1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Roy Batty, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello -

Found EC and liked the diverse discussions on LGBTQ+ community.

A bit about me, I grew up traveling the world, though was rather bookish. So I recall more about the places I've lived by the books that influenced me at that time than most other cultural events.

Also was an athlete and enjoy watching an playing a range of sports, though have settled on baseball and rugby as my primary sports.

Came of age in the 80s/early 90s when access to literature on the queer community was scarce or menacing. Tough to hate and fear the part of you that feels most you. College was when I began to explore and affirm my attractions, though remained cognitively dissonant and stayed 'straight'. It's taken years to start to accept who I am, but in that time I've built a life with those I love and a career.

Heading into middle age, I've come to a crossroad where I'm not sure I can (or want to) continue to hide who I am, but the price of being who I am will upend my partners life, and those closest to me. Damn'd if you do, damn'd if you don't. That said, in my experience helping others and letting others help you is how true change and acceptance occurs.

Look forward to talking with everyone.

Dan

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing your story so far. I hope that you find the support you’re looking for here.

3. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Dan, and welcome.

I share a similar life. I came to a point where if I didn’t become myself, my mental health would have spiralled. I simply couldn’t cope any more.

My family, my husband, my friends, all of them would be affected by my outing myself but the alternative was unthinkable.

I was at breakdown point and had to tell my husband and then everyone else after him. I was lucky. I was met with support. However, some don’t get support.

Still, it has continued to be somewhat tough for me. A magic wand wasn’t been waved. But at least I’m true to myself now.

I wish I could tell you that your journey will be easy but either way it’s difficult.

However, you’re here and you’ll get support. Having people in (or who have been in) similar circumstances is a massive help. I’m glad you have joined! :slight_smile:

4. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you Sunchimes - i love the imagery of your name!

The exhaustion, loneliness, and longing to connect has worn down the anxieties that hold back coming out. I'm in a committed relationship, and my partner means the world to me. When we got together I thought my sexuality as something I could bifurcate, and that my love for her would carry the day. I underestimated or didn't understand how my sexuality was core to who I was until years later. I suspect I'll have to come out to her, but I owe it to her to let her set the terms of how we deal with who I am. Seen enough of the world and experienced a lot to know that my coming out is 'our' coming out and has very real implications for her as well. This forum seems a great place to have honest discussions with people, such as yourself, who under stand this entire process. Look forward to learning more about you and others, and have already felt the value of joining the community. Cheers.

5. Sunchimes

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These processes also take time. You can’t rush them. Even after I came out, it took years for a happy place to be found. Baby steps are good. It’s just as tough for them as it is for us. There’s an element of guilt that you carry along with everything else too. Communication is the key. Good luck! Everything will be ok.

#5 Sunchimes, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  6. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you - I'm sure I will and hope you do so, and more. Cheers

7. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome Dan I enjoy traveling too !

8. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Amazing world out there. Glad traveling is back in the realm of the possible

9. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dan.....Hello and a great big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give support if you need it and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent!) :old_big_grin: when that becomes necessary! There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out and join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. We have some similarities...just twenty years back. You came of age in the 80's & 90's, I came of age in the 60' & 70's. College was also where I began to find out who I really was. I went through the death of my soulmate as I was near the end of college. That event destroyed me in many ways and I turned my back on my sexuality and forced myself into a "straight" mold for the next 40+ years. And If I may quote you "in that time I've built a life with those I love and a career." In 2014 I finally was able to accept that I am and always have been gay. Since then I've been rebuilding my life, doing my best to keep the good...and there is much that is good...and eliminate the not-so-good. Almost all of the not-so-good is within me and I can say that I have made progress in the last 7 1/2 years. A lot of that progress has to do with the wonderful people here on Empty Closets who have helped me so very much. I have also been seeing a therapist for some time now and that was one of the best choices that I ever made, along with Empty Closets!
    So, back to some info on EC...when you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something" When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum: :old_cool:
    *****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.
    *****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_rolleyes: If you have any questions at all, you can post a question on my Profile Page or send me a Private Message.

.....David :gay_pride_flag:

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey @Roy Batty

Welcome to EC. I came out to my wife as a bisexual with the help of this forum about 5 years ago. Everyone has a different journey and we each must navigate it in our own way.

You will find many on this forum who have been where you are. So, I invite you to engage this community as you need.

best to you.

11. I Love Dory

I Love Dory Guest

hihihihi welcome
    glad you're here :slight_smile:

#11 I Love Dory, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2022
  12. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes so happy we have that option again

13. Elcar

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome!!

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Dan! Welcome to EC.

I grew up in northern VA! I definitely miss it at times.

The situation you describe is not uncommon, and certainly complex. There are many stories here in the 'later in life' area of people who have been in your situation, and many different resolutions to it.

One thing that I do think is important in the long term is that you be able to be open with your loved ones. That doesn't necessarily mean ending your marriage. The impact to your worthiness and your sense of self from keeping that secret is severe, and can, over time, impact not only self-esteem but health.

The good news is, there's no rush, and you can take the time you need to figure out the solution that's right for you. I suggest you dive into the threads, post about your thoughts, and begin to determine for yourself what is right.

I also recommend Joe Kort's wonderful book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love", which has almost nothing to do with finding real love but everything to do with understanding yourself. There is a chapter dedicated to heterosexually married gay men, and I think you will find it particularly profound, because it explains that the decision you thought you made alone was probably not actually just yours... Dr. Kort has found that most wives, once their husband comes out, acknowledges that they knew or suspected, and were complicit in keeping the secret. The book is probably out of print, but you can usually find used copies pretty inexpensively on bookfinder. (He has a similarly-titled book as well, that ends in "improving their lives", which is not at all the same and I recommend getting the specific title I recommended.)

I hope you will stick around and dive into the conversations!

15. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Hi David - thank you for the to welcome and guidance. I'm sorry you lost your soulmate. I know how crushing that can be. It seems you built a good life though and made steps toward a more authentic self. I was also glad to read EC encouraged cross thread posting....avoids the echo chambers. Look forward to chatting more. Cheers.

16. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Chip -

Small world! NOVA's a cool place; moved here circa 3 yrs ago.

I haven't the read Kort's book you mentioned, but I read his other book on sexual identity, which I found really interesting. I bet I can hunt down the book you recommended. Interesting point about spouses and knowledge, I'd be interested in reading it. Plan to stick around and look forward to chatting with ya further.

17. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! Glad to have joined the forum. Cool avatar!

18. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Dory! Dory is my niece's favorite character...makes her laugh and laugh

19. Roy Batty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Nick - i think that is the key. To find come out to the the core of my family, then the dominoes will fall

20. I Love Dory

I Love Dory Guest

AWWWW that's so cute i've always loved dory
    it's such nice character :slight_smile: