I figured as much from other member’s replies and doing some reading.

So yeah because sexual orientation is more related to desire, arousal, fantasy and what turns you on. It can be more broad and multidimensional in a sense.
    In the same line of thinking this makes an identity a narrower or more fixed. Kind of developed and is more stable over time.

Developed meas all encompassing like when all the elements or forces of one’s sexuality combine, become fixed or stable over time then people can develop a sexual identity.

I agree it’s complicated but also the human mind sometimes needs to analyze, categorize and find reasons for the choices someone makes or doesn’t even if there was no clear explanation.

Also something to think about. If one only relies and concentrates exclusively on genital sex or the momentary pleasure of it. Without considering other factors like emotional behavior. He/she may miss out on the real significance of building that identity for the long term. Which evidently may have an adverse effect on building more lasting relationships in general.

itsuka likes this.
  18. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if what you desire is different than what you are aroused by? For example, someone might have an unwanted or harmful fetish.

19. itsuka

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I suppose I was thinking that arousal is baked into desire. If you are aroused by something, even if it's unethical or harmful, it's still a desire, even if you'd rather not have said desire. A famous philosopher (Schopenhauer) once said "A man can do what he wills, but not will what he wills." You can choose to act on your desires, but you can't change them, no matter their quality.

20. Searching2022

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But what if you desire something but don't get sexually aroused? I once came across a term for this ... but I have forgotten it...