1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I get hate?..

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Andreana, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Andreana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Something ive noticed which really hurts as ive gotten hate, claims im fake lgbtqia+, and even death threats. I am christian and i support Trump. Some people take me as racist or homophobic for these claims. It confuses me because it makes me feel horrible and that im wrong. Im pan, poly some gender iunno but im really gay- therefore the toxic ends of rebublicans and christianity ruins how im looked at. Im scared to say what i beleive and what i support. Politics shouldnt be a big deal we can all have opinions as long as they dont harm anybody right? But i dont think me supporting Trump and being a christian is hurting anybody. Way too many people look at me wrong for my mixed and controversial beliefs. It hurts. Im scared to share my opinion, can anybody help?

2. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! I'm Lydia. I want you to know, first and foremost, I don't judge you as a person based on your beliefs. Actions are how I judge people, and you chose to open up, to be vulnerable. That's brave. In return, I will be respectful, but I will also be honest. Please understand sometimes these two may seem in conflict, but I would not give someone the real truth if I did not respect them.

There's a lot to unpack here. Politics are, whether we like it or not, the business of living. It's how we keep the world from falling apart with 7 billion people poking around a finite space, all wanting both the same and different things at the same time, none of which there ever seems to be enough of. It's also how we keep large swaths of people from starving or dying of illness or starting wars.

Put directly, our political affiliation grants the political organization to which we are affiliated legitimacy, and thus enables their actions. So, if said political party were to, say, systematically defund programs that support LGBTQ+ people, oust transpeople from the armed services, and pack the courts to bursting with evangelical judges who have public records of speaking and ruling against the Community writ large, and you were to expressly support that party, I can see why people would be, at the very least, confused.

It would be if I, as a vegetarian by way of ethics, were to buy cosmetics exclusively from a brand testing their products on living animal specimens. It's not my fault the company is doing so, to be sure, and I may have a thousand other reasons for liking the products, but the material effect is my money goes to helping make their immoral actions possible.

I'm not saying that having a different political view is wrong. But there's also a large contingent of the political party - and the man himself - that you vocally support that are expressly trying to make the world outright uninhabitable for us. And they haven't been quiet or gentle about it, either.

I make no accusations that you are a traitor, nor would I turn you away from any group I was a part of because you are an avowed Christian or Republican. But I ask you reconsider the latter and - if we're being honest - the former as well. You needn't abandon them outright, but maybe filter them through your morals as they are. Consider what you believe and who you think deserves what and then look at what they truly stand for. Not what they claim to stand for, but what they really actually do in this big old world of ours.

Maybe then, you'll understand why some feathers are ruffled.

Either way, I hope this finds you well and that people don't feel so inclined to challenge you. I know how frustrating and tiring that can be.

quebec, Andreana, Rayland and 2 others like this.
  3. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have two things to bring up here:

1. Many LGBTQIA+ people have been harrassed and condemned by Christians in one form or another. I am also a Christian and have been on the recieving end of such behavior for being bi and trans. If someone in the LGBTQIA+ community says anything to me about it I tell them I have suffered some of the same treatment and understand where that anger is coming from. I did the whole being angry at God thing for a bit myself, but I got over it. It's good thing to keep in mind they are likely not angry at you directly or are projecting that bad experience on you.

2. I cannot accurately speak on anything about Trump and racism because I'm white and thus wouldn't have directly experienced it. I do know that he banned trans people from being in the military though and there were policies that barred gay couples from adopting children being passed. I agreed with him on tariffs and that was it for me personally. There are many politicians that make me angry because they try to make things harder for people like us (unfortunately it is skewed towards republicans).

I don't judge people based on these things, like Lydia said, it's about your actions. Some will be bothered by it, but that's their problem.

Andreana, Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    WhatAmIAndrew.....There are a lot of LGBTQIA+ Folks who have been treated really bad by people who call themselves Christians. Because of that, their reaction to what you're talking about is probably understandable, even if it's wrong. I am a Christian and I get quite upset when I hear other C. use foul language when talking about our LGBTQIA+ Family. Jesus gave us the best commandment of all when he said to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself (my paraphrase). Everyone has the right to their own political opinions and if someone disagrees an honest, fair and civil discussion is perfectly fine. If it turns into name-calling, etc. then a line has been crossed and it's no longer acceptable. Unfortunately, that happens all to often recently. All we can do is try to make any conversation that we are in adhere to civilized principles.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Andreana, Rayland and TinyWerewolf like this.
  5. Ipswichfan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is sad that people believe you are (fill in the blank), that therefore you have certain other beliefs, likes, qualities, etc. I know some gay men are into cross dressing. That doesn’t mean all are. And I don’t feel the need to go into pro wrestling interview mode about why they’re bad. I would just say “No thanks. Not my cup of tea.”

6. Mysticsnow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't talk politics with anyone, because it causes so many arguments between people, we only have so much time on this Earth, we should just get along instead of fighting or spewing hate towards one another, I really don't like talking about me believing in god either because I have had people tell me that I can't be gay and Christian that god hates sin and that I am going to hell all because I am gay and trans, I have nothing against Christianity as a whole but I do when other Christians Judge me or anyone for that matter because they don't agree with who they are, Judging is a sin but yet some Christians think they have every right to judge others, I was told once by someone who said they where Christian on a Facebook page in the comment section of an lgbtq+ page that they had every right to judge me because god said so, I don't mind anyone's political views as long as you aren't hateful to me or threaten me or try anything that can harm me or my family than we are good, But if I where you I probably wouldn't tell anyone who I voted for if I was getting death threats because that is what can get you into trouble.

Andreana likes this.
  7. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Trump will always inspire strong reactions. It’s his job. So it follows that if you tell people nothing about yourself other than that you support him, well, the reaction isn’t really about you, but him. I couldn’t hate you if I wanted to (which I don’t). What would I be hating? I don’t know a thing about you! Words like “conservative” and “Trump supporter” change definition from person to person. I have no clue what conservatism is to you, or what values you hold dear that you identify with Donald Trump. Knowing that would be far more interesting and useful than just slapping an imaginary “Trump supporter” costume on you and assuming the worst.

Andreana likes this.
  8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One group of people believes something, that fits with their ideals and interprate it how they feel it fits into society. Problems arise, when they try to make it seem like it's the only right way to live.

We all also have different viewpoints or ideals and it's important how we present them to others, but it's also important to know why others might have different viewpoints or ideals, so you could discuss them and healthy discussion is good, but when the discussions get heated and the emotions get better of the people, then arguments arise.

The best thing to do is to never push your beliefs onto others. You should explain them and provide evidence, if you can. You should also respect others people opinions and see how there are always 2 sides of one coin.

Something to remember is that you are your own person and your beliefs and opinions are your own. If everyone would think, feel and believe the same things, then the world would be so much more boring. It's also important to take care of your mental health and step away from an argument, if you need to.

Andreana likes this.
  9. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will admit that I would have a very hard time understanding your politics, not just because you are a member of this community, but because I don't understand supporting Trump period. Would I have some preconceived notions of you, honestly yes. Would I go on attack in a political conversation, no. I would try to be civil and open, but it would be challenging. By the same notion, I wouldn't exactly hold back either. While I may have some preconceived notions against certain types of Christians, but I can put that in check much more easily. I'd make any judgements based on your actions rather than any particular brand of faith. This probably not what you wanted to hear and it is not particularly fun to admit, but it is honest.

Andreana likes this.
  10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes it's important for us to be direct in our answers and this is one such occasion. Will you get hate from the wider LGBTQ community for declaring yourself a pro-Trump Christian? Yes - it's very likely you will, I'm afraid. The overwhelming majority of people within the LGBTQ community are deeply suspicious of right wing politics (with good reason) and when somebody declares themselves a supporter of a very right wing politician who has signed off on policies that do our community great harm that suspicion is magnified 100 times.

Whilst it may be true that sexuality and gender identity is only part of what we vote on, we cannot be ignorant to these matters and we cannot separate ourselves from our core human identity. If a politician or party adopts policies that are prejudicial to our health, freedom and identity we cannot in good conscience vote for them, and if we do and then go out on a limb to endorse them, it's likely to provoke a very hostile backlash. You do understand that, don't you?

Your faith is more nuanced. I think most reasonable people within the LGBTQ community can distinguish a fair and liberal minded Christian from an over zealous fundamentalist. When it comes to your faith, much will depend on your personal approach. If you are using Christianity as a political tool and seeking to control people with passages snipped out of the Bible it will cause great offence. But if your faith is intelligent and motivates you to love and affirm people to live their best lives it's not going to be a problem. It's a choice you make!

11. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For what's it's worth I have a friend of mine whom I've known since we were both in primary school. We've diverged in very different directions in the decades since - he's now firmly pro-Trump, pro-Brexit, anti-anything 'woke' and I make no secret that I abhor his political allegiances.

Anyway, a few weeks ago we met up for the first time in over two years. I came out to him and actually he was ok. "You're the same person, aren't you?" he said. I replied "of course" and we made an arrangement to meet up soon.

The moral? Try to look beyond the politics and see what is in a person's heart.

Beth

12. Andreana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with many of your responses. Just knoiw from this im not trying to get attention or say a sob story but my parents are toxic christians and trump supporters and i dont even know how deep i am into politics but it might be because of my parents for beliefs. It might be the fear of y parents hating me even more but I definently agree that some things that the Trump community does sucks ass. Tbh lot of it is. Theres just certaain things that make the difference but it still hurts like hell when people wont let me explain myself as im pretty confused and just raised on the thought of republicn beleifs. It really sucks that theres christians out there like my parents who are like "love thy neighbor" and then go hate on everybody for no reason. Idk though tbh i think politics are kind of dumb but im still on the one end and people shouldnt send hate towaards other over their beliefs and thoughts as long as they as a person arenrts harming anybody. I accept all religions and some people think i dont because im often surrounded by toxic christians (as of my family, school, town.) It all sucks. I saw one person say that we should all not worry baout hating eachother for this stuff since we only live once, which is a short time. I completely agree we should all get along and not hate echother for dumb reasons. I dont care about peoples race, religion, or over just any beleifs if they dont harm anybody. ( lalso i apologoize y computers brokien and i cant rlly type nso uhh)

DragonChaser likes this.
  13. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What I still haven’t heard is what it is about you that MAKES you a Trump supporter. So you’re parents are, okay. Political affiliation isn’t genetic! It sounds like you’re having a hard time finding acceptance in your home, and you’re doing what you have to do to protect yourself. I’m so sorry. We all adopt identities to get by. You have to put on the red hat at home. Just remember that Donald Trump has nothing to do with your identity, or anyone else’s. You’re you.

Rayland and TinyWerewolf like this.
  14. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think about John 3:16 a lot as well as John 8:7. I think a person can be Christian and still be themselves. I think if a person tries to hide themselves, from experience, it is very self-destructive both mentally and physically. This applies to not just sexuality but also other aspects of life.
    Conservative have had a history of trying to suppress the LGBT Community. Things like raiding gay clubs and arresting people to blackballing people and forcing them out of their jobs. Yes, among some groups you will get hate.
    As I have gotten older, I have learned to cut toxic people out of my life, yep, sometimes it is hard but remember to do what you need to do for yourself. Blood isn't always family.

Rayland, quebec and TinyWerewolf like this.
  15. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm with you there WhatAmIAndrew!

Personally, I feel that as long as you treat others how you would like to be treated yourself (which, after all, sits at the heart of all the major religions of the world) then you won't go far wrong in life.

#15 chicodeoro, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    Rayland and quebec like this.
  16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The challenge with being a Trump supporter is that Trump supports doing away with gay marriage, eliminating trans rights, supporting curricula that prohibits teaching kids about LGBT issues (and, for that matter, teaching kids an honest history of all of the discrimination and bias and oppression that's taken place over the past 200 years). One can say "Oh he isn't personally against those things" except that... the Supreme Court justices and the hundreds of other justices that were installed on his watch are downright crazy. Most have been labeled "unfit to serve" due to their extremist views and lack of judicial competence by an independent organization that evaluates judges.

Add to that Trump's attempts to keep trans people from serving in the military, his suspending of Federal protections for LGBT people... and it's really hard to reconcile how someone can be LGBT+ and also be in support of someone who, literally, would like to see all LGBT people go away entirely.

Now... if these are just views you grew up with... that's one thing. But if that's the case, I invite you to spend some time learning about what Trump and his ilk (Pence, Cruz, Marco Rubio, Ron DeSantis) would do, if they had the ability to do so, about taking away rights and privileges from LGBT people. There's a high likelihood we won't have gay marriage for more than another few years if Repubs stay in power. There's an equally high likelihood that gay rights in employment, housing, adoption, and even basics like medical care will go away as well. The religious right is, literally, crazy.

Batman, Mysticsnow, Rayland and 3 others like this.