1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused: Am I asexual or am I foolin' myself maybe...?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Misadori, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everybody!

I'm a sensitive and overthinkin' kind of person who are somewhat lost in thoughts at the moment and I was wonderin' if I could have some advice from you. Since there ain't many places where I dare to be open and can practically talk or vent. EC is a place where I feel comfy about bein' my true self infront of people I don't know and I feel like I couldn't turn to a better forum with my thoughts that I carry(A)

I am wonderin' if I might be asexual. I've done some minor research since I haven't read much about what bein' asexual means besides that you're not attracted to any gender at all and doesn't wish to have sex with anyone (I hope that I got it in a correct way^^;; I don't mean to put out somethin' incorrectly, feel free to correct me in that case(A) ) I did some more diggin' and read that asexuality could mean that there's a lack of interest, low/lack/no desire for sexual activity. I find those words somethin' that describes my thoughts. Although, since I've been misfortunate in life in havin' findin' a partner to share my life with I'm not sure if these curious thoughts bases on me bein' in a relationship, givin' me lack of experience, or if I value the thought of a nice evenings with cuddlin' more than havin' sex.
    I'd like to share you a brief story from my past, about a girl who in the end only loved me when I wasn't with her but didn't loved me when we met up. We had sex once and honestly, I can say that my interest hasn't increased after that. It has rather made me more insecure as a person. We've known eachother for about a month and my feelings for her had grown a lot durin' that time, as did hers about me (at least she claimed that. I do feel like I've been fooled after all of this) Many consider findin' the partner of your dreams is some kind of game you gotta play but takin' in signals and playin' that game hasn't been my strong suit. I'm more for an open conversation where I can tell what I like about someone. Sometimes people tells that there's a different between flirtin' and complimentin' someone. I have a hard time to tell the difference for a friend asked me once if I were flirtin', or more like mentioned that I can indeed flirt. Not my intention really for I knew she had a boyfriend, I just gave her a complimention that I liked her haircut that night(A) Nope, I appreciate honesty and compliments than playin' games and interpret signals(A) I'm just too honest to even play hard to get, really:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't wish to say I'm asexual if it would turn out that I'd be more interested in sexual activity if I get to meet the girl of my dreams someday, someone I'd known for a longer time and had a real and serious relationship with. I wish to respect what the flag stands for and what it means to be asexual. I feel like I'm makin' my words quite complicated right now but that's how my thoughts goes. Therefore, I'd love to ask you all for advice if I could consider myself asexual or if my thoughts are just a result from lack of experience or if I'm foolin' myself.

If you have any specific questions you'd like to ask me, feel free to do so and I'll do my best to answer! Would be happy to answer to anythin' you wonder about:slight_smile:

Cinnamoon and Isbjorn like this.
  2. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do not know enough about asexuality to really help. I can only share that from your description, it looks right. I can also see you have put a lot of thought into this, which is important.

I am sure there are those here that know more and can help more. Good luck!

BiGemini87, Misadori and Cinnamoon like this.
  3. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, so to be honest what you've written here resonates with me a lot. I'm gay, and at the start of this year went through something with a guy I really liked. He was in an open relationship, and even though he wanted to be friends with me and just chat, he was basically mainly in it for the sex. Which maybe I should have found flattering, but I didn't and still don't.

I feel similar to you, in that I'd feel more comfortable lying hugging someone, kissing them and just being close to them than having meaningless sex. I'm not 100% asexual, but I'd definitely class myself as being demisexual which is on the spectrum of asexuality, and basically means I only really feel comfortable sexually with someone when there's a strong emotional bond and a trust has been formed.

So as much as I loved being with this guy, I couldn't make it work because I just wasn't as sex-focused as he or so many other guys seemed to be. No judgement it's just hard for me in that environment.

So even though it's not for me to label you, I'd say maybe you're more demisexual than asexual? Please correct me if I'm wrong, of course, but yeah it can be tough to navigate and understand sometimes I know.

Misadori and Isbjorn like this.
  4. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks Isbjorn for your acknowledge:slight_smile: Your words does help me for it means that I was onto somethin' that might be and you verified it^^ So thank you for your words!:grin:

#4 Misadori, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    Isbjorn likes this.
  5. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you Cinnamon for sharin' your story. It is a relief to me that my words and thoughts did make some sense in the midst of all confusion(A) I'm sorry to hear that it didn't worked out, that you were on two different levels when it came to the view of havin' sex. We are indeed all people and we are all different from eachother. I do hope that you do meet someone who respects you and also your demisexuality and understands how you feel about havin' sex. It does makes me happy to hear that we share a similiar view on that, that we need to feel this strong bond before doin' anythin' more. I think it's a beautiful thought and also a beautiful way to see it all:slight_smile:

Also wanna say thank you for your guidance as I haven't considered or thought deeper than on an asexual plane:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The way you describe demisexuality is somethin' I feel I can really connect with, to associate with and define myself as!:grin: I've felt and thought like that for a very long time without takin' it to any consideration but now:grin: I'm feelin' really convinced by this and would like to henceforth, with you and Isbjorn as my witnesses in this EC Forum-thread, describe and define myself as demisexual!!^^

#5 Misadori, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
  6. Misadori

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    May I also add that I was honestly tempted to write my responses to each of you earlier today but couldn't:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:^^ I was on a lunch break and had to return to work, didn't had the time to write back then;D It became my top priority to make this announcement and thank you two^^ For the whole Sunday, I knew that my inner colors were flucturatin' and just wanted to break free in white, grey, purple and black colors, addin' up to my light blue, light pink and white ones!:wink:

Isbjorn likes this.
  7. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, @Misadori! I can't say for certain of course, as I'm not experiencing what you're experiencing, but from what I do know of asexuality--it does seem a possibility. That being said, it really comes down to a number of factors over all, I think: such as whether you've ever experienced sexual arousal/attraction, and if so, has it been limited/spread out over a lot of time, or did it disappear after a certain age. Or whether anything traumatic has happened to you (particularly in childhood) that might have otherwise impacted your lack of sexual feelings. Asexual people as a rule aren't asexual because of trauma, but just simply are what they are; someone who has trouble with sexuality and lacks the drive due to trauma, however, would be a different matter entirely, in which therapy might be necessary to work through whatever their issues.

You of course don't have to tell us anything you don't wish to; this is merely something you can reflect on yourself. If trauma isn't a factor, then I return to my previous thought that your being asexual is a pretty good possibility.

FireFox likes this.