1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning lesbian but I have a boyfriend

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Shelbee, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Shelbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have identified as bisexual since highschool but recently I've been questioning my attraction to men. Liking women has always been easy, like I can actually picture being intimate with and building a future with a women. But with men, I'm only really attracted to heavily romanticized versions based on romance movies and books. I read through the lesbian masterdoc and it was pretty eye opening as well.

The problem is, now I'm terrified about what this means for my relationship. I have been dating this guy for 7 years, he is my best friend and I do love him but it feels like something is missing. I brought up that I missed women and I saw just how much it hurt him to think that he wasn't enough so I backtracked and just told him how much I love him. He struggles with depression and I'm so scared to send him into a spiral.

I'm terrified of losing him but I also feel like I'm wasting time waiting for these feelings to go away. And if I do admit what I'm feeling then it'll be like those 7 years were a waste of time and only served to make this hurt more for both of us. Not to mention then I'll have to come out of all my friends and family who will then also realize that I have just strung him along.

I feel like I can't figure myself out because I have this avalanche of other things that it would start as well.

poohbearxo and hopefulB like this.
  2. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do understand the ramifications that you talk about and that you will really need to think things through. But also keep in mind that your situation can't be good for others if it isn't good for yourself. I'm sure there will be other replies that can shed more light on this than I can. I do wish you the best in whatever direction you decide on.

Shelbee likes this.
  3. Really

Hey.

First off: you haven’t strung him along nor wasted your time. You were doing what you doing because it felt right at the time and I’m sure you both benefited from your time in the relationship. Not every relationship lasts forever and if you’d been with a woman and he’d been with a different woman, either of those relationships could have had the same duration and ended for any number of reasons. It is what it is. No fault of yours. Circumstances change over time. Please don’t be hard on yourself.

Secondly: as unfortunate as his depression is, you are neither the cause of it nor responsible for him/it. You leaving him will, of course, be sad but his mental state is his responsibility and if it’s that bad he could spiral, he needs professional help. And even if you were one of those types of professionals, it would be wrong for you to treat him anyway.

So…take a breath. You don’t have to figure this all out this minute. Maybe jot down some goals you’d like to work towards. Small ones that’ll move you towards the big one whatever that is. We’re here to help you hash it out if you need it. :]
    And also welcome to EC!:shamrock:

LostInDaydreams and Shelbee like this.
  4. Shelbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your advice. You'rr right, and hearing it really does take some of the pressure off to figure it out right away. I'm not really sure where to start yet because everytime I try to unpack all these other worries come with it but I'll try to take it slow.

poohbearxo likes this.
  5. Really

That’s fine. You don’t need to have a plan yet. Maybe a quick list of some of the big items would help with your focus.

Living arrangements. If you live together, how much work would it to be to find somewhere else? Would he be going or you?

Financials. Are you set to support yourself? If not, what needs changing so you can?

Support network? Do you have friends family who can boost you up and be there for you now and whenever you might come out? Besides us. ;]

I think having a bit of the groundwork taken care of will give you confidence to do the “harder” stuff.

Shelbee likes this.
  6. Shelbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It feels silly that making a plan like this has actually helped a bit with the anxiety of my sexuality. I think it's slowly helping me seperate what I'm really feeling with what I'm pressured to feel.

I'm still not quite sure what I want to do but I have a couple queer friends I'm considering talking too. They were good friends with my boyfriend back in highschool so I was a little worried about talking to them about it but knowing them they'll probably be very understanding and loving.

The other issue is he was planning to move in with me and my other roommates in a couple months. I was putting a lot of stress around making a decision before then because I worried that him moving in would make the choice for me. It's tough but I'll get there.

poohbearxo likes this.
  7. Really

It’s good you have friends to talk to. I’m sure they’ll be helpful to bounce your thoughts off of and being queer, they’ll definitely understand the issues.

I think making a plan always feels good. It proves to you that you’ve got a handle on things in an overall picture kind of way and breaking it down into component parts makes it all more manageable. I mean, who doesn’t love a list, eh? ;}

Has he noticed that you’re not exactly yourself recently? Maybe use that to tell him moving in together is not a good idea at this time but don’t let him infer it might be later on. Stand firm about it not being something you want so he should make arrangements for himself.

Shelbee likes this.
  8. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you weren't in a relationship, would you be able to figure yourself out? Let's just say you were in a new city where you knew no one and you saw an attractive woman smiling at you... what would you do?

poohbearxo likes this.
  9. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds like what I JUST went through. I was engaged to a man and with him for 8.5 years and just almost 2 weeks ago we finally broke up. It's been a huge relief but also very sad since we love each other. You'll figure out what you need to do in time, it's good to work out your feelings first but I also let him know periodically that I was questioning my sexual orientation over the past year so it wasn't a total shock. You'll be okay!

poohbearxo and Shelbee like this.
  11. Shelbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  12. Shelbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for sharing your experience, this forum has really taught me that I'm not alone in my experience and it'll be okay.

I have brought up that I've been missing girls to my boyfriend, since he knows I'm bi, but I hope to also tell him that I am questioning. It's tough to get the nerve up though. Let me know if you have any tips for talking about it without being too harsh.

13. PeachyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah it is definitely hard to start that conversation... I think in my case I repressed it so long that it eventually HAD to come out and I was very emotional about it, probably not the best tactic half the time it was my ex practically begging me to just tell him what was wrong and how I was feeling. If you find a time that feels right or see to talk to him about it, take advantage of that time... It'll feel so much better after talking about it, even if it's also sad.

14. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I didn't mean to try to push anything on you- only you can decide but look what you wrote:
    And from there, all the objections are about what other people would think, or that you're worried about hurting people:
    That's natural and understandable. But you don't write 'I am also really attracted to men' or "i fantasize about men easily too' .
    if you were reading this about someone else, what would your opinion be?

Shelbee likes this.
  15. poohbearxo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Shelbee, I unfortunately don't have any advice for you because I am in the exact same boat. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone at all, and if you ever need a chat or someone to relate to, I am here :slight_smile: I've been with my boyfriend 7 years too, we are due to buy a house soon and I have identified as bisexual since high school, but the masterdoc and other things have made me question my sexuality and made me realise that I am a lesbian, but like you, my boyfriend suffers from depression and he has extremely low self-esteem to the point where I feel like I can't ever leave the relationship because I don't want him doing anything harmful to himself.

We will get through this one way or another, it is so refreshing to hear that someone is in a similar situation to myself, and I wish you all the happiness for the future x

Shelbee likes this.
  16. Shelbee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm here for you too! And I hope we can both figure it out. For me I've started trying to lay some groundwork as others have suggested and it's helped take some of the pressure off of feeling like I'm going to tear his whole world down if I tell him. I'm working up the courage to tell him that I'm questioning and I'm also trying to see if I can get him to go to therapy. We are not responsible for our boyfriends mental health but for me I feel like this will help me decide what I really want to do about my situation.

Don't know if this will help you too but if you figure anything out let me know. My heart goes out to you ❤️

poohbearxo likes this.