1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be submissive in a healthy way?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rdougall1, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

I promise this question is not as risgey as it seems in the title I have discovered a couple things about myself since exploring my subconscious. One of the things I am trying to improve is my communication pattern and not being taken for granted. I have discovered that I am not as good at flirting with guys directly and that I would like to offer help instead as a way to let them know I like them. I have discovered that I identify a lot more with straight females than I thought I did growing up.

I’m wondering how to be myself while also standing up for myself at the same time. I don’t want to repress any part of my identity but I also have a history of being so submissive that my needs are not being met.

I hope this question makes sens.

#1 Rdougall1, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it makes sense and it sounds very familiar. I need to give it a little thought.

3. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Y2B

Y2B

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's attractive to me, but hard to read. My friend is not a charmer, but he's showing affection by caring for me. I had to open up to him first to earn his trust. It takes a lot of determination. Sorry, that I'm talking about my stuff, but I want ask you a question. Would you like a boy who is flirty with you and help you open up on that, or you don't like flirting at all and you prefer to have a boy who is not flirty, just like you?

5. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is never easy to balance these kinds of energies. Unfortunately, it is something to work at daily. Fortunately, you've taken the first step which is becoming aware of it. I think that you just have to work at acknowledging those moments when your needs aren't being met, take a moment, breathe, realize that you have a right to have your needs met, push aside the doubts and fears, and just ask.

6. Rdougall1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Y2B, I guess I would rather have a guy who is flirty with me first. I think my “version” of letting a guy know I like him is by doing favors for him and making him feel special that way as opposed to being direct. I’ve tried hitting on guys directly and the words just don’t come naturally.

I feel like my love language is acting in a caretaking manner, which kind of defies society’s norms around “masculinity”. I’m trying to balance that with not being taken for granted. I am naturally a nice person but I have been taken advantage of in the past.

I don’t want to go back to the version of myself where I try hard to fit in but I also want to be able to stand up for myself if I feel like a guy might be taking advantage of me.

7. Y2B

Y2B

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just like my friend exactly. Your love language is beautiful. Always be yourself and don't try to change. I'm the flirty one and I was struggling, because he could do everything for me, but all I needed was a hug. I didn't give up, but not everyone is god of patience like me, so make sure you give them physical signs. You don't have to be flirty, but something like a hug or grabbing hand is enough to show interest, and reward their efforts.

#7 Y2B, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think some people get the wrong idea about flirting and they really build it up in their minds. They regard it as something overt; a kind of art that you need to be skilled in, when it's really nothing of the sort. Most people don't flirt in overt ways with neat one-liners that hook people like a fish. In the overwhelming majority of cases it's a lot more subtle... it's about showing interest, being attentive, developing conversation and offering kind responses and deserved compliments. It's about smiling and being open and genuine. If we set our minds to it, we can all do these things.

When you talk about standing up for yourself, that's something different. It's more about confidence and self esteem and how your perceive yourself in dialogue and relationship with others. If this is a problem area for you it might be worth investigating with a therapist who can look at the causative issues and maybe help you out with some confidence training or assertiveness training.