1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQ+ vs Queer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lek, May 21, 2022.

1. Lek

Lek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see both terms used frequently, but I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Which do you prefer to use/to be used?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lek.....At this point in time I don't think there is really much difference between the two. I think that Queer is probably the older of the two and it has a history of being used as a slur. The community has basically reclaimed it as a term that we use ourselves. I know that I had trouble using it for a while. It just had a bad "taste" for me because I had heard it used as a disparagement so many times when I was young. However, after a while I adjusted to it and I'm okay with it now. LGBTQ or LGBTQIA+ are fine with me...if you don't mind a lot of letters! :old_smile: I still have trouble with "Lesbian" though. It just carries such a negative attitude that I've yet to be able to get over it. That's just my opinion, I'm sure that others feel differently.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in school the other kids would call dodgeball Smear the Queer and then usually I got pelted with balls (and not in the good way). I am just now starting to get comfortable with the term.

#3 bsg75apollo, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it really depends on the person. I have some friends that are ok with identifying as queer and some that are more comfortable identofying as LGBT. I use both terms, but most of the time I use LGBT as I don't want to accidentally offend others.

5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that lgbtqia+ is more inclusive than queer, because there are people in the community who don't use the term queer. Queer is an umbrella term. I'm comfortable with both of these terms.

6. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've got to be honest I don't like the word 'queer'.

Firstly, it's too imprecise and vague. But also even today it still has overtones of its original meaning of 'strange', 'odd' and 'unusual'.

I get why it's become a badge of pride, but I'm sick and tired of people like me being 'othered' by mainstream society. I don't want to join some queer club that stands outside society, a ghetto in other words. I'm a transgender woman who is actually really normal who wants mainstream society to accept me!

And one day it will.

Beth

7. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally dislike the word “queer” and refrain from saying it completely. There is nothing strange or unusual about same-sex attraction. Even though it’s been “reclaimed”, one can’t deny the word’s roots. Using this word as an LGBT person does nothing to empower yourself or other LGBT people.

Additionally, I feel that the normalisation of this word has caused some straight individuals to become too comfortable saying it all over again… only now, it’s somehow acceptable because leftists are also doing it. People throw the word “queer” around as if it’s the same as saying the word “blonde” or “brunette” but the truth is, it’s not.

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use both terms and see them as umbrella terms for the non-straight/Cis community.

I honestly like queer a lot more. It's a bit assumptive, but I'll typically use it around my generation/region because I know other people have different experiences with the word. LGBT just doesn't roll of the tongue well and there seems to be a little disagreement between how many letters to add

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queer is more of an umbrella term that covers the whole LGBT+ community. On a personal level, I'm not fond of queer and I don't like to be called it, but there a plenty of people who are totally at ease with it. I make no judgement in that regard.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen these terms as with mostly separate uses, slurs aside.

"Queer" has this general connotation of a gray area, or something that just doesn't neatly fit into a box. When I say I'm queer, I mean that there's a lot of my hardwiring that really doesn't fit into molds! I have the labels I have as a "For the most part" kind of deal. But saying that begs quite a few questions, and those questions beg more questions. So, "I'm queer" gets the job done and we can continue the conversation we initially meant to have.

"LGBTQ+" or even "LGBT" refers to the community at large. "Queer" can sometimes mean this too, but when we get into the finer details, it becomes separate from distinctly gay, bi, pan, etc. LGBT is the big family, but "Queer" is just a good amount of the people who make up said family.

It's like the whole Square vs Rectangle thing. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. At least, that's how I view it.

11. Loves books

I don’t like the word queer. I don’t like the way it sounds and I don’t like that it means strange or odd. I don’t consider myself queer. I like LGBT+ a lot better and I don’t have a problem calling myself a lesbian.

12. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I honestly dont care which people use with me, im fine with either

13. GayRoachGal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ayo! Hi fellow lesbian! ( i use gay and lesbian interchangeably) ️‍️‍️‍

14. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not gonna lie. I use queer more frequently when I'm talking to lgbt people because it's quicker to say. But I use them as interchangeable. I do try to avoid it if I know someone's more uncomfortable and I don't use it around homophobic people.

And then, yeah, I use gay and lesbian interchangeably to describe myself.

15. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just use gay. I even put it in my username :grin:

16. QueerDylan

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is how I use queer for my gender, I understand the negative connotations of it but I think it fits where I’m at in relation to societal norms, and my general confusion at times. I’d love to move past it when I know myself better, for now I say it, only about myself unless asked to use it, with pride

17. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The trick is talking about other people in the lgbt community. Like, I don't just date gay women. And I don't want to have to specify that I date lesbian, bisexual, and pansexual women. It's easier to just say I date queer women (or lgbt women). A huge part of it too, though, is that the lgbt women I know refer to other lgbt women as queers. Where I'm located and the age group I'm in, that's the cultural norm.

18. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im Bisexual but here lately describing myself as queer lately my mom who is gay too hates it which I get because back in her day it was a nasty word.

19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jakebusman.....I understand how she feels. It's the same for me although I've gotten used to it a little. Some words were just so bad that even when they have been "reclaimed" I still have trouble with them. It's difficult when you've been called those words as an insult to be able to turn around and accept them as ok.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

20. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Queer is a difficult word for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons.

The definition and history of its usage, foremost, is not something that should be forgotten, and a number of you echo that sentiment. I will not disagree with you in sentiment, only in spirit, though I won't talk you out of your conviction. Others calling us "queer" really never feels acceptable to me, either, and it's not one I use away from other LGBTQIA+ people.

In that way, it's a bit like using the n-word, though not quite as ferocious. Neither were ever really nice words, but we can call each other that because we know the struggles, we know the pain, we know the history, and - for however we mean it - we don't mean malice in it.

I will only offer that language is a living thing. It's living because it's made up of consensus rather than history, and ultimately is just made up. Language, like gender or orientation, is a concept we made up based on a small set of behaviors or traits, and since we made it up, we can change it. It's not that it doesn't mean anything anymore. It just means it's different now.

Also, our acronym is cumbersome, forbiddingly so. Perhaps we can do better, perhaps we're shackled to it, but either way, it is certainly at this time the most respectful and appropriate of the two in question, I think we all can agree on that.

#20 DragonChaser, Jun 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2022