1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between being closeted and down low?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by thexboxguy, Jun 12, 2022.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello everyone, I hope you're all doing great. I was just curious to know what the difference between being closeted and down low is.

Do they mean the same?

Are these interchangeable terms?

I'm asking this because I for the first time heard the term ''down low'' and by doing my own research I found it refers to men who most of the time have sex or are married to women, but at the same time have sex with men, too. I found another meaning, which is when a gay or bisexual man denies his attraction to men, but at the same time engage in sexual activity with men. Please guys feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

What's the difference between being closeted and down low?

Are they Interchangeable terms?

2. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure an exact definition exists, just self-interpretations. My interpretation of the terms would be that when you're in the closet, your sexuality is not common knowledge, you attempt to hide it and don't express it publicly or you could also still be in complete denial, whereas on the down low to me means that you're not attempting to hide it, you know who you are and if someone asks, you may actually consider telling them, however you still like your privacy so you're not going out and telling everyone but are at least attempting to live the lifestyle. That's my non-scientific opinion.

BiGemini87, thexboxguy and Joolz66 like this.
  3. Lek

Lek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting questions, @thexboxguy. Thanks for posting them.

"Down-low is an African-American slang term specifically used within the African-American community that typically refers to a sexual subculture of Black men who usually identify as heterosexual but actively seek sexual encounters and relations with other men, practice gay cruising, and frequently adopt a specific hip-hop attire during these activities. They generally avoid disclosing their same-sex sexual activities, even if they have female sexual partner(s), they are married to a woman, or they are single."

The rest of the article is worth reading
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down-low_(sexual_slang)

itsuka likes this.