1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hollywood: Queer Representation, Queerbaiting and coding, and the importance of showing us.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Haruto, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, long title, but I have to say that Hollywood (Disney especially) needs to give us representation. Like, Lightyear's same-sex kiss was almost censored. This whole idea of queerbaiting is so annoying. I can see how they want to represent without losing their audience or getting censored, but this still makes me mad that in 2022, we have a handful of shows that actually depict happy, healthy (and not inappropriate) queer people. I have to admit, I got excited when the internet said Loki was bi. I watched the clip from the show, and still was dissatisfied.

It's so saddening to say that Disney hasn't had a movie where a (MAIN, not side character) is gay/bi/trans/nb/pan/etc, and doesn't say some tiptoe-around line. It's a shame that Hollywood has barely grown from the 80's. This has also made me doubt every single time someone says "Disney's a progressive powerhouse!" Or,"Disney's first Gay Character" who was a side character and just said a passing, blink-and-you'll-miss-it line that hints at queerness.

Unfortunately, Hollywood (and a lot of foreign studios) aren't ready to break down such barriers. I hope in the future, we have representation in media(and hopefully played by queer actors). I'm sorry this was so long, but thanks for listening to my rant.

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disney is not a progressive company.

They don't want to lose out on the money of conservative audiences, but they want to do the bare minimum in an attempt to attract queer audiences. There are entire countries that won't allow movies with same-sex content to be shown. I know Marvel best so let's see we have...
    • The "blink and you'll miss it" reference to a gay man in Avengers Endgame, played by a straight man
    • Loki's "blink and you'll miss it" reference to being bisexual
    • Phastos in The Eternals has a husband and this is arguably the best queer representation in the MCU
    • America in Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness has two mothers and spends most of the movie with a pin of the progress pride flag on her jacket
    The truth is Disney just wants to have their cake and eat it too. They'll be exactly as progressive as the money it earns them.

P.S. If you have access to HBO Max, you should watch Our Flag Means Death.

3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^100% this, all of it! Also I've been told there's a gay character in Cruella (haven't seen it), Ursula from The Little Mermaid is based on a drag queen (so of course she's the villain), and Luca is seen as a LGBTQIA+ allegory (not the intention of the creator). It's believed the two police officers in Gravity Falls are a gay couple, Luz from the Owl House is bi and Amity is a lesbian, and the guy best friend (can't remember his name) from Andi Mack is bi and the actor who plays him is bi. There's also a gay couple that shows up in the background of Big City Greens on occasion. (Just realized I watch way too much Disney...)

It is the bare minimum, likely because if it was too overt it would be banned in places they make considerable revenue. Also the conservatives would flip out (in fact, I'm related to people like that), just like Aspen said. Not to mention that even their banner for their pride collection on Disney+ is very subtle, I wouldn't have even known what it was if it hadn't said 'pride' somewhere on it.

#3 TinyWerewolf, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The character's name is Artie. I don't remember an explicit mention of him being gay, but the intent is obvious. The actor, John McCrea, is gay and originated the role of Jamie in the London stage, queer themed musical, Everybody's Talking about Jamie

5. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like Amity and Luz the most out of all the LGBT characters Disney has put out for three reasons.
    1. Both of them are treated as significant main characters
    2. I like how their characters have been written
    3. They are shown to be a healthy couple

#5 caden0803, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  6. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Didn't know that.

It's definitely the best bit of representation, I believe that the creator of the show is bi herself (if I'm remembering correctly).

7. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're right that Dana Terrace is bisexual.

I didn't see the reference in Endgame. But you're right. Disney (even less Hollywood) is a market where you have to try and please as many people as possible.

Honestly if every streaming service just followed in Netflix's footsteps, we'd have more shows like She-Ra and Heartstopper with good queer representation and more than two characters vibing together at a birthday party. (Turning Red, I'm looking at you.)

We need to be represented more than a side character saying briefly that they have a partner of the same gender.

8. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    actually funny thing about same gender couples is they actually have a lower chance of divorce than straight couples because.... it's.. cool? to hate your spouse?

9. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's in the scene where Steve Rogers is running a post-blip support group and one of the members recounts his date with a guy.

10. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, now I remember.....

11. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I did not know that because it is not something I have looked into before. The most I have seen on the subject is partners who complain about each other on the internet.

#11 caden0803, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  12. Haruto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still mad about this, because instead of saying a dumb tiptoe line, let them come out. I loved Diary of A Future President and the Owl House, because they SAY "gay" in #1, show Bobby (the main character's BROTHER) having same-sex crushes, and even manage to keep this PG.

Owl House, they show a WLW couple, they talk about the attraction, and even show them doing couple things (like texting lovey dovey things)

Disney's TV shows are more woke than every movie they've ever made.