1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to say when asked why you can’t be in a platonic marriage?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mlansing, Jun 28, 2022.

1. mlansing

I have had this discussion with my Dad several times, where he asks why I can’t just be with a woman in a platonic marriage and raise kids with her. He says there’s more to marriage than sex (as if I didn’t already know that).

It seems like nothing I say sinks in because it continues to come up. Is there a way to reply that might get through to him? I don’t want to say necessarily that what he’s saying is hurtful and invalidating, even though I feel that it is, because I don’t want to come across as overly sensitive in his eyes.

This is not something that has been super problematic for our relationship because it doesn’t come up that often, but it’s irritating when it does. It feels like he’s perpetually stuck in the bargaining stage of grief/loss. Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that that is just the way parents think no matter how mant times you say something. You can try to set boundaries, but understand that they may just get ignored. The best you can do is learn to control your own reaction. Easier said than done, I don't know how many times I've let out an exasperated sigh after my parents ask why I don't go to church anymore no matter how many times I've told them to stop.

mlansing likes this.
  3. mlansing

I appreciate that. I am sorry you have to deal with that, but it is nice to know you’re not alone :hugging:

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m sorry that you’re dealing with this.

You could ask him how you’re going to raise kids with a woman without having sex. If he suggests that you can adopt, then ask why you can’t adopt kids with another man.

You could point out how unfair this is to the woman. You’d be marrying a woman that you know you aren’t in love with. Either you’re lying to her about how you feel or she knows the truth and is just going along with it. Marriage is a two-way street and even if you were okay with the idea of a platonic marriage, that doesn’t mean your wife is—or that the both of you aren’t missing out on the chance for a marriage with love.

You could point out that there might be more to a marriage than sex, but what about love?

There’s also something to be said about not trying to convince him he’s wrong and just saying “We’ve talked about this before and I’m not looking for a platonic marriage with a woman. My answer will not change. Please don’t bring it up again.”

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Filp it back around on him. Why could he not just marry a guy he doesn't love and adopt kids? There's more to marriage than sex. If he says that's outrageous, tell him that is *exactly* how it makes you feel. And then, if he still doesn't get it, keep suggesting that every now and then. I mean, some people are clueless, but almost anyone would get it if it keeps being thrown in their face.

Quite frankly, it makes me *angry* to hear that he is suggesting that. It is the most belittling, insulting, offensive, uncaring statement someone could make to someone they care about. "What's the problem with you being in a loveless marriage with someone you aren't attracted to? Why won't you do that?" Seriously, that is Olympic world-class-level fucked up. It absolutely IS hurtful and invalidating, unbelievably so. And if you so desire, you can feel free to show this message to him.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could point out to him that millions of gay men and women around the world have already tried what he suggests and it's left them utterly miserable... because it's not just about sex. Just look at the later in life sub-forum for supporting evidence, if needed. You could further point out to him that happy children come from a happy home, where both parents love and are in love with each other. It does children no good to feel or witness tension in their parents marriage (and they absolutely do).

What your father is suggesting is no less screwed up than forcing women to have children.

Chip, Prisma and mlansing like this.
  7. mlansing

I think from his perspective it’s better to sacrifice personal happiness for the sake of continuing on the family line, but I already decided when I came out that I wasn’t going to do that. But at the end of the day it feels like he’s just not comfortable with his son being gay, and it doesn’t seem like he’s trying to come to terms with it.

I’m actually fine with him being comfortable or not comfortable with it, but what’s irritating is having to defend myself for just being who I am and wanting to live honestly and with integrity. It would be like him having to defend himself for liking women, which no one would question him about (straight privilege).

But at the end of the day it’s not up to me to make him ok with it. What I can do, though, is say that I’ve said my peace about this and I don’t want to talk about it anymore. I can tell he’s not trying to be a jerk or belligerent when he talks about it, and a part of me also wants to keep the lines of communication open. It’s more so after the conversation is over that I feel invalidated and, frankly, hurt.

Prisma likes this.
  8. mlansing

I should add that my brother has two kids so it’s not like the lineage rests solely on my shoulders. I’ve talked about still wanting kids with a male partner, but I feel like that desire is weaponized against me because it would be “so much easier” to have kids with a woman.

I’ve pretty much determined that it’s probably better to not even talk about wanting kids anymore because I don’t want to deal with the pushback. Sad, but that’s just my reality.

9. mlansing

Just to clarify, I’ve talked about having my own kid or kids through IVF while with a male partner, hence the pushback about it being easier with a woman. Ironically, part of my personal motivation for wanting kids is to continue the blood line, so I guess the apple doesn’t fall that far from the tree. If my only option were to adopt I would probably just as soon skip having kids altogether and be fine with that.

This thread is kind of turning into a different topic, but all that to say I can kind of see where he’s coming from. Nevertheless, I did already decide when I came out that I wasn’t going to sacrifice my personal happiness or live dishonestly for the sake of continuing the family line, so it’s kind of a moot point in my mind (not his, though, apparently).

10. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're exactly right, it's not up to you to make him okay with it. Your life is your own.

mlansing likes this.
  11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, sorry, but that's an incredibly selfish perspective. He's welcomed to have it. It has nothing to do with you.

I would concur.

So... this is totally not OK. You don't deserve to be invalidated OR hurt. You don't have to do this, either.

You can set a boundary. Something along the lines of "Dad, I've heard your piece on this many times. I can't, won't, will not ever agree with your perspective. This is my life, and I'm setting a boundary. If you want to engage and interact with me, you need to respect who I am and the decisions I've made. That means no more comments, suggestions, etc. that I marry someone I am not attracted to or anything of the sort. If you honor that boundary, everything will be fine. If you do not, then I will not be able to spend time with you because, frankly, your words hurt and invalidate me, and I deserve better than to be hurt and invalidated by my own father, even if it means not seeing or interacting with him. The choice is yours."

It's harsh. He may bitch. But if you set and hold the boundary firmly (to the point of wordlessly leaving the house if he violates it), he will, almost certainly, eventually learn to honor the boundary. It sucks that it comes to this, but you owe it to yourself to be treated decently.

"

itsuka and mlansing like this.