1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny victory update

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PrettyBoyBlue, Jun 14, 2022.

1. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a small victory update that I hope I can share here:

I've been going on a spree "liking" all of my friends' pride updates on Facebook, now that they're finally trickling in (one lesbian couple got engaged!)

As I've written previously, a lot of my friends probably know me as homophobic, so I will see what, if any eyebrows get raised because of it. Probably nothing I would think, but we'll see. I quietly changed my orientation in December, but I'm not sure that people really look past the front profile page in general. Still felt really good though, glad I did it.

It feels a little silly in comparison, when a lot of my friends are getting engaged, getting married, and having kids. So in comparison, this all feels very small, very slow obviously.

Thanks for listening. I've really appreciated reading others' milestone threads recently, so I hope it's appropriate to post this here.

-PBB :gay_pride_flag:

#1 PrettyBoyBlue, Jun 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    quebec, Prisma, CatsAndDogs and 2 others like this.
  2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is something and is awesome! They'll appreciate your kindness I'm sure!

PrettyBoyBlue and Prisma like this.
  3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, sometimes the smallest step is the most important. Some people might check the about section and see it. But even if they don't, the fact that you've been liking posts is sure to signal to the people you know that at the very least, you're a more accepting person than they might have otherwise thought. Sometimes we need to drop tiny hints to help us find the courage to say what's really in our hearts and on our minds. I'm sure in doing this, if/when you're ready to come out, people will reflect on all those hints and recognize them for what they were. Such is the gift of hindsight. :slight_smile:

Really, this is good! I'm glad you're taking these steps. It must feel like some of the weight has been lifted.

4. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay! Revel in the small stuff because its never as small as you think it is.

5. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are a member of positive direction. I think love and happiness can spread by ripple effect and even grow into a wave spreading ever outwards. Pretty boy blue come blow your horn!

PrettyBoyBlue likes this.
  6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    PBB.....It's amazing what a little thing can do sometimes. Just "liking" someones' post and having them suddenly realize who it's from. Someone who in the past would never have done that...can have a big impact. You can never tell. Sometimes it just the littlest thing that starts an avalanche!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everybody! I can only hope so.. Much appreciated. :relieved:

Prisma likes this.
  8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If and when you are ready, you could take the next small step of posting a supportive comment. Liking a post is a great start and most people do take notice of who likes their posts, but a comment would definitely represent another step taken.

Each and every one of takes up positions on various social, moral and political issues, but they are not set in stone for ever more. Some of us become more conservative as we get older, while others become more liberal. That's life, my friend! I see various issues where my stance has changed over the years.

9. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    PBB.....There's an old Chinese proverb that says "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". Your small victories could be that "one step" on a journey that changes everything for you!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

10. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you @PatrickUK, I think I will try that... I'm not much of a social media person, so it really helps me learning about how everyone else uses it.

And thank you @quebec... I reckon I'm probably somewhere in the middle by now (I hope!!!) Left my toxic/homophobic first job a few years ago, left my brief time with the Catholic Church... those were all a doozy! But I'm glad that's out of the way. :grin:

quebec and Prisma like this.